jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Old time Classic J-POP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiroki0520

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Old time Classic J-POP Reply with quote Back to top

Discuss what's your first time hearing J-POP or what's your classic definition of J-POP? Artists? Anything you want to discuss here~

Enjoy~
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i didn't listen to jpop until quite recently.. so probably the first one i've listened to was smap's lion heart.. that was such a great song it immediately got me out buying that 014 album.. but now, i'm listening to a few older songs.. nakayama miho is great.. so is deen..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
groink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Old time Classic J-POP Reply with quote Back to top

hiroki0520 wrote:
Discuss what's your first time hearing J-POP or what's your classic definition of J-POP? Artists? Anything you want to discuss here~
Enjoy~

My very first JPOP CD I ever received was Matsuda Seiko's It's Style '95, back in 1995. My friend's girlfriend is a VIP within the McDonald's Corporate structure, and she flies back and forth between Hawaii and Japan. She's also made quite a number of contacts with the Japanese because of her many trips.

For my birthday that year, she invited me to a party in Honolulu when she heard what a fanatic I was about Japanese women. And at the party was Seiko-chan herself!!! I shook her hand and told her I idolized her and like listening to her music. She then gave me her latest CD and signed it for me. Totally cool moment!!!!!

My first Sakai Noriko CD was 10 SONGS, also released in 1995. I had to mention that so Noriko-chan wouldn't be jelous of Seiko-chan. Smile

--- groink
ruroshin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My first exposure to jpop was through anime. I think it must of been Ranma 1/2 way back in 1992.

yappa yappa Big Grin

The first jpop artist that I got to know was Amuro Namie. She was the jpop queen back then.
sephy1024

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="ruroshin"]My first exposure to jpop was through anime. I think it must of been Ranma 1/2 way back in 1992.

yappa yappa Big Grin

[quote]
Yappapa yappa ishanten Crazy
Hoshi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First time I heard J-Pop was when I borrowed Ayu's album A Song for XX (i think that's the title... so long ago) from a friend in school. Heard it and forget. (gomen to all Ayu fans, I realise she's pretty good now Sweat ) Some where along the line came Lion Heart by Smap and some Kinki Kids songs introduced by another friend when we went on a study trip overseas.

Nothing really hit hard until I heard Hirai Ken's Kiss of Life on the radio and from then on I listened to music from Hikki, Chemistry, Gospellers and of course Hirai Ken. Now I even listen to songs by the Johnny's artistes (sounds like relapse Sweat )

I supposed Ayu's songs defined J-Pop for me. She's really famous in Asian c'tries and people knew who she is even though they don't really know what J-Pop is (like me then...)

Last edited by Hoshi on Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
lovelessemotion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Old time Classic J-POP Reply with quote Back to top

groink wrote:

For my birthday that year, she invited me to a party in Honolulu when she heard what a fanatic I was about Japanese women. And at the party was Seiko-chan herself!!! I shook her hand and told her I idolized her and like listening to her music. She then gave me her latest CD and signed it for me. Totally cool moment!!!!!
--- groink
TALK ABOUT LUCK!!!! ur one lucky dude!!!!!
ruroshin wrote:
My first exposure to jpop was through anime. I think it must of been Ranma 1/2 way back in 1992.

yappa yappa Big Grin

The first jpop artist that I got to know was Amuro Namie. She was the jpop queen back then.
mine was trough anime aswell....
sailor moon to be exact.... Sweat MOONLIGHT DENSETSU -moonlips Sweat yeah i knwo its for girls..but hey i was 13... ever since then i was hooked... but now i listen to mostly j-rock! Applaud

Last edited by lovelessemotion on Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Dorrin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First time I actually started listening was after Heaven's Coins with Noriko Sakai's Aoi Usagi. Then there was Miho Nakayama and Mirai e no Present from Oishii Kankei. Since then I've started listening to more JPOP artists.

Funny thing is that I used to hate it when my parents watched Japanese TV every Saturday night. (Those of you from the San Francisco Bay Area will know that we only get Japanese TV on Saturday and Sunday nights.) Another memory was having to sit through those New Year's Specials where all the singers from the past and present sing on two teams.

Now, I can't wait for every New Year's and of course every Sunday night of Hey Hey Hey.
juliana_phang

Location: Le-Ciel, 1F,No.9 IS-Building, 1-13-6, Ebisu, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan 150-0013

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the first j-music i listened to was..
chage n aska - say yes
i was like...7 years old that time i think..forgotten
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Akakage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let me see..classic J-pop..Shonen Tai -Baby -baby, baby
Hikaru Genji -Graduation, Winning Run, Garasu no Jyudai (yup..da old Johnny's Junor again..in the 80's) Bleah ( I was in Junior high school and high school back then). Thank God there's SMAP and V6 after Hikaru Genji's broke up.

And..started to listen to these guys when I was in college..Chage and Aska- Say yes and..
X-Japan -say Anything (they really rocks!!) Mr Green
hiroki0520

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mine's was on a first MD portable mz-r90 and it's Utada Hikaru's First Love, darn it was classic early 1990's era song~ Big Grin Big Grin
hiroki0520

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll form a new topic, and I'll list old songs, typically those older 20 to 30 yrs old would know, and I'll go more earlier back into what usually grandparents in Japan listen back then~

On a side note, arashinokoto said nakayama miho, that's quite old, and that's what i'm goin' to list, her songs are more in 1980's and ithink late 1970's; Wow, some of you mentioned chage & aska, they started in 1970's.

I'll come back to share more early 1990's my experience; as said, I'll form a new topic mentioned above.

Guys, you can share more of your experience~so others can find to listen too~!
hiroki0520

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

groink, u're definitely lucky to meet a Japanese celeb as others said.
Haha Smile
valle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the first jpop i HEARD was shounentai's kamen budokai (damn mum)
the song that hooked me on jpop was namie amuro's can you celebrate and kinki kids to heart song
windrider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The first song i heard was Chage and aska say yes, back in.. 95? Its really an incredible song... once in a century kinda song. I get moved by the song even now when i listen to it. I wonder if i will ever get tired of this song Mr Green
niko2x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

windrider wrote:
The first song i heard was Chage and aska say yes, back in.. 95? Its really an incredible song... once in a century kinda song. I get moved by the song even now when i listen to it. I wonder if i will ever get tired of this song Mr Green
Man, seeing that chage and aska's "say yes" is a classic must mean I'm getting old, being that was the time I satrted listening to Jppop. I can also include Dreams Come True (doricomu), SPEED, Toshinobu Kobota, and Late 90's Ayu.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

video games were my link i guess, a lot from ddr (dance dance revolution) and also depend on you from the great ayumi (thousand arms)... currently though i think everyone should check out mayumi kojima Wink
billy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mine was '96 (or was it '97??)

Amuro's "Chase the chance".
it was a huge change to include rap & hip hop in japanese music then.
mizune

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

don't really have any concept of when i started listening to it and realizing that it was jpop...it was just always around me, i guess...my older cousins that came over from taiwan were listening to stuff like chage & aska, kuwata band, kome kome club, etc...

then when i was in japan, my host sister got me into a variety of stuff like ozaki yutaka, X-japan, princess princess, lindberg, tube, etc....

and, of course, there was that horrible anime period of my life...best jpop outcome of that period was anzen chitai (who did a bunch of songs for maison ikkoku)...

and my grandmother was *really* into hibari (enka singer)... ^_^;;;
Hijikata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The first JPOP I heard was from anime series.
The first non-anime JPOP songf I heard was Sweet Soul Review by Pizzicato Five

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: