jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
marriage within families?!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahochaude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
Nice! Any relation to you, Aho??

I don't think so.... But I wouldn't be suprised if there was.

Like the time I met a cousin at work (Marukai) that I didn't even know I had. Beaten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
I don't think so.... But I wouldn't be suprised if there was.

Like the time I met a cousin at work (Marukai) that I didn't even know I had. Beaten

I thought I heard/read that in Hawaii everyone's related in some way or another... Would that mean if you hooked up with someone else on the island, it would be incest?? Nut Sweat
niko2x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
I thought I heard/read that in Hawaii everyone's related in some way or another... Would that mean if you hooked up with someone else on the island, it would be incest?? Nut Sweat
well you know what they say "nuthin' spells lovin' like marryin' yer cousin." LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

hehe hehe Nah, it's not THAT bad.

Although I am proud to say that I AM a product of incest! Beaten Beaten

My Great grandparents were cousins arranged for marriage back in Okinawa (dad's side) back in like the late 1800's or so. Heh, and as a result of their "union", 10 kids were produced! (My grandpa and his many brothers and sisters) bleh bleh

No wonder Aho is so jacked up! Beaten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:

hehe hehe Nah, it's not THAT bad.

My Great grandparents were cousins arranged for marriage back in Okinawa (dad's side) back in like the late 1800's or so. Heh, and as a result of their "union", 10 kids were produced! (My grandpa and his many brothers and sisters) bleh bleh

No wonder Aho is so jacked up! Beaten

So Okinawa is Asia's equivalent of the South in the US... hehe hehe
niko2x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
so that means if uehara takako is in HI, she's fair game as well. right? Naughty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
So Okinawa is Asia's equivalent of the South in the US... hehe hehe

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Mind you that it was over 100 years ago. Beaten

Niko2x wrote:
so that means if uehara takako is in HI, she's fair game as well. right? Naughty

Nah. I don't swing that way. I'm not into that incest thing that was so hot and fashionable 100 years plus ago.
BUT, that's only if I'm somehow related to her, which I doubt.......

If I'm not, she better watch out! hehe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Not for me. What source does this "heard/read" hail?

I can trace my family roots on my ma's and dad's side. No "incest" there. Helps to have different ethnicities, too, I suppose.
groink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Well, it was technically true about 200+ years ago.

Within the Hawaiian monarchy, it was common practice for the family members to propagate among themselves. And I'm not just talking about cousins... Brothers mated with their sisters. King Kamehameha I's parents were supposedly siblings themselves.

--- groink
pcmodem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Not Just Hawaii Reply with quote Back to top

Intermarriage among the various ruling familes of various cultures has existed throughout history... from the Egyptians to the Hapsburgs.
-PCM
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

groink wrote:

Well, it was technically true about 200+ years ago.

Within the Hawaiian monarchy, it was common practice for the family members to propagate among themselves. And I'm not just talking about cousins... Brothers mated with their sisters. King Kamehameha I's parents were supposedly siblings themselves.

--- groink

Right, but, I guess what folks outside of Hawai'i should understand is that not everyone living here is of "Hawaiian" ancestry (want proof? Take me: I would never have been able to get into the Kamehameha Schools).

Hawaii experienced an influx of Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, Filipino, Korean, other Caucasian, some Spanish, other Pacific Islanders . . . etc. during Plantation Days li'dat. I know this is a bit simplistic in explaining, but, shows you how much different culture (or ethnicities; oh, did I mention that already?) a "small place" like Hawai'i has.

My point: there is as much opportunity to not be related to someone you date or marry here in Hawaii. OK.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Man wrote:
Not for me. What source does this "heard/read" hail?

Recalling from memory Sweat , when I was in Hawaii back in '96, two different tour guides mentioned that... The fact that two different guides mentioned it made me think... Beaten
ahochaude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Recalling from memory Sweat , when I was in Hawaii back in '96, two different tour guides mentioned that... The fact that two different guides mentioned it made me think... Beaten

Ah, they must've been tour guides hired by a mainland company who've never even been to Hawaii until they became tour guides. Pssshhfff like they know. U Suck hehe hehe hehe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:

Ah, they must've been tour guides hired by a mainland company who've never even been to Hawaii until they became tour guides. Pssshhfff like they know. U Suck hehe hehe hehe

Thank you. I almost posted this, but, I figure, ah, what's the sense?
bmwracer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:

Nah, I'm pretty sure the tour guides were native of Hawaii... He wasn't a hakujin, that's for sure... He just made that remark, that's all. I thought it odd, since another tour guide made a similar remark...
Golgo_13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Only in W. Virgina, Arkansas and Tennessee
ahochaude

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Golgo_13 wrote:
Only in W. Virgina, Arkansas and Tennessee

Confused

You mean nowadays? Crazy Head Scratch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

I don't think they meant by blood, but through marriage and friendship.

Take me for example. I have a caucasian uncle (married to my mother's cousin) and a chinese brother and caucasian sister (very close friends). Mr Green

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rinrin wrote:

I don't think they meant by blood, but through marriage and friendship.

Take me for example. I have a caucasian uncle (married to my mother's cousin) and a chinese brother and caucasian sister (very close friends). Mr Green

Yeah, that's probably what they meant. Since the islands are so small, everyone knows someone you know. Well kind of. But it's not uncommon to see someone who you haven't seen for years, or find out that you're related to someone you didn't know you were related to. Then usually the reply is "Oh, small world yeah?!". Small world? I say more like small island.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:

But it's not uncommon to see someone who you haven't seen for years

Well, everyone says, if you want to see someone you haven't seen in a long time go to Vegas! (Although, I don't think that would work for me!)

Quote:
or find out that you're related to someone you didn't know you were related to. Then usually the reply is "Oh, small world yeah?!". Small world? I say more like small island.

I've had that happen to me a few times!! Sweat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: