jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
American Football (NFL, College, etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 237, 238, 239  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:
The win was nice. But if they'd lost the game, Erickson would have been fired on Monday. And nobody I know thinks that would be a bad thing.

well, like i mentioned, i believe erickson's gonna be made out to be the scapegoat. either this year or next - depending on whether they can find a viable replacement.

what's the 'boys excuse??? we got trounced by the 'aints! glad they didn't broadcast that game in hawaii. i probably would've ruptured a vein yelling at the tv.

my fantasy team did alright, but the eagles kinda let me down (i've got terrell and the def), and so i think i'm losing by about 20pts! Doh!
mvc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jholic wrote:

well, like i mentioned, i believe erickson's gonna be made out to be the scapegoat. either this year or next - depending on whether they can find a viable replacement.

what's the 'boys excuse??? we got trounced by the 'aints! glad they didn't broadcast that game in hawaii. i probably would've ruptured a vein yelling at the tv.

my fantasy team did alright, but the eagles kinda let me down (i've got terrell and the def), and so i think i'm losing by about 20pts! Doh!

Yeah Erickson is definately gone at the end of the season. I don't like him as a coach but I'm not blaming the bad season on him. Niners just don't have the personel to compete. That being said, I hope the Niners get a good coach taht will stick with the team for awhile.

And I think I heard that the previous win over the Cardinals was the exact same score? Sweat
dochira

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mvc wrote:

Yeah Erickson is definately gone at the end of the season. I don't like him as a coach but I'm not blaming the bad season on him. Niners just don't have the personel to compete. That being said, I hope the Niners get a good coach taht will stick with the team for awhile.

They need players that can compete on the field. Right now the team is filled with players that need time to develop. Most of the experienced players were either gettisoned out or are injured. Makes you wonder how much experience they are really getting this season. They still look shaky in the red zone (whenever they reach it that is Beaten )

mvc wrote:

And I think I heard that the previous win over the Cardinals was the exact same score? Sweat

Yes, you heard correctly. Except it was the Cards turn to come from behind. But the Niners kicked the winning FG both times.
Doramafan113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Although winning may hurt the 49ers chance of getting a better 1st round pick there is no way the ownership would pay the salary of one anyway.

I think Erickson did as good of a job as he could with the tools he was given. I wish him well when he hits the road. I think the next coach will be in a better position. The 49ers can't get much worse so whatever he does he will look great.
Geezer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The update on the 49ers web site says that Erickson met with the Dork, and Erickson will coach the team through the final games of this season, and then they'll talk about it.

My best guess is that means he's gone.

Is he a scapegoat? Sure. But while there are big problems with the higher ups (York) the bottom line is... Erickson hasn't done a good job.

In his first year, the guy took over a team that had gone to the playoffs the year before, and with the same players... he turned in a losing record.

This year... Jeez, even considering the injuries, and the lack of money spent on the players... the team has been crap.

One note: Hicks is slatted to start the next game, and probably the rest of the season.

Barlow didn't help his cause when he announced to the press that he thought the Niners should use all 7 of their draft choices next year on offensive linemen.

As a franchise back, the guy is worthless. As a person... jeez, he's just plain stupid!
jholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mvc: just to clarify - i don't believe that erickson SHOULD be blamed for everything that went wrong w/ the 9ers. i'm just saying that he WILL be blamed.

Geezer wrote:
Barlow didn't help his cause when he announced to the press that he thought the Niners should use all 7 of their draft choices next year on offensive linemen.
As a franchise back, the guy is worthless. As a person... jeez, he's just plain stupid!

ha! rofl
Geez, you are sooo right! and to think, i had no choice but to draft him in my fantasy draft. glad i took corey dillon before him. barlow has been such a let-down, and it doesn't help AT ALL that he keeps making awful comments.
eltinator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So anyone get to see the Brown's miraculous 17 yard performance? hehe hehe

Funny thing is that I started Dennis Northcutt too and he had the TD! hehe hehe w00t!
Ikumu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Terrific, Garcia is done for the year. My weak team just got weaker. bleh
Geezer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ikumu wrote:

How does your team get weaker by losing a guy who has spent the whole year setting records for ineptitude?
jholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ikumu wrote:

you talking about your fantasy team, or are you a browns fan?

if you're browns fan, i feel for you. it sucks when your #1 overall draft pick never pans out, and his backup is only good as a backup. i think the browns tried to improve by acquiring garcia, but i never felt he was that good even w/ the 9ers. but it looked like he might be successful because of the browns' talented wideouts. i guess that never happened.
Geezer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Erickson meeting with Ole Miss Reply with quote Back to top

Man, the bullcrap is flying high and thick in the Bay Area.

After spending the day telling the press and anyone who would listen that he's not quiting, and that, contrary to reports that he was going for the Head Coaching job at Ole Miss, he hadn't even been contacted by Ole Miss...

THis evening, Coach Erickson asked for and got formal permission from the Niners to open talks with Ole Miss about their Head Coaching job.

This evening he was seen at a hotel in Santa Clara having the first formal interview for the job.

When questioned afterward, the guy from Ole Miss talked about what a good candidate Erickson was. That he was everything they were looking for.

And Erickson? Erickson went back to the old line... I'm the Niner coach, and will be until the end of the season. And then he'll talk to Yark about the future when the season is over.

Just to be clear, that's basically the same line he used at the end of his tenure at Miami. He was the HC at Miami and wasn't planning any changes. Then the next day he was gone, and a few days later the NCAA put Miami on 5 years probation because of all the crap Erickson had let go on while he was there.
jholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well, i knew that erickson was never the coach of their future, but i really thought the 9ers would hold on to him for one season more - after all, i don't think any other coach is going to be successful there next season.

but with a very high draft pick coming, they probably want to get their 'coach-of-the-future' now.

Geez: who would you want coaching the 9ers? (sorry, bill belicheck's taken....)
Geezer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jholic

Since I didn't think much of Erickson when they brought him in, I'm not real sad about the possibility that he'll be leaving early.

Who would I want coaching the Niners?

In my dreams, Jeff Tedford of Cal or Pete Caroll of USC, but neither will happen. Both are in great situations having great success, and neither would be dumb enough to give that up to come to the quagmire the Niners have become.

If Mike Holmgren is fired in Seattle (and I think he might be) I think he'd give the Niners some breathing room to rebuild the franchise's image.

He has his ties to the team, the city and the fans. And he'd bring back his version of the Niner offense.

Then again, they had their shot to get Denny Green, and he chose to go to the Cards over the Niners. So I don't know if Mike will need the job badly enough to make coming home worth it.

I wonder what George is doing?
pcmodem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:

Who would I want coaching the Niners?

In my dreams, Jeff Tedford of Cal... Pete Caroll of USC... and neither would be dumb enough to give that up to come to the quagmire the Niners have become.

If Mike Holmgren is fired in Seattle (and I think he might be) I think he'd give the Niners some breathing room to rebuild the franchise's image.

He has his ties to the team, the city and the fans. And he'd bring back his version of the Niner offense.

I wonder what George is doing?

Pete Carroll had been the 49er Defensive Coordinator back in 1995 and 1996, before being shown the door. The sportswriters back then largely thought the 49ers succeeded in spite of Carroll's coaching, much as the offense did under Offensive Coordinator Marc Trestman. The Carroll-Trestman combination brought the downfall of George Seifert and the beginning of the Steve Mariucci era.

In my dreams, Jeff Tedford would take over the 49ers as coach. But I don't think he's foolish enough to work for York the Dork.

If Mike Holmgren gets fired by Paul Allen, he would be feeling vulnerable enough to actually consider coming to the 49ers. Holmgren would be a good fit for the 49ers and would help sell tickets, restoring faith to the 49er Faithful, since he's part of the Bill Walsh family. Holmgren was Offensive Coordinator of the 1989 season SuperBowl Champion 49ers and is a native San Franciscan.

Dump York! w00t!
-PCM
Geezer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PC

Though they were both here at the same time, I never hook Caroll's name up with Trestman's.

Trestman was a major problem. Carroll (IMO) never was.

When George was fired and Carroll was passed over in favor of Mooch, Carroll went directly to being the Head Coach of the NE Pats.

But like I said, it doesn't matter.

My worry is that if they bring in a no name, they'll try to make a dumb PR move like drafting the Heisman winner with the first.

We need a L-OT, a CB and a RB in the first two rounds.

A quick view of the last ten QBs to win the Heisman:

Vinny Testaverde
Andre Ware '89
Ty Detmer '90
Gino Toretta '92
Charlie Ward '93
Dany Wuerffel '96
Chris Weinke '00
Eric Crouch '01
Carson Palmer '02
(name?) White '03
pcmodem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:
My worry is that if they bring in a no name, they'll try to make a dumb PR move like drafting the Heisman winner with the first.

We need a L-OT, a CB and a RB in the first two rounds.

How's Kwame Harris doing at L-OT? He's nearly had a full season under his belt, so should be showing signs of improvement if there's hope for him in the future. The 49ers have been so bad this season I haven't been able to watch on Sundays, generally finding other things to occupy my time.

This would be a draft where I'd love to see Bill Walsh in action. We'll likely have the #1 or #2 pick, so that'd give him space to trade down and get more picks, etc.

Bill Walsh as GM... Jeff Tedford as coach. The Yorks outtahere. Yeah, now that's what I call FANTASY football. Bonk Cry
-PCM
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:
A quick view of the last ten QBs to win the Heisman:

Vinny Testaverde
Andre Ware '89
Ty Detmer '90
Gino Toretta '92
Charlie Ward '93
Dany Wuerffel '96
Chris Weinke '00
Eric Crouch '01
Carson Palmer '02
(name?) White '03

Interestingly, none of 'em have had much impact in the NFL so far. Though you could sorta make a case for Testaverde...
Geezer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BMW

Vinny Testaverde First started for the Buccs in 1987, and was a total bust until he hooked up with the Tuna at the Jets in 98. One fairly good year in New York, and then back to run of the mill.

Andre Ware '89 -- Total bust.

Ty Detmer '90 -- Journeyman back up. Coach in training.

Gino Toretta '92 -- Total Bust. Announcer on local cable.

Charlie Ward '93 -- Never played in the NFL. Second rate PG in the NBA.

Dany Wuerffel '96 -- Total bust. Even after Spurrier brought him to Washington.

Chris Weinke '00 -- Back-up. Bust.

Eric Crouch '01 -- Drafted as a safety/WR, left NFL after one season. Bust.

Carson Palmer '02 -- Too soon to tell.

(name?) White '03 -- Too soon to tell.

PCM

Harris has improved some, but A) He couldn't get much worse. B) He's only started two games since the first this year. He's been the starter the last two games and man has he gotten a lot of help. TEs FBs and TBs are all chipping on his side.

Next to Newberry, Harris if by far the best run blocker on the team. So they put him at LT. Stupid.

He was a decent, though not dominant RIGHT Tackle in College. So they put him at LT. Stupid.

He was drafted because of his height, weight, speed. Not because of the way he played football. Stupid.

He could be a very good Right Tackle, or a great Guard. But I don't think he'll ever be a good Left Tackle. He doesn't have the balance or the quickness.

Last edited by Geezer on Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:
BMW

Vinny Testaverde First started for the Buccs in 1987, and was a total bust until he hooked up with the Tuna at the Jets in 98. One fairly good year in New York, and then back to run of the mill.

Andre Ware '89 -- Total bust.

Ty Detmer '90 -- Journeyman back up. Coach in training.

Gino Toretta '92 -- Total Bust. Announcer on local cable.

Charlie Ward '93 -- Never played in the NFL. Second rate PG in the NBA.

Dany Wuerffel '96 -- Total bust. Even after Spurrier brought him to Washinton.

Chris Weinke '00 -- Back-up. Bust.

Eric Crouch '01 -- Drafted as a safety/WR, left NFL after one season. Bust.

Carson Palmer '02 -- Too soon to tell.

(name?) White '03 -- Too soon to tell.

Like I said, little impact in the NFL..... Smile
jholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

for those of you who play fantasy football, remember: there are games on saturday! w00t!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
Page 38 of 239

Jump to: