jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Interesting/Weird Stories in the News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terryb



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 1186
Location: Nanyatee?!
Country: Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I voted for "improved" because I met all kinds of people online, that I normally would not meet in real life. Especially people from abroad with their totally different culture/behaviours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xavio



Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 580
Location: South of France
Country: France

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think that people who think that internet has improved their social life live in the illusion of internet.
_________________
Magic words :
-= MuSe =- -= Japan =- -= California =-
-= Hawaii =- -=Soccer, Judo =- -= Aya, Rina =-
-= Judo =- -= Hugo Boss =- -= Bmw, Audi =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Terryb



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 1186
Location: Nanyatee?!
Country: Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Xavio wrote:
I think that people who think that internet has improved their social life live in the illusion of internet.


aren't you talking about yourself here? hehe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xavio



Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 580
Location: South of France
Country: France

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Terryb wrote:


aren't you talking about yourself here? hehe


Maybe, but I know that internet is a drug. I know people who don't know that internet is a drug and stay hours playing online games and chatting for hours. These people would answer that internet has improved their social life, but everybody who know them would say that this guys are crazy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Terryb



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Posts: 1186
Location: Nanyatee?!
Country: Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hmm, so I'm voting for the wrong option? hehe

I'm still the same person with the same social contacts as before (in real life) but have expanded my contacts through internet, meeting all sorts of interesting people: that's why I see it as an improvement.

if you really think internet is bad like dugs and is taking over your life then you should go out more Bonk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shizuru



Joined: 02 May 2004
Posts: 90
Location: Kay Ell
Country: Malaysia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Even though the toll death in Malaysia are around 66 people its such a little number comparing to Indonesia and other Asian country that got hit by the tsunami.

Malaysian are really shocked by it cos we have never before got hit by such a disaster. Thank god my family got back from Penang (where the tsunami hits) a few days early.

But is a sad sad week for all of us. Even the new years eve celebrations are canceled by the prime minister as a respect to all the tsunami victims.

I thank you for all your concerned.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
FusilliBernie



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Posts: 70


PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

please donate to www.redcross.org Disaster Relief Fund to help the victims of the tsunami
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shurayuki-hime



Joined: 10 Dec 2004
Posts: 456
Location: Finland
Country: Finland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's getting worse all the time. According to U.N. the death toll is now approaching 150,000. In Indonesia alone the number of dead is expected to reach 100,000.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
TANG



Joined: 01 Apr 2004
Posts: 1170
Location: New York City
Country: United States

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Xavio wrote:


I think, without internet, I would have 10 girlfriends now... but i'm single because I still hope to meet again my japanese friend(s) . Mr Green
( tomorrow, it's new year party, so I won't be single for a long time Wink )

And geek power !

umm xavio........ short boys with little shoulders, and tiny woman hands
cant get ten girlfriends.
anyway, i dont think the internet has done any harm to my social skills.
in fact most of my online buddies have taught me some stuff.
As long as you dont make your computer "your life" then your in good shape.
the internet is way too much fun, bcs you can harass ppl and say wierd things, ....ya know..stuff u cant do in real life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xavio



Joined: 05 Sep 2004
Posts: 580
Location: South of France
Country: France

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TANG wrote:

umm xavio........ short boys with little shoulders, and tiny woman hands
cant get ten girlfriends.


U Suck U Suck U Suck U Suck
Ok, I'm going to build a website, where all my fans can let me a testimonials, and you'll see who has little shoulders.
Arnel will be my graphic designer, and I have to learn more about huge database ( > 1T ) because I have a lot of fans. Beaten Beaten

The URL is going to be www.tangisowned.com
_________________
Magic words :
-= MuSe =- -= Japan =- -= California =-
-= Hawaii =- -=Soccer, Judo =- -= Aya, Rina =-
-= Judo =- -= Hugo Boss =- -= Bmw, Audi =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
jholic



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 700
Location: Hawaii!
Country: United States

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Shizuru wrote:
But is a sad sad week for all of us. Even the new years eve celebrations are canceled by the prime minister as a respect to all the tsunami victims.

wow, that is pretty sad to hear that. i would have thought that they may have held a tribute to those that were lost, but they cancelled new year's celebrations entirely? so the citizens just did not celebrate new year's at all?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ikumu



Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Posts: 64
Location: Washington DC
Country: Japan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Im usually online just at work. 12 hour shifts... Crazy

I actually havent been on this site for a while. I just lent out my Summer Snow dvd to a coworker (she's Japanese), so I had to come back to this site. Mr Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
groink



Joined: 01 Jan 1970
Posts: 1223


PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's what I had in mind when I made up the poll...

1) It improved my social skill.

Most people in the World are "sheltered" from other cultures. They do not get the opportunity to learn and socialize with people from other parts of the World. With the Internet and JDorama.com, people in places like France, UK, Germany, and the U.S. are now communicating with people in Asia, including Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong and yes Japan.

What exactly would you learn from other cultures? Well, for one thing you learn what NOT to say. We all know by now that the use of the "J" word is taboo for most U.S. and some Japan-based people, while people in other parts of Asia and Europe didn't even know about the alternative meaning of the "J" word.

There are other things you can learn from socializing on the Internet. Again, the idea of communicating on JDorama.com is the mixing of different cultures. So if you find yourself being more conscience about what you say, then yes it's likely that your social skills have improved, not only on the Internet but possibly in your other social arenas, such as at work or at a party.

2) Nothing's changed.

If you already knew your netiquette (etiquette on the Internet) skills before arriving to JDorama.com, then yes maybe nothing's changed. If you find yourself communicating on JDorama.com the same way you've always communicated before arriving here, then yes maybe your skills haven't changed. I actually see this more of a good thing than bad because it means you were already conscience about the various aspects of cultures and races before you signed onto here.

3) I think I piss more people off now.

You can look at this in two ways... If you feel you still upset people, at least you know you're doing so. Recognizing a problem is a great start... You can't fix it if you don't know it's broken!

However, if you voted for 1 or 2 and you do in fact still get some people here upset, then I think these people you've upset should start opening themselves up and let you know how they feel because you don't realize what you're doing to them.

Through my 20+ years on-line, the number one thing I've learned about people and the Internet is that some people become more and more vocal overall on-line because they're immune to the reprocutions of what they say. In other words, they can't physically hurt you if you say the wrong things. If you conducted yourself the same way in your real life as you do on your on-line life, you're probably lucky if you don't have the cuts and bruises because of it. I actually know one guy who's become much more arrogant in his real life because he gained much more confidence in the cyberworld.

So how would you deal with something like this? Well, for starters I'd keep a lot more arguments within private mail (PM). That's part of netiquette. Another part of netiquette is following the general rules of any service you use, such as message boards like JDorama.com. Always utilize the frequently asked questions (FAQ) postings on a particular forum. Avoid whoring* of the forums. And, be sensative to the differences of age among the visitors and members.

*whoring is the practice of posting comments unrelated to the first post of a topic, or posting of short one or two-word messages to boost the total number of posts (though the # of posts pose no benefit on JDorama.com).

So that's the general idea of this exercise. So far in the responses, things are looking positive. Keep up the good work!

--- groink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IkematsuSosuke



Joined: 14 Feb 2004
Posts: 1105
Location: Stockton/Frisco
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hope sexxyrca is okay, she lives in Thailand

We talk in PM, but she hasn't written back to me Fingers crossed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
IkematsuSosuke



Joined: 14 Feb 2004
Posts: 1105
Location: Stockton/Frisco
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would say my social skill is the same..but it does give me things to talk about with my friends and people in Japanese class Mr Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
noodlefreak



Joined: 31 Jul 2004
Posts: 683
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i think my social skills have pretty much stayed the same...
but online chatting helps me stay in touch with my friends who dont go to my school
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
koolaid



Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Posts: 113
Location: Canada
Country: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The internet is just a tool, therefore it can help some or hurt others.

I must say though, as much time as I spent on the net, I still did not learn all that much about or other cultures then when I was travelling. Communications has lots to do with physical gestures doesn't it. So for me it doesn't help my social life, nor does it hurt it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
koolaid



Joined: 14 Jan 2004
Posts: 113
Location: Canada
Country: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My extended family is in Thailand, however we are fairly confident that they are all ok. The phone lines has all been impossible to get through.

Last year we were in Phuket and the majority of the time we were in the water. I got along with the tourguide really well (it helps that I speak Thia), I do wonder if he is alright.

The closest call was regarding our friends living in Japan. They were all set to go to Phuket a couple of weeks ago with their coworker, but a spot opened up for a missionary trip, so they went their instead. However the coworker still went to Thailand and is currently missing. Is this an another act of god?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125523
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NEW YORK - Actress Sandra Bullock (news) donated $1 million to the American Red Cross (news - web sites) to help relief efforts for countries affected by the deadly tsunami.

The funds will go to supplies and technical assistance in the region. The death toll around the Indian Ocean rim approached 140,000. Searchers all but gave up hope of finding more survivors from the Dec. 26 killer earthquake and tsunami, with authorities saying that thousands listed as missing were presumed dead. The world turned its full attention to getting food and water to the living.

Bullock, 40, also donated $1 million to the organization after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jholic



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 700
Location: Hawaii!
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

groink wrote:
However, if you voted for 1 or 2 and you do in fact still get some people here upset

admitting you have a problem is the first step.


groink wrote:
Through my 20+ years on-line, the number one thing I've learned about people and the Internet is that some people become more and more vocal overall on-line because they're immune to the reprocutions of what they say. In other words, they can't physically hurt you if you say the wrong things. If you conducted yourself the same way in your real life as you do on your on-line life, you're probably lucky if you don't have the cuts and bruises because of it.

oh, so very true, groink-sama. i think it's important that you keep a level of professionalism and maturity when you discuss things on the internet. wouldn't it be rather embarrassing if you find out it's someone you know. whenever i see someone just go and shoot off their mouth - the first thing i think to myself is that the person is probably pretty young.

why? well, for older people, you're more likely to have gone through more life experiences and situations. i've dealt with thousands of customers/co-workers/peers over the phone (which is very similar to the 'net) and e-mail, and even if you lack the face-to-face contact, you NEVER KNOW when something you say will come back to bite you in the rear. even when you gossip at work and you think no one else will hear what you say. people build an image of you as a person through your actions (in the case of the internet, your posts/replies).

i'd like someone to make a copy of all their posts when they're 20. and all their posts when they turn 30. i'd be extremely surprised if they're the same person.

groink, dude, my apologies, but i voted 'i piss more people off' as a joke. hope you're not conducting research or anything. i personally think i'm the same.... Mr Green Victory! Peace!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 35 of 99

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum