jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Do you prefer your drama...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you prefer your drama Soft subs or Hard subs?
Soft subs.
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Hard subs
73%
 73%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 19

pankanshe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Do you prefer your drama... Reply with quote Back to top

in soft subs or hard subs?
Michi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hard subs
coz i dunno how to burn movie/drama with soft subs as VCD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dummyuser1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ditto
smmlt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

soft subs, because i could either edit and correct fujitv s subs before burning it or watch it without subs.
groink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer hard subs over soft subs for three reasons:

1) People I snail-mail trade with are regular non-technical folks, with DVD and/or VCD/SVCD players that are behind the times (i.e. their players can't use soft subs). It's a pain in the butt for me to re-rip the soft subs into the video itself just for the sake of completing a trade. Even if they prefer to watch the videos on their PCs, I don't like making things complicated for the person, such as requiring them to install additional DLLs, or switch to a compatible video player. Personally, I strongly believe all videos should be playable on a computer (Macintosh, Windows, etc.) in its factory condition.

2) For me, I also prefer to watch videos on the TV rather than on a computer screen. It's better on my eyes because I tend to watch TV with my face about five feet or more away. The computer's in my bedroom, and I don't have the 5+ feet range in there. It's been proven in study after study that viewing TVs and computer monitors from one feet or closer is really bad for the eyes. I also have a DVD player that can play DivX/XviD, however it can't handle soft subs, so soft subs wouldn't work for me at the moment.

3) As a capturer and subber, I prefer to provide my subs in hard sub form because there are certain things I want to embed into my captures, including anti-auction and other "do not sell" messages. From my observation on eBay, more and more bootleg DVDs are coming out, using the soft sub files generated by fans like yourselves. Aoi Tori (Blue Bird) is one example that I'm seeing on eBay at the moment.

--- groink
Uchiha Potato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

just the fact that I can watch these dramas with SUBS works for me Big Grin I dont really mind what kind of sub it is.
eltinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess hard or soft subs don't really affect me. I can get them to play either way but everything, well most dramas are hard subbed so I'm used to hard subs
Mr.ChoyBoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Whats the difference between hard and soft sub?
zchendevlemh

Location: Ten Carat 5-19-1 Hiroo, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0012, Japan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yeah! i also wanna know

it's my 1st time to hear those soft & hard subs term

is it like

soft copy (saved on a diskette/disk)

&

hard copy (print-out)
eltinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mr.ChoyBoi wrote:
Whats the difference between hard and soft sub?

hard subs is when the subtitles are in the video file already like JTV dramas. Soft subs are subs that require a seperate file like a srt file which needs to be named the exact same name of the video file and have to be in the same folder. Upon playing the video file, the subs will be automatically loaded.
zchendevlemh

Location: Ten Carat 5-19-1 Hiroo, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0012, Japan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahhh.... so desu ne!!

tnx

d

info
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Uchiha Potato wrote:
just the fact that I can watch these dramas with SUBS works for me Big Grin I dont really mind what kind of sub it is.

Potato-Guy is on the mark. Just having subs, period, is a blessing. Big Grin
Michi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

smmlt wrote:
soft subs, because i could either edit and correct fujitv s subs before burning it or watch it without subs.

this is wat i like abt soft subs
but then again... i hardly edit the subs (even tho its a soft sub)

so hard subs all the way Mr Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deleted_user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really care wether it's soft sub or hard sub.
as long as the drama has subs.. it's okay with me Mr Green
ahochaude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have no idea what is going on here.

Does hard subs mean that the subtitles are "embedded" into the video whereas the soft subs can be taken out at your descretion?! Crazy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
I have no idea what is going on here.

Does hard subs mean that the subtitles are "embedded" into the video whereas the soft subs can be taken out at your descretion?! Crazy

Exactly right. Hardsubs are hardencoded/overlayed onto the video, so they can't be removed. Softsub files are small separate files that you can turn off, sort of like how it is with a DVD.

There are advantages to softsubs, like you can edit them and stuff to how you like it, and fix any errors if there are any. Hardsubs are good when they have effects like karaoke, fading, animation, etc. Softsubs cannot have those effects, the tags won't work Wink Plus, if a fansubber wants to put messages like "don't sell this on ebay", only in hardsubs will that be permanent. In softsubs, people could just edit that out.
ahochaude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KouSeiya315 wrote:

Exactly right. Hardsubs are hardencoded/overlayed onto the video, so they can't be removed. Softsub files are small separate files that you can turn off, sort of like how it is with a DVD.

There are advantages to softsubs, like you can edit them and stuff to how you like it, and fix any errors if there are any. Hardsubs are good when they have effects like karaoke, fading, animation, etc. Softsubs cannot have those effects, the tags won't work Wink Plus, if a fansubber wants to put messages like "don't sell this on ebay", only in hardsubs will that be permanent. In softsubs, people could just edit that out.

At least I guessed it correctly. But still, this is too high tech terminology for me.... Beaten

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

it doesnt really make a dfference to me whether its hard or soft subs. As long as its in english. hehehe. I do however prefer single audio than dual-audio files since my dsp filter surround doesnt work on dual-audio.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

what groink said....

hard subs are just more conviniet...

soft subs are only for like rare series that never got originaly subbed....plus some ppl have a hard time getting them to work!
:::hALuCin8:::

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't really matter to me as long as it is Eng sub. But I voted for "Hard subs" anyway since they don't have the option for both. Beaten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: