jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Use of the word 'Jap' - is it offensive?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:37 am    Post subject: JapDrama.com offensive? Pls give your views Reply with quote Back to top

This message was received when the website was first known as JapDrama.com. I'd like to know how others view it. Anonymous posts are welcome too. Thanks!

-----------------------------
To whom it may concern,

As a person of Japanese decent, I feel offended by the derogatory nature of the name of your web site. You should be aware that the word "Jap" is highly offensive and parallel to the "n word" for people of African descent or "gook" to those of Vietnamese and Korean descent. I am a fan of both Japanese drama and music, but your web site appalls me. This type of racism is absolutely unacceptable, especially for a website that advocates a large part of Japanese culture. I am incensed by this blatant and obviously ignorant use of such a strong and offensive word. Do you understand the implications of naming your web site this? The word "Jap" should never be used. It is derogatory and disrespectful, serving as a way for people, especially foreigners, to express their condescending views toward the Asian race.
Please take this into consideration.

Absolutely angered,
Maya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kudos to Maya for voicing out his/her opinions on the incorrect and prickly usage of the word "Jap" as a responsible member of the Japanese community. But anger got the better of him/her. To call this site a form of racism is very unfair to the administrator of this site.

I agree that the administrator was indeed ignorant and blatant in naming this site. But the underlying nature and intent of this site is obviously not meant to be of an offensive nature to Japanese. I do not find it racism on the part of the administrator but more of ignorance instead.

Furthermore, I would like to ask Maya if he/she knows the equivalent derogatory term for a Malay? Similarly, in the context of where (country) the Administrator lives in, it is not really surprising that it is unknown to the administrator that "Jap" is a derogatory term. It is not wrong not to know in this case. But since this is highlighted to the administrator, I think the onus is on the administrator to change the naming of the site.

It is disappointing to find such an offensive stance in informing the administrator. It should be sufficient to point out that "Jap" is not the term to use, along with the reasons. The administrator should be applauded for making the effort to set up this site.
Genma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Plans for a new domain are on the way. Pls bear with it for now, thanks.
wakeup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm...

I do agree with the rest that Maya was over-emotional over the word. Think there are a lot of people out there who only relate the word 'jap' as shortform for 'japanese'.

It is a good thing for Maya to point out this so we do not offend anyone unintentionally, we all learn something from it. =)

If Maya ever read this thou, I guess I would say to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, that not everyone who uses a word may know of some hidden or uncommon cotext of the word, and if the aim was to highlight this fact, I guess a kind reminder to raise the issue is good enough. Acusing might get things worse only, as you may just blind others who are too angry over your words that they actually miss out the point you were trying to bring out.

go seto worth
=)
ShonenJump

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've known a lot of people who have used the word "Jap" and not known its racist connotations, but people who may be aware of it have to understand that in the US and in the English language, words are commonly shortened all the time in speaking and in writing and the word "Japanese" is no acception. All it takes is to politely make them aware of the situation and I'm sure people will stop. Maya may be right in her concern, but not tactful in her reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is coming from someone that isn't from Japanese descent...

I agree with what Maya said, in that I wouldn't want someone to go around calling me a 'chink' or 'oriental'. Personally, I only feel that the word Jap should be used on objects (not people as it is disrespectful).

A while back, my friend said "Jap girl" and knowing that I disliked that, I flipped out on him. Angry He doesn't do that anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i am not of asian desent, but i do realize that certain words hurt and should not be used, no matter the circumstances. people must think before they act or say anything that would risk offense Smile
MixxDreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i kinda understand where she's coming from. its very similar to my nationally being called as "Flip" instead of just "Filipino/Pilipino", i dont found it very offending though but because i know there are some people think of calling the word is cool, or its just part of a slang language, i just dont see how hard it is to mention the whole word.

now that i acknowledge all certain words. i guess what i meant to say is that, people shouldnt assume things like, "oh maybe i'll call it.. jap, or chinky, flip, oriental dude, white-breads, nigger...etc." unless you know what you're doing w/o hurting anybody, i could be wrong but i agree with Mr/Ms. Guest here, that using certain words hurt and should not be used, no matter the circumstances.

but i believe that im sure we dont mean to offend anyone here Smile
niko2x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Instead of using 'jap' a offensive slur, I've always prefer 'jpn'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

for me, my self, i've only known "that" word is offensive when i entered a mailing list and one of its member used "that" word in his message. The webmaster being a Japanese voiced out her view on using "that" word.
Living in a world where a lot of culture and races involve sometimes we can be a bit foolish about one's culture.
Evilryu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't know it would offend people, but whe should respect it and keep the word "J**" out of our vocabulary!
But I hope "Jdrama" is OK to use?!
Koji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote Back to top

With the guy above.
At least for me if it is not said or spelled out then it is o.k . J does not necisserily mean "jap", it means japanese to me. As long as "jap" is not specifically said or written then it is cool with me. By the way, whom is from San Diego.. Single and Female?? Lets hook it up hahahaha j/k
Koji
Mayumi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

personally, I would never refer to anyone/anything that are Japanese, jap.

but then I used to knew a few Japanese girls and guys who refer to themselves as "Japs" when they're asked what nationality they are...
it's wierd Sad

at the first day of Japanese class, the course outlines always said stuff like "learn Jap in this class and see how it is to become friends with Jap people!!" that REALLY made me so Angry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Its short hand sometimes though... like chi for chinese.

But the quip way it comes off can be taken pretty bad.

I dont know sometimes... Sweat

I've never had it misunderstood, yet.

Good for me. Who cares.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Stupid Slope.
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

huhz....????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
M

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Japanese people hate to be referred to as "Japs".

So as far as I'm concerned I try to refrain from saying Jap people, Jap dramas, Jap music, Jap whatever.
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

people in this forum do refrian i guess.. since there is such a thread..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aitri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

arashinokoto wrote:

I dunno... I think I've seen the word being used a lot in this forum, at least in comparison to some other boards I go to .. if people want a quick way to say it, even if it doesn't really make as much sense, it's still obvious .. people should just say JPN or something
bmwracer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

aitri wrote:
arashinokoto wrote:

I dunno... I think I've seen the word being used a lot in this forum, at least in comparison to some other boards I go to .. if people want a quick way to say it, even if it doesn't really make as much sense, it's still obvious .. people should just say JPN or something

Yeah, I've seen it a number of times on various threads here and have tried to point it out, but some people just don't seem to care... Angry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: