jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Computers and Related Hardware/Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto.

http://youtu.be/3cShYbLkhBc

Man, I hate that song... Don't like the group much, either. Beaten
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Man, I hate that song... Don't like the group much, either. Beaten

Now you know how I feel about those headsets... Wink
bmwracer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Clear evidence that the floods in Thailand have affected HDD prices: the 2TB HDD that I bought months ago for $70 is now $150.... Sweat

I'd guess all computers' (Mac, PC, desktop, laptop) prices would go up accordingly...
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
Clear evidence that the floods in Thailand have affected HDD prices: the 2TB HDD that I bought months ago for $70 is now $150.... Sweat

I'd guess all computers' (Mac, PC, desktop, laptop) prices would go up accordingly...

Wow that's proof of a serious price increase.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rock-steady Gigabyte G1.Sniper2 Z68 motherboard gets a nod of approval

Not enticed by all that Sandy Bridge E havoc that hit the PC market today? Good for you, because there's still plenty of life left in the first-gen LGA1155 Sandy Bridge processors and Gigabyte has put out another high-end Z68-based motherboard to prove it. The G1.Sniper2 just won itself a HotHardware recommendation, and if you look past the violent branding and color scheme you'll see why: the $360 premium card has the full gamut of ports and connections and delivers rock solid stability even when overclocked right up the limits of an i7-2600K CPU.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Western Digital purchase of Hitachi's hard drive business approved by EU regulators

Two of the hard drive industry's biggest players will soon be just one company. European Union regulators have given a conditional thumbs-up to Western Digital's plans to snatch up Hitachi's storage division for $4.3 billion. The companies are the second and third largest hard disk manufacturers in the world (respectively) behind Seagate, which purchased Samsung's HDD division back in April. Out of concern for the quickly consolidating market, regulators only approved the Western Digital deal after assurances that the company would sell off some its production assets, including a manufacturing plant, and transfer some intellectual property to the new unit being put on the auction block. As soon as WD finds a buyer it'll be free and clear to take over Hitachi's HDD division. So, anyone interested in a hard drive manufacturing plant?
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Modular USB flash drive concept offers a new way to sort your data

USB drives may come in all shapes and sizes these days, but they all basically give you one of two choices: you can buy one big drive to store as much of your data as possible, or juggle a bunch of drives if you want to keep things separate. Designer Hyunsoo Song has proposed an alternative with this so-called Amoeba modular USB flash drive, however, which let you sort your data on individual drives that can be used both on their own or together as one large drive. The idea there being that you can keep the drives together most of the time, and just detach the appropriate section if you want to share only your photos or videos with someone. Of course, the keyword here is "concept," but it's not exactly as far beyond the realm of possibility as some others we've seen.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Way cool. Victory! Peace!

Prototype peripherals incorporate no moving parts, multitouch functionality and freaking lasers

Full story here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/28/insert-coin-prototype-peripherals-incorporate-no-moving-parts/
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eyez 720p video streaming / recording glasses hands-on

Sure, you may already lead an exciting life, but wouldn't it be great if you could broadcast those daily escapades -- you know, to all of your internet friends? ZionEyez hopes to deliver a method for sharing your point of view -- quite literally -- in realtime, across the web. The company's first product, a set of 720p embedded-camera eyeglasses called Eyez, houses a tiny camera to the left of the standard-size eyeglass lens, with a processor, Bluetooth and WiFi module embedded in the adjacent ear piece. We first read about the inconspicuous specs when the company launched a Kickstarter page, netting nearly $350,000 in pledges from curious backers, but just had an opportunity to spend a few hours with the device, recording the journey to a meeting in New York City.
brad2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds fascinating, but I am assuming that you can switch them on and off for the sake of discretion now and then, without removing them.
It sounds very MI5 or Bondish. Do they only work in daylight?

And to think I am trying to find out why I can't speed up my access to my Outlook Express today..... Bonk
bmwracer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

brad2 wrote:
Sounds fascinating, but I am assuming that you can switch them on and off for the sake of discretion now and then, without removing them.
It sounds very MI5 or Bondish. Do they only work in daylight?

Not sure.

Here's the complete article: http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/07/eyez-720p-video-streaming-recording-glasses-hands-on-video/ Smile
brad2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seems to have a long way to go before retailing.

Why do comments always seem to be written by amateur comedians and detractors?

Wonder if they laughed when Nelson used his spyglass? Especially when he put it to his blind eye and went full sail ahead....to a victory.

thanks for link BMW
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hitachi outs a pair of 4TB HDDs for your storing pleasure

We here at Engadget believe that, while keeping data in the cloud is certainly convenient, one can never have too much local storage space. Hitachi shares our enthusiasm for commodious HDDs, and has rolled out a pair of 4TB drives to keep all your movies, music, and photos close to home. For those wanting to up the ante in their desktop machine, the Deskstar 5K4000 should do the trick with a SATA 6Gb/s connection and 32MB buffer. Its stablemate, the Touro Desk External Drive, brings the same HDD in an onyx enclosure and connects to your computer via USB 3.0 -- plus you get 3GB of cloud storage free from Hitachi. (Who says you can't eat your cake and have it too?) The 5K4000 is available now for a penny under $400, while the Touro will cost $420 once it hits the market in January.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Caltech sets 186Gbps Internet speed record, makes our 5Mbps look even more inadequate

Did you know that the Large Hadron Collider at CERN has already produced 100 petabytes of data that needed to be sent out to labs across the world for analysis? Pushing that amount of information across the Internet is a gargantuan task, which is why Caltech teamed up with the Universities of Victoria, Michigan and Florida (International) amongst others to try and break the internet speed record. Using commercially available gear (including Dell servers with SSDs), it was able to push 98Gbps and pull 88Gbps down a single 100Gbps fibre-optic connection between the Washington State convention center in Seattle and the University of Victoria computing center in British Columbia. Head on past the break for a video that shows you how it was done and why it probably won't be commercially available in time to super-size your Netflix queue.
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
Caltech sets 186Gbps Internet speed record, makes our 5Mbps look even more inadequate

Did you know that the Large Hadron Collider at CERN has already produced 100 petabytes of data that needed to be sent out to labs across the world for analysis? Pushing that amount of information across the Internet is a gargantuan task, which is why Caltech teamed up with the Universities of Victoria, Michigan and Florida (International) amongst others to try and break the internet speed record. Using commercially available gear (including Dell servers with SSDs), it was able to push 98Gbps and pull 88Gbps down a single 100Gbps fibre-optic connection between the Washington State convention center in Seattle and the University of Victoria computing center in British Columbia. Head on past the break for a video that shows you how it was done and why it probably won't be commercially available in time to super-size your Netflix queue.

Dayem that's ridiculous. You could have everybody in L.A. on one fat free public Wi-fi pipe and it would even slow down...Bleah Just kidding I'm don't that to be true....hehe
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
Dayem that's ridiculous. You could have everybody in L.A. on one fat free public Wi-fi pipe and it would even slow down...Bleah Just kidding I'm don't that to be true....hehe

Hehe. hehe

Funny thing is that there are no routers, switches, etc. that run any faster than 1Gbps, so that data comes to a 405-at-rush-hour bottleneck when it reaches your doorstep. Beaten
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Hehe. hehe

Funny thing is that there are no routers, switches, etc. that run any faster than 1Gbps, so that data comes to a 405-at-rush-hour bottleneck when it reaches your doorstep. Beaten

Ah yeah that's right! 405...haha.
Jav_sol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For the past couple of days, my computer has been giving issues of not turning on. I've had to unplug the power cord a couple of times before it started up. Sweat
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jav_sol wrote:
For the past couple of days, my computer has been giving issues of not turning on. I've had to unplug the power cord a couple of times before it started up. Sweat

Power supply? I know on my old desktop it went kaput once and I had to change it.
Jav_sol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
Power supply? I know on my old desktop it went kaput once and I had to change it.

Yeah, that's what it seems like. I've never changed a power supply before, so I'm afraid that if I do, the computer might not turn on again. Sweat
It was also discouraging to look at the HP support site and see that my computer is no longer supported. Beaten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294  Next
Page 290 of 294

Jump to: