jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Use of the word 'Jap' - is it offensive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malorum



Joined: 14 Aug 2002
Posts: 103
Location: Tokyo Japan boyeee!
Country: Japan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

motsureru wrote:
Although Jap is used in the context of an abbreviation on this forum....as another Japanese/American I must agree with Sarujin and say that it is indeed offensive.

It really should be wiped from everyones vocabulary as to not offend.....

Wait I have an idea! If we complain enough about people using it and get it where you hardly ever hear the word.... us Japanese could then pull a double standard and use it to refer to other Japanese in general street conversation. But only Japanese to another Japanese....You know kinda like African Americans do.
Google Crazy Shake Head Sweat Beaten Im Jk Wink


oh yea i could imagine that one.....the conversation might go something like this:

Asan: Yo whuttup mah Jap?!

Bsan: Yo yo nuffin dawg, hows it goin Jap?

Asan: s'coo s'coo.... juss hanging in there doin mah job 9-5 yah know mah Jap?

Bsan: w3rd w3rd... A Japs gotta do what a Japs gotta do mah Jap

Asan: i hear yah Jap......i hear yah...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

hrmm.....somehow i don;'t see a conversation like that happening in the future LOL! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sean



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 2


PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Politically Correct Reply with quote Back to top

I had a teacher whose name is 'James', but he insists that people should only call him 'James' and stick to that, no other variations like 'Jim', 'Jimmy', etc. Is there anything wrong? Well, always address people using the names which they prefer to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
niko2x



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 4009
Location: East Coast, US
Country: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Politically Correct Reply with quote Back to top

Sean wrote:
I had a teacher whose name is 'James', but he insists that people should only call him 'James' and stick to that, no other variations like 'Jim', 'Jimmy', etc. Is there anything wrong? Well, always address people using the names which they prefer to.
I don't think this has anything to do with the topic at hand.....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
hakaida



Joined: 24 Dec 2003
Posts: 25
Location: US- Honolulu, Hawaii
Country: United States

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hell YAH, that's offensive!! Those are fighting words! But keep in mind that in the Jewish community, JAP is an acronym for Jewish American Princess. So if you hear those words, look around first to see what situation you're in. You could be at a Barmitzvah and hear it come up here and there. And to them, of course, it's a common acronym without any insulting intentions. Even if you're in the middle of LA, NY or other highly populated Caucasion cities, and you hear those words, it still could go both ways?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
youngyoda



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 3
Location: USA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Ignorant comments are acceptable? Reply with quote Back to top

Oh well i'll continue to call Japanese Japs and Nips < - - Ignorant comment.

To call this site a form of racism is very unfair to the administrator of this site. < - - Ignorant comment.

Did we really think that the administrator for this site named the site maliciously and purposely? < - - Ignorant comment.

that not everyone who uses a word may know of some hidden or uncommon cotext of the word < - - Ignorant comment.

I only feel that the word Jap should be used on objects < - - Ignorant comment.

THE use of Jap to refer to something JAPANESE is not ACCEPTABLE. IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!. I am a Japanese American I have relatives that lived in the camps so the use of Jap hits home for me. Not knowing the meaning of the word is not an excuse that is just ignorant. When did Ignorant become an acceptable term? IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. It seems like there is an abundance of people using or think that its ok to use jap on this board DONfT use it! STOP!.. NOT! ACCEPTABLE!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsuyoshi13



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 7


PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

if people like you would quit your bitching the word "jap" would slowly lose it's racist meaning and become what everyone is actually referring it to... a shortening of the word japanese!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
niko2x



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 4009
Location: East Coast, US
Country: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tsuyoshi13 wrote:
if people like you would quit your bitching the word "jap" would slowly lose it's racist meaning and become what everyone is actually referring it to... a shortening of the word japanese!
um, hello there, "sensitive one", I'm taking this that you aren't JPNese. Well, I'm sure the world would live to forget the racist meaning behind the word so YOU can be lazy and not have to type J-a-p-a-n-e-s-e.

During WW2, there were a lot of hate and discontent with the JPN race here in the U.S. and the people of JPN descent will have a hard time to forget. I'm sure you are of one particular group (chinese, black, jewish, gay, whatever) and have a derogetory name for you as well, and I'm sure you would not like it if you're singled out and stuff. I can be more graphic, but since I think you just opened up a huge can of beans, I'll let others ride you. Aho, you know what to do.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
youngyoda



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 3
Location: USA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tsuyoshi13 wrote:
if people like you would quit your bitching the word "jap" would slowly lose it's racist meaning and become what everyone is actually referring it to... a shortening of the word japanese!


I was Enjoying AZUMI. You now have tainted the taste in my mouth with disbelief. You are a very unscrupulous person. I suggest you find some scruples and come back and apologize. SHOW SOME RESPECT! Just because this word doesnft apply to you doesnft mean we can forget what pain it has caused. PEOPLE LIKE ME?!?!? Hahc IT WILL NOT LOSE ITS MEANING!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125546
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

niko2x wrote:
um, hello there, "sensitive one", I'm taking this that you aren't JPNese. Well, I'm sure the world would live to forget the racist meaning behind the word so YOU can be lazy and not have to type J-a-p-a-n-e-s-e.

During WW2, there were a lot of hate and discontent with the JPN race here in the U.S. and the people of JPN descent will have a hard time to forget. I'm sure you are of one particular group (chinese, black, jewish, gay, whatever) and have a derogetory name for you as well, and I'm sure you would not like it if you're singled out and stuff. I can be more graphic, but since I think you just opened up a huge can of beans, I'll let others ride you. Aho, you know what to do.

On the mark, Niko. Applaud

I don't recall the N-word losing its racist meaning after two-plus centuries of use... Shake Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsuyoshi13



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 7


PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the fact that the racist wwi term and what unknowing people use to shorten a word a just a coincidence. maybe you should look for context in a sentence before judging whether a person is being racial or not. this is what maya failed to do.

so our american grandfathers called your american grandfathers a shortened word. what about when groups of people are referred to as "whites" or "blacks." this isn't considered racist, but it's underlyingly the same thing as saying jap as opposed to japanese. the point is, you're all just being whiny bitches
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
youngyoda



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 3
Location: USA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tsuyoshi13 wrote:
the fact that the racist wwi term and what unknowing people use to shorten a word a just a coincidence. maybe you should look for context in a sentence before judging whether a person is being racial or not. this is what maya failed to do.

so our american grandfathers called your american grandfathers a shortened word. what about when groups of people are referred to as "whites" or "blacks." this isn't considered racist, but it's underlyingly the same thing as saying jap as opposed to japanese. the point is, you're all just being whiny bitches


Your reply is SO? You are intolerable. You deserve what you have coming to you. I would appreciate it if you wouldnft use that kind of language. I am not bitching. Nether am I a bitch nor anyone else here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
motsureru



Joined: 20 Nov 2003
Posts: 31
Location: Japan
Country: Japan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think its stupid to argue over, I mean is it seriously going to cripple your conversation if you refrain from using racial slurs??? Look its offensive ok, accept it.

Why is it that some people have a lack of common sense and are to hell bent on bucking the code of proper etiquette to realize that its not worth wasting there time over?? Your not going to change the world by refusing to agree that some words have a historically offensive stigmas behind them. By being ignorant you only ostracize yourself and make things worse.

Jeez, its not even that long of a word!!! Shake Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125546
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tsuyoshi13 wrote:
the fact that the racist wwi term and what unknowing people use to shorten a word a just a coincidence. maybe you should look for context in a sentence before judging whether a person is being racial or not. this is what maya failed to do.

so our american grandfathers called your american grandfathers a shortened word. what about when groups of people are referred to as "whites" or "blacks." this isn't considered racist, but it's underlyingly the same thing as saying jap as opposed to japanese. the point is, you're all just being whiny bitches

Christ! Would it be too much to ask to show some sensitivity??

Y'know if we're too whiny for you, take your crap somewhere else. We don't need it or want it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsuyoshi13



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 7


PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

motsureru wrote:
I think its stupid to argue over, I mean is it seriously going to cripple your conversation if you refrain from using racial slurs??? Look its offensive ok, accept it.

Why is it that some people have a lack of common sense and are to hell bent on bucking the code of proper etiquette to realize that its not worth wasting there time over?? Your not going to change the world by refusing to agree that some words have a historically offensive stigmas behind them. By being ignorant you only ostracize yourself and make things worse.

Jeez, its not even that long of a word!!! Shake Head

the same can be said for both sides of the argument. a lot of people don't think it's racial so accept it. it's not worth wasting time over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsuyoshi13



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 7


PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Christ! Would it be too much to ask to show some sensitivity??

that's the most hypocritical sentence i've read in the last 5 minutes. you aren't being very sensitive to followers of christianity using the Lord's name in vain like that. what an ass...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125546
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tsuyoshi13 wrote:

that's the most hypocritical sentence i've read in the last 5 minutes. you aren't being very sensitive to followers of christianity using the Lord's name in vain like that.

Don't try to divert the conversation to another topic just because you can't justify your insensitivity towards Japanese-Americans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neefo



Joined: 24 Apr 2003
Posts: 284


PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

all we need to do is... relax....

let's not fight over things like these. there are too many derogatory terms in every language you can think of.

if someone thinks its offensive. there must be a reason right? its just like saying, chinaman to a chinese person. its not very nice. or FOB. and if someone doesn't know it, doesn't mean that they mean to hurt you, all you need to do is tell them nicely and they'll understand eh?

now back to watching more J-Drama. BWAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsuyoshi13



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Posts: 7


PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Don't try to divert the conversation to another topic just because you can't justify your insensitivity towards Japanese-Americans.

dont call a fault on me when you're just as bad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
groink



Joined: 01 Jan 1970
Posts: 1223


PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Summarizing tsuyoshi13's logic, the person being affected must make the adjustment. That's basically what he's saying. If you took this logic and apply it to real-world situations:

- All non-smokers must move to another part of town, or eat at a different restaurant. Smokers have every right to affect non-smokers' health and overall well-being because smoking tobacco is legal, and smokers have every right to smoke. And, oh, did I mention that the American indians smoked in the U.S. centuries ago? So why change things????

- U.S. Homeland Security would use common ethnic stereotypes as part of their overall profiling practice. Hey, they didn't come up with the stereotypes, but seeing they're out there might as well use them, right?

- A friend of mine wants to eat at a vegetarian restaurant. I hate vegetables. Because I'm tagging along with him, I have every right to bring a McDonald's double-quarterpounder and eat it in front of everyone. Hey, it's convenient for me! Let the vegetarians deal with it!

- On my next trip to India, I'm going to see if I can find any Sizzler or Stuart Anderson restaurants there because after a long flight, I'd be in the mood for a thick, juicy porterhouse steak. And if I can't, I'm going to file a complaint. Why can't India cater to my needs???????

The golden rule is: No matter what your personal culture/beliefs/background is, ALWAYS make the adjustments when working with another person. It's just as simple as that!!!!!

Who cares what you think or don't think. If someone takes offense because of a word you use, or a hand gesture you make, or what you smell like, you put a stop to it. It is much better to make compromises than to expect others to cope with your ignorance.

--- groink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BmwM3Rod



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Posts: 154
Location: USA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

groink wrote:
Summarizing tsuyoshi13's logic, the person being affected must make the adjustment. That's basically what he's saying. If you took this logic and apply it to real-world situations:

- All non-smokers must move to another part of town, or eat at a different restaurant. Smokers have every right to affect non-smokers' health and overall well-being because smoking tobacco is legal, and smokers have every right to smoke. And, oh, did I mention that the American indians smoked in the U.S. centuries ago? So why change things????

- U.S. Homeland Security would use common ethnic stereotypes as part of their overall profiling practice. Hey, they didn't come up with the stereotypes, but seeing they're out there might as well use them, right?

- A friend of mine wants to eat at a vegetarian restaurant. I hate vegetables. Because I'm tagging along with him, I have every right to bring a McDonald's double-quarterpounder and eat it in front of everyone. Hey, it's convenient for me! Let the vegetarians deal with it!

- On my next trip to India, I'm going to see if I can find any Sizzler or Stuart Anderson restaurants there because after a long flight, I'd be in the mood for a thick, juicy porterhouse steak. And if I can't, I'm going to file a complaint. Why can't India cater to my needs???????

The golden rule is: No matter what your personal culture/beliefs/background is, ALWAYS make the adjustments when working with another person. It's just as simple as that!!!!!

Who cares what you think or don't think. If someone takes offense because of a word you use, or a hand gesture you make, or what you smell like, you put a stop to it. It is much better to make compromises than to expect others to cope with your ignorance.

--- groink



That was a great post. Ha ha. Tsuyoshi just got owned Beaten
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 3 of 28

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum