jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Under the Same Roof
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
groink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Under the Same Roof Reply with quote Back to top

12/13 - Changed the subject name. Smile

Right now, I have the opportunity to purchase the original laser disc release of Under the Same Roof. This series is one of the two Jdoramas that I just love to death, and would like a really clean A/A+ copy. The previous versions I have all look pretty bleek, so I thought about just ripping the laser disc version, then add on the subtitles. Yeah it's a lot of work, but it's something I'd like to learn how to do, and this would be a good project to learn from.

If I'm the only one that would benefit from this sort of project, then maybe it isn't worth doing. However, if there are others out there that are also unhappy with the versions that are out there, then maybe I'll do it. So for the "yeah, do it" people, I'd like to hear from you. If enough people are interested, then I'll get into the more specifics on this thread.

Mahalo!

--- groink

Last edited by groink on Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
lovelessemotion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

do it groink man!
Uchiha Potato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sounds great. go for it!
arnel98

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i second that specially since i dont have the previous version anyway.
btw. groink, where do u release ur stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

arnel98 wrote:
i second that specially since i dont have the previous version anyway.
btw. groink, where do u release ur stuff?

So far, I haven't sent anything out to the general public. If there are people who have my captures, it was obtained directly from me via snail-mail trading. I'm getting better and better at this capturing business (I spoke about my new equipment in a previous thread), so when I'm less embarrased with my captures, I'll more likely mail the CDs to someone to BT seed them for me. Smile

--- groink
arnel98

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cool. eniway, i tried the capture u did before in another post but i cant view it. dont have svcd codec.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes

Applaud
for3vergirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I totally support it, it's a very good family drama, especially the second season Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
groink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great!!! Positive feedback! I'll do it! Now I need to wait a couple of days to see if I actually win the laser disc package (it's on an auction site). More likely I'll win, it is just a matter of how much money I end up having to pay. In the meantime, I'll take the really bad version of the series and start copying down the English subtitles. BTW, I'll be copying the subtitles used in the Nippon Golden Network (NGN) broadcast.

--- groink
Pemu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Go for it! I dun have the series, hehe. I'd love to see it.
ruroshin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great, go for it Groink! I've seen the current available esub version, the quality is terrible.
Smiley_18

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, do it. It's a GREAT drama that's worth doing.
groink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Under the Same Roof - Worth re-subbing? Reply with quote Back to top

Great news! I won the laser disc!!!!!!!!!!!! And I didn't have to sell my house to get it... Just under 10,000 yen for the winning price, service fees, shipping etc. The auction site I bought it from takes awhile (the seller sends it to the deputy service, then the deputy service sends it to me), so we're looking at up to three weeks just to get my hands on the media. Here's what it looks like:

Can't wait!!! Smile

--- groink
Uchiha Potato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Congratulations Groink! happy subbing. Also if you every need help distro wise you can count on me^_^
Michi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

omg!!! u're so lucky!!! Big Grin congratz!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
groink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AWESOME NEWS!!!!! The laser disc set is now in my hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEST LINK AND INFORMATION HAVE BEEN REMOVED. Please read further through this thread for more recent test files & information!

Thanks, everyone!!!!

--- groink

Last edited by groink on Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smiley_18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I downloaded the test... The quality of the picture is really good! I don't know... I feel that sometimes the picture and the words are a bit jumpy. Thanks for the demo... Too bad it was that short.

Good luck with the subbing and Thanks! Applaud

Also.. I was wondering, after u finish with the subbing and stuff, can u let users dl the drama through http link first? Smile
groink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Smiley_18 wrote:
I downloaded the test... The quality of the picture is really good! I don't know... I feel that sometimes the picture and the words are a bit jumpy. Thanks for the demo... Too bad it was that short.

Also.. I was wondering, after u finish with the subbing and stuff, can u let users dl the drama through http link first? Smile

I'm sort of noticing the same thing. However, it's more like a flickering effect so you and I may be noticing the same thing, we're just calling it different things. Looking at the laser disc playing right on the TV, that same flickering effect occurs, so it may be because the laser disc is of a lower resolution, or it may even be my laser disc player. Dunno... I wish I knew more about laser disc technology. The video coming off the player is composite - they didn't have S-Video out during those days, though there probably are laser disc players that have S-Video out. I'm thinking that the video signal is somewhat bleeding because of it being composite. I think I'm thinking too much into this!!!!! Bleah

As far as distribution goes, I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do it. Via http, it's going to kill my web site big-time! However, I'm going to see if I can talk a friend of mine into letting me store the stuff on his server, one episode at a time. I actually work for a ISP, so I can probably get disk space and unlimited bandwidth very cheap. I'll start pursuing that route.

WITH THAT... I've posted my 2nd test. Same video footage, but this time I've stuck in the English subtitles, and sampled the video down to VCD/MPEG-1 so the file is about 25MB or so. For this test, I'd like to see if the subtitles are clear enough for viewing in VCD mode. I'm noticing that as I sample the video down, the subtitles aren't as clear as I'd like it to be. But you people be the final judge... FYI, I'm using Microsoft's Verdana font for the text. I'm also experimenting with the shadowing and outlining of the text to see what looks best.

TEST FILE HAS BEEN REMOVED.

--- groink

Last edited by groink on Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
amrayu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

groink wrote:

I'm sort of noticing the same thing. However, it's more like a flickering effect so you and I may be noticing the same thing, we're just calling it different things. Looking at the laser disc playing right on the TV, that same flickering effect occurs, so it may be because the laser disc is of a lower resolution, or it may even be my laser disc player. Dunno... I wish I knew more about laser disc technology. The video coming off the player is composite - they didn't have S-Video out during those days, though there probably are laser disc players that have S-Video out. I'm thinking that the video signal is somewhat bleeding because of it being composite. I think I'm thinking too much into this!!!!! Bleah

As far as distribution goes, I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do it. Via http, it's going to kill my web site big-time! However, I'm going to see if I can talk a friend of mine into letting me store the stuff on his server, one episode at a time. I actually work for a ISP, so I can probably get disk space and unlimited bandwidth very cheap. I'll start pursuing that route.

WITH THAT... I've posted my 2nd test. Same video footage, but this time I've stuck in the English subtitles, and sampled the video down to SVCD/MPEG-2 so the file is about 25MB or so. For this test, I'd like to see if the subtitles are clear enough for viewing in SVCD mode. I'm noticing that as I sample the video down, the subtitles aren't as clear as I'd like it to be. But you people be the final judge... FYI, I'm using Microsoft's Verdana font for the text. I'm also experimenting with the shadowing and outlining of the text to see what looks best.

http://www.macgeek.org/jdrama/test/Our_House-Test-02-svcd-groink.mpg

--- groink

im noticing the blinking throughout the clip as well. also certain colors don't capture as well onto a pc (for example. red, pink, bright green). So thats why the pink font bleeds a little.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
amrayu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i watched the second test clip, and its good quality. the subs are pretty easy to read as well.
good luck with the project!!!
Applaud

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: