jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Celebrity Obituaries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwracer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KouSeiya315 wrote:
WHAT??? Google That's so weird....he was not even old Shake Head

That hard living with the drugs and all takes it's toll... He did have a stroke back in '97... That's almost a precursor to future occurences, I think... Sad
Impression15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just when Dave Chapelle brought him back into the spotlight.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Impression15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just when Dave Chapelle brought him back into the spotlight.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ahochaude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When I heard that on the news yesterday, I was like OMFG!!!!! Google

That sucks......... Another legend gone. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's sad say, but you can't be that surprised, with all the abuse his system has taken.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

warren.mcclendon wrote:
It's sad say, but you can't be that surprised, with all the abuse his system has taken.

Absolutely.
lovelessemotion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

no more "i'm rick james....."
Geezer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Julia Child dies at 92 Reply with quote Back to top

Julia Child, "The French Chef" died in her sleep last night. Kidney failure is suspected to have been the cause of death... but the fact that she was 92 probably had something to do with it as well.

I was tempted to put this note over in the Featured Artistes section because she was such a TV icon. But I don't know if the folks from other countries know who she was, or if the kids from the U.S. knew her.

This, boys and girls, was the Grand Dame of the cooking show. She's the lady who introduced French Cuisine to the great American unwashed. She was on TV for over 40 years. And she was just a trip.

A classically trained French Chef, she took most of the snootiness out of cooking really fine meals. She never worried about being a great Artist in the Kitchen. She just wanted to show people how to make really good food.

There's a nice article on her over at the N.Y. Times.

PBS will probably go on running her shows for another 40 years... but I wanted to mention it here, because I'm gonna miss that old girl.
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yikes. Woulda' liked to have seen her go up against one of the Iron Chefs.

I think her kitchen's in the Smithsonian or something like that?

R.I.P., Grand Dame.
Impression15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yea i remember her show when I was a lad, with the hump back and taste-testing of other chef's foods.
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think I used one of her brisket recipes. Is brisket French? Hmmm. I could be mistaken. With all of my self-taught mad cooking skills, I can't believe I can't credibly cite a single recipe I used from her. I'll start now.
Geezer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

See, I'm old.

I remember her shows from when she was this tall (6'2") ramrod straight, patrician of a woman.

But yeah. over the last couple of years, I've found myself more worried about her than anything else.

She was getting more and more bent over, and I was always a little scared that her fingers would simply break off when she tried to lift a pan.

But she taught me how to make Steak Diane, and she taught me how to cook a Turkey. And she taught me how to cook blue fish. And...

And she made me laugh.
Mr.ChoyBoi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

She was a good cook when she was rather young, then all I remember is that when she got older she started to work with that jacques peppin or however you spell it... And she liked to taste to food with a spoon then use the spoon again.... hehe
Geezer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mr.ChoyBoi wrote:
She was a good cook when she was rather young, then all I remember is that when she got older she started to work with that jacques peppin or however you spell it... And she liked to taste to food with a spoon then use the spoon again.... hehe

Hahaha! If that freaked you out, then never go to work in, or visit a professional kitchen. You might never be able to enjoy a meal again.

One of the lines Julia was most famous for...

"For all her expertise at the stove, what made Mrs. Child such an influential teacher was her good-humored insistence that cooking was not brain surgery. If you drop the turkey on the floor, she would say, "You're alone in your kitchen."" Just pick it up and go on with the dressing."

That's from the N.Y. Times article.

They also mention the way she drove sponsors nuts. On TV, with the sponsor in the audience, she demonstrated how to break off a part of a Cuisinart to make it less cumbersome.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

91... R.I.P.

I never really got into her cooking shows 'cause I felt she was sorta sloppy and somewhat unsanitary.... I used to watch The Frugal Gourmet a lot (BTW, Jeff Smith passed away a couple of months ago)...

I'm a big fan of America's Test Kitchen, they cook stuff that a regular person would try to cook, have a sense of humor, and make recommendations on products, like Consumer Reports... No other show seems to do that... Smile

Last edited by bmwracer on Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
ASZSephiroth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let's all give her a farewell salute.

We will miss your expert advice to us that love to cook. Thank you Julia Child for being a wonderful cook.

You will be missed.
Kijinnmaru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

She was pretty much the mother of cooking shows, if I recall correctly. Was also in the OSS(the pre-CIA) during World War 2. She will be missed.
Golgo_13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is she gonna be cremated? In an oven?
bmwracer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Golgo_13 wrote:
Is she gonna be cremated? In an oven?

That's pretty rude.
ahochaude

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OMG OMG

She died? I totally forgot all about her. I used to watch her cooking show ALL the time with my grandma when I was a kid during the summertime when school was out. My grandma loved that show!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 5 of 44

Jump to: