jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
yankee bokou ni kaeru
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: yankee bokou ni kaeru Reply with quote Back to top

watched an ep of the drama and think should tell you all about it.. feel slike it's exactly like previous dramas with students and teachers e.g. gokusen, gto, kinpachi sensei.. group of noisy and troublesome pupils.. a teacher who's determined to save them, another teacher who thinks these pupils are useless.. feel there's no point in watching.. if you like seeing takenouchi yutaka shouting like a yakuza member and kicking tables every five minutes, then watch it... Sad

although it has great cast, takenouchi yutaka, shinohara ryoko, aiba masaki, ishigaki yuma, kato natsuki, sayaka, ichihara hayato, koike teppei.. the mix doesn't seem to be working.. Shake Head
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
velvet_ice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sayy... where do u get all these doramas from?
are they airing in Singapore?
GoDziLLa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Yankee Bokou ni Kaeru Reply with quote Back to top

I saw the first episode of the drama today, and i wanna watch the other episodes as well, if anyone know where i can get the drama, can someone please tell me where i can get it from
thanks
UWFShooter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, where are you? And do you want it on tape or download?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ahochaude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: yankee bokou ni kaeru Reply with quote Back to top

arashinokoto wrote:
watched an ep of the drama and think should tell you all about it.. feel slike it's exactly like previous dramas with students and teachers e.g. gokusen, gto, kinpachi sensei.. group of noisy and troublesome pupils.. a teacher who's determined to save them, another teacher who thinks these pupils are useless.. feel there's no point in watching.. if you like seeing takenouchi yutaka shouting like a yakuza member and kicking tables every five minutes, then watch it... Sad

although it has great cast, takenouchi yutaka, shinohara ryoko, aiba masaki, ishigaki yuma, kato natsuki, sayaka, ichihara hayato, koike teppei.. the mix doesn't seem to be working.. Shake Head

It is kind of "cheesey" when you compare it to G.T.O. (I wouldn't compare it to Kinpachi or Gokusen 'cause I felt as though Gokusen is a G.T.O. "rip off" and Kinpachi is from a whole different era)

But in my opinion, the drama is worth watching nevertheless.

arashinokoto wrote:
if you like seeing takenouchi yutaka shouting like a yakuza member

Actually, his character was directed as more of a "Yankee" rather than a "Yakuza" or even a "Chinpira". (Hence the title)
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: yankee bokou ni kaeru Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:

Actually, his character was directed as more of a "Yankee" rather than a "Yakuza" or even a "Chinpira". (Hence the title)

i get what you mean.. but somehow i didn't like it.. gave up on the series.. >_<
ahochaude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: yankee bokou ni kaeru Reply with quote Back to top

arashinokoto wrote:
i get what you mean.. but somehow i didn't like it.. gave up on the series.. >_<

Wow. Must have been really junk for you then huh?!

Even though it's a G.T.O. rip off and the story kind of lags, I don't know why, but it's good enough for me to keep on watching it. Almost done with it anyway. Up to this point, if I were to rate it, I'd give it 5/10.
ditmercury

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yankee is based from a real story and the characters are also based on real people...one big point that differs Yankee~ and GTO
ahochaude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ditmercury wrote:
Yankee is based from a real story and the characters are also based on real people...one big point that differs Yankee~ and GTO

Perhaps the creator of G.T.O. picked up his idea from that story and modified it into his own way then?

I guess most prefer G.T.O. over Yankee because G.T.O. came out first. Kind of hard to shake that first impression.
ditmercury

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:

Perhaps the creator of G.T.O. picked up his idea from that story and modified it into his own way then?

I guess most prefer G.T.O. over Yankee because G.T.O. came out first. Kind of hard to shake that first impression.

yeah...they kinda compare it to the 1st one of the pack..they're LOTSA of them...i mean GTO-like drama...these people really should stop copying GTO and come up with a fresher topic Rolling eyes
bluemarine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote Back to top

ditmercury wrote:

I would think both are entertaining and meaningful in its own way.

GTO was brillant as it managed to highlight issues in the Japanese education system but not losing the audience in terms of entertainment value. The pre-occupation of getting into great collages, gang violence, school bullies, parental/child communication difficulties, drop-outs, disillusionment of teachers.... all that against the backdrop of the sometimes crazy antics of Onizuka.

It's hard to top GTO. Just take a look at it's perhaps closest and most popular competition - Gokusen. Besides the great performances by Nakama Yukie, Jun and gang.... Can one honestly conclude that he/she gained new insights (not already presented by GTO) other than laughing at Yangkumi's antics or admiring how cool Sawada Shin is.

I have to confess to being very impressed with Yankee. It wouldn't score as high on purely entertainment value and i do have reason to believe that the producers didn't want it that way too. The best way to enjoy is drama is to understand that it's based on a true story and i guess the intention was for it to serve as a tribute for the staff of that school. I have to say i got quite teary in parts when i saw how hard the teachers were working and how concerned they were.

To compare Yankee against GTO or even Gokusen is mightly unfair.

The GTO formula which is widely copied works this way

1) A misfit new teacher with a new style of teaching
2) The misfit teacher in charge of a misfit class
3) Some (1/2) teachers against the misfit teacher.

Gokusen copies this formula to a Tee.

Yankee on the otherhand offers something a little different.

1) The new teacher was not exactly a misfit. His teacher mtds ain't special. Bascially he imitiated the teaching style of his predecessor who inspired him when he was younger.
2) It was not exactly the misfit class in a normal school. In Yankee, it was normal class in a special school.
3) There were no "evil" teachers against the misfit teacher. It was extremely heartening to see that all the teachers, despite having disagreements at times over methods to use had only one goal in mind at all times - whatever's in the best interest of the students. I half expected Aiba to play the role of the self-centered arrogant teacher, which is the impression one gets from epi 1/2 (a formula presence in all school dramas). Boy was i surprised on how Aiba's role developed over the course of the story.
ahochaude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote Back to top

bluemarine wrote:

I would think both are entertaining and meaningful in its own way.

GTO was brillant as it managed to highlight issues in the Japanese education system but not losing the audience in terms of entertainment value. The pre-occupation of getting into great collages, gang violence, school bullies, parental/child communication difficulties, drop-outs, disillusionment of teachers.... all that against the backdrop of the sometimes crazy antics of Onizuka.

It's hard to top GTO. Just take a look at it's perhaps closest and most popular competition - Gokusen. Besides the great performances by Nakama Yukie, Jun and gang.... Can one honestly conclude that he/she gained new insights (not already presented by GTO) other than laughing at Yangkumi's antics or admiring how cool Sawada Shin is.

Yeah. I guess seeing GTO first, pretty much set the expectation standards for me. Which is why I wasn't too fascinated with Yankee.
Kind of hard to break that mold that sets the standard. But all in all, Yankee wasn't bad. And it wasn't great.

bluemarine wrote:
I have to confess to being very impressed with Yankee. It wouldn't score as high on purely entertainment value and i do have reason to believe that the producers didn't want it that way too. The best way to enjoy is drama is to understand that it's based on a true story and i guess the intention was for it to serve as a tribute for the staff of that school. I have to say i got quite teary in parts when i saw how hard the teachers were working and how concerned they were.

The producers did a great job in that. I was amazed that that kind of stuff actually took place. Heh, I never had a teacher who cared about me like that. hehe Probably because I was one of those delinquents sitting in the back of the classroom. Beaten
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

back to post my views after finally watching the whole series.. yeah, aho, it is good.. it just so happen i didn't enjoy episode 2.. i liked it.. ^^
Fuuj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GTO remains there in the higher echelon of dramas for me...

Gokusen is good, I think it has a whole different tone to GTO and is more connected to it's manga roots; just how the characters behave and episodes play out.

I wouldn't discount Yankee, I've only seen the first two eps but it's pretty involving, and much more intense (i.e. the shouting matches apparent every 10 minutes ^^Y); not to say that's what makes it better, but I think this show also has a different tone; since it's based on a real Hokkaido school.
likasgal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i agree with blumarine.... GTO has entertainment written all over it, while yankee to me is more like a documentary drama.... yutaka is not a total hero in yankee as sorimachi in GTO...and the opposing teacher in yankee is quite impressive... he's method is different but he believe in those kid too... i cried actually watching this dorama, esp when they sang the old song... Cry Thumbsup

anyway, yutaka shouting really irritate me.... Boxing Mad Mad
IkematsuSosuke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I love this drama..it got me teary eyed alot of times..when I hardly know Japanese..it's great!
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

likasgal wrote:
i cried actually watching this dorama, esp when they sang the old song... Cry Thumbsup

anyway, yutaka shouting really irritate me.... Boxing Mad Mad

i agree with you.. i cried loads during that song.. it's [nagori yuki] by iruka, btw.. ^^

and i was irritated by the shouting as well.. that's what made me decide not to watch it initially.. but then i couldn't resist aiba's charm..! Wink
likasgal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the students kept me going...my brothers and I kept watching for the sleeping student...just when will he wakes up or start talking... hehe he got the easiest part in a dorama...

what's the song title in English... it's something 'snow' rite? when they sang it, i was thinking, is it really a folk song.... man, it was a great song Applaud Applaud
DiorKaneko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: subtitle? Reply with quote Back to top

do u kno where to find this drama's subtitle rip??
if u hav the dvd... r there anyway u can rip the subtitle and post it here? or send to me??

.. just wondering....
thanx..
valle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i sorta stopped watching after ep 1,i didn't fascinate me...did it get better throughout the series?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: