jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Bayside Shakedown (Odoru Daisosasen)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shin2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No Mizuno Miki in the upcoming OD film:

Blacklisted Miki Mizuno dropped from 'Bayside Shakedown'
Thursday 01st April, 05:00 AM JST

TOKYO �\
One of the golden rules of the Japanese entertainment industry is that the audience always comes last.

Fans of the �gOdoru Daisosasen�h (Bayside Shakedown) police comedy-drama series were disappointed to hear that the latest movie installment, due to hit theaters this July, will be arriving without mainstay Miki Mizuno. The actress, who played police sergeant Yukino Kashiwagi in the original TV series and its lucrative big-screen outings, has been replaced this time around by Yuki Uchida (�gCat�fs Eye�h).

According to a report by Cyzo magazine, Mizuno effectively got herself blacklisted when she parted company with talent agency Burning Productions in 2005, incurring the wrath of president Ikuo Suho. The latter apparently used his influence to ensure that the actress didn�ft get a look-in with the latest film; her replacement, naturally, is herself represented by Burning.

This is far from the only example of talent agencies meddling in the movie world. Earlier in the year, Cyzo reported that Johnny�fs Jimusho had been interfering in the production of the forthcoming �gSpace Battleship Yamato�h adaptation. When SMAP star Takuya Kimura was cast in the lead role, the agency apparently demanded that the focus of the film be shifted from SFX-heavy space battles to Kimutaku-heavy human drama.

Well, at least they�fll be happy with the movie�\even if nobody else is.

This story originally appeared in Metropolis magazine (www.metropolis.co.jp)

This sucks. Shake Head
Btw, the talent agency mentioned in the article--Burning Productions--is run by the yakuza.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

shin2 wrote:
This is far from the only example of talent agencies meddling in the movie world. Earlier in the year, Cyzo reported that Johnny�fs Jimusho had been interfering in the production of the forthcoming �gSpace Battleship Yamato�h adaptation. When SMAP star Takuya Kimura was cast in the lead role, the agency apparently demanded that the focus of the film be shifted from SFX-heavy space battles to Kimutaku-heavy human drama.

Well, at least they�fll be happy with the movie�\even if nobody else is.

Yuuuuck. bleh

Of course, that's why he was cast, huh? And what everyone was afraid of.

Instead of Space Battleship Yamato, it's gonna be Kimutaku Broods and Mugs in Outer Space. Shake Head

Quote:
Btw, the talent agency mentioned in the article--Burning Productions--is run by the yakuza.

Yikes. Sweat
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Odoru Daisousasen 3" earns close to 1 billion yen in opening weekend
Mon, July 5, 2010 (12:34pm EDT)
The third "Odoru Daisousasen" movie opened this past weekend, and the box office numbers have now been announced. During the two weekend days, the film earned close to 972 million yen on 447 screens across the country, accounting for more than 707,000 viewers.

The movie's distributor, Toho, hopes that the it can reach the elusive 10 billion yen mark, which has so far only been achieved by three live-action Japanese films. Two of them are the previous movies in the "Odoru Daisousasen" franchise - the first film earned 10.1 billion yen and the second one earned 17.4 billion yen, respectively ranking #3 and #1 on Japan's list of highest-grossing live-action films of all time. Although the franchise's popularity has proven itself before, the film still has a long way to go. Last year's "ROOKIES" movie actually had a better opening weekend at 1.2 billion yen on 428 screens, but in the end it only reached a total of 8.55 billion yen.

I wonder if any of our Japanese JDorama members have seen it? If so, would like to hear your comments.

And I found another video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrrfZa7TU48&feature=related
xploring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Odoru Daisousasen" mobile series to get limited theater screenings
Fri, July 23, 2010 (11:17pm EDT)
The third "Odoru Daisousasen" movie has been doing very well in theaters, and now its related mobile phone series will also be getting a little time on the big screen. Titled "Kakarichou Aoshima Shunsaku: THE MOBILE," the series will be screened for just one week at only two theaters.

The 12-episode series was first revealed in June to be an original story covering the first three cases after detective Shunsaku Aoshima (played by Yuji Oda) gets promoted to section chief. Part of the story is connected to the plot of the movie, which opened in theaters about a month after the mobile series began.

So far, the mobile series has been available only to users of NTT DoCoMo phones, but the number of downloads has been astounding. Last year, "Amalfi Begins" was similarly released as mobile content in connection with the movie "Amalfi: Megami no Hoshu" (which also starred Oda), and that achieved 1.6 million downloads. "Kakarichou Aoshima Shunsaku: THE MOBILE," however, has already passed 3.5 million downloads and is expected to exceed 5 million in the end. Based on the number of downloads, DoCoMo is considering applying for a Guinness world record, if possible.

Due to the show's success, Toho is teaming up with DoCoMo to bring the series to two of Toho's theaters (in Yurakucho, Tokyo, and in Umeda, Osaka) as a 70-minute film. There will be only one screening per day at each theater, limited to the week of August 7-13.

Meanwhile, "Odoru Daisousasen: The Movie 3" is on track to become the number-one live-action Japanese film of the year, having earned 4.1 billion yen on 3 million tickets so far. With the start of summer break and the expected boost from the screening of the mobile series, Toho is hoping for even bigger box office success.
Source: Sankei Sports
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

xploring wrote:

Meanwhile, "Odoru Daisousasen: The Movie 3" is on track to become the number-one live-action Japanese film of the year, having earned 4.1 billion yen on 3 million tickets so far. With the start of summer break and the expected boost from the screening of the mobile series, Toho is hoping for even bigger box office success.

I know box office numbers don't necessarily mean a movie is any good, but I'll take this as a positive sign.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Bayside Shakedown 3 DVD release will be 2/2/11 w00t!
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rented Odoru Daisosasen The Movie 3 this weekend. Watched it twice. It's not as good as #2 probably because A) No Chosuke Ikariya, and B) Too much Shun Oguri. Although for me, more than 30 seconds of Shun Oguri is too much.

It was fun to see all the old "regulars" though. The 3 Amigos, Yanagiba and Eri Fukatsu. Mizuno wasn't there, but Uchida made up for that. The plot was okay but it was just more about seeing all the old gang again.
shin2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Rented Odoru Daisosasen The Movie 3 this weekend. Watched it twice. It's not as good as #2 probably because A) No Chosuke Ikariya, and B) Too much Shun Oguri. Although for me, more than 30 seconds of Shun Oguri is too much.

It was fun to see all the old "regulars" though. The 3 Amigos, Yanagiba and Eri Fukatsu. Mizuno wasn't there, but Uchida made up for that. The plot was okay but it was just more about seeing all the old gang again.

Was it English subbed?

Is it true that Maya Miki's character from #2 is in this one?

Speaking of characters, is Yusuke Santamaria's character in this one? I'm curious because his character is supposed to be married to Mizuno Miki's character, and as I posted on this thread previously, Mizuno was blacklisted from working on this movie.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

shin2 wrote:

Was it English subbed?

Is it true that Maya Miki's character from #2 is in this one?

Speaking of characters, is Yusuke Santamaria's character in this one? I'm curious because his character is supposed to be married to Mizuno Miki's character, and as I posted on this thread previously, Mizuno was blacklisted from working on this movie.

No, it had Japanese subs (that's why I had to watch it twice). Miki Maya wasn't in it and Yusuke Santamaria's character was there but he didn't have much to do. His character spent most of his time trying to sell some DVD drama he had made. I guess that was to provide some comic relief, everybody kept turning him down.
Geezer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Re: the article about Miki Mizuno not getting to do the third movie because she was blacklisted by Burning Productions.

shin 2 said:
Quote:
This sucks.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that a company run by the yakuza has final casting approval for a movie about cops?

Oh well. I'm a Mizuno fan... but I'm flat out daffy about Uchida Yuki. And it's not like she comes to the project out of the blue. Yuki stared in two "Odoru Daisosasen" TV movies in the late 90's after the series finished.
shin2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:

Does it strike anyone else as odd that a company run by the yakuza has final casting approval for a movie about cops?

Not as odd as Lane Kiffin being hired by three different organizations in a space of four years to run their football programs.

Geezer wrote:
Oh well. I'm a Mizuno fan... but I'm flat out daffy about Uchida Yuki. And it's not like she comes to the project out of the blue. Yuki stared in two "Odoru Daisosasen" TV movies in the late 90's after the series finished.

Umm . . . I remember Uchida being in one of the TV movies playing a rookie traffic officer, but I don't remember the other one.
Geezer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

shin2

Yup. She was in two of them. But since neither of them was ever subbed (to my knowledge) I couldn't tell you much about what they were about. I just stared at Yuki, smiled when they played the theme music, and watched for regulars from the original cast to make cameo appearances.

The Lane Kiffen thing is even more of a mystery to me. My best guess is... people just wanted to get his father on staff, and they were willing to hire Lane to get him. But that's just a guess.
xploring

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Final �gOdoru Daisousasen�h movie scheduled for September 2012
Posted on December 28, 2011 by tokyograph

The �gOdoru Daisousasen�h franchise will be coming to a close next year. It has been announced that the next movie, scheduled for release in September 2012, will be the last one ever, ending a 15-year history.

�gOdoru Daisousasen,�h also known as �gBayside Shakedown�h in English, is a television drama series starring Oda Yuji (44) as the iconic police detective Aoshima Shunsaku. The drama first aired in 1997 and has had multiple special episodes and spin-offs since then.

More importantly, the series has spawned some of the most successful movies ever. The first movie, released in 1998, grossed 10.1 billion yen at the box office, the #3 highest-grossing live-action film in history. The second movie, released in 2003, outdid that by grossing more than 17.3 billion yen, becoming #1 on that ranking. A third movie was released in 2010, earning 7.3 billion yen.

Counting two spin-off movies released in 2005, the franchise has earned approximately 42.79 billion yen in theaters, with a collective audience of 31.27 million people.

The new movie, tentatively titled �gOdoru Daisousasen THE FINAL,�h will again be directed by Motohiro Katsuyuki, produced by Kameyama Chihiro, and written by Kimizuka Ryoichi. Full details of the story have not yet been announced, but it is said to take place two years after the previous film, during a busy 3-day period when an energy summit is being held.

Yanagiba Toshiro (50) and Fukatsu Eri (38) have been confirmed as returning cast members. Fans complained that Yanagiba and Oda�fs characters had little interaction in the last film, so producer Kameyama promises that this film will fix that. It is also said that there will be a big change in the relationship between Oda and Fukatsu�fs characters.

Filming for the movie will take place between January and April 2012, and post-production is expected to finish in August, in time for a September release.

Sources:
Eiga.com
Cinema Today
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ I dunno if this is good or not. Honestly, "Odoru 3" was pretty disappointing which is indicated in the numbers. It grossed less than half of "Odoru 2".

Maybe they think they milk this for one more but they better have a REAL good script. As shin2 and Geezer mentioned earlier, Miki Mizuno is out, Ikariya is dead so I have serious doubts about this.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SMAP�fs Katori Shingo will be playing the role of the villian in �eOdoru Daisousasen THE FINAL Aratanaru Kibou�e.

In the past, Katori has dressed up as detective Aoshima for a �eOdoru Daisousasen�f parody on his show, �eSMAP�~SMAP�e. He commented, �gAs a fan, my dream of entering the world of �eOdoru�f has come true. I�fve always wanted to appear in it.�h It�fs said that there will be a showdown scene between Katori�fs character and detective Aoshima.

Although he�fs known for his cheerful and outgoing personality, Katori will have very few lines in the film. Director Motohiro Katsuyuki explained, �gHe will show us an insane act that he normally doesn�ft show. Just by those expressions, I really felt Katori-san�fs appeal.�h

�eOdoru Daisousasen THE FINAL Aratanaru Kibou�f will open in theaters nationwide on September 7.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm about a year late asking, but did anybody see the final movie?

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lscRF0YvL-o
EstherM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah me at the theatre - it was okay but not great. It was fun to revisit the police station and meet beloved characters but the actual story was just a 6 or 7 out of 10.

EDIT: I had the same feeling about the previous one (nr. 3)
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks! I'll probably watch it just to get the nostalgia buzz. I didn't think much of number 3 either.
shin2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This franchise made a lot of money, but the quality precipitously dropped after the second movie. Even the most ardent OD fans would have to admit sequels 3 and 4 were mediocre at best.

In addition to the 4 OD films, there were two spinoff movies. The one with Yusuke Santamaria's character, Mashita, was actually very good (English title: The Negotiator), certainly a lot better than the third and fourth OD films. The other spinoff, involving Yanagiba Toshiro's character (Superintendent Muroi) wasn't as good, although it had the funniest OD cameo ever involving the "three amigos" and Maya Miki's character.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: