FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Japanese Language Questions? Ask Here.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 100, 101, 102  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Make sure your browser has Javascript and Cookies enabled. Lookup the options/settings.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2001 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i think is that problem too
but i dont know how too
nvm
anyway
thanksssssss
Smile
wakeup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that have to invest the time if really want to learn the language well.

Me just took a introductory Japanese Course as a General Elective in NTU, won't say I learn a lot, but at least it got me started. Do find it exciting to be able to catch a word or two here and there when I watch japanese drama.

Think the hardest part of learning is the starting part, if the foundation is not strong, very hard to learn the more advanced part of the language. Grammer and vocab, yup, borin at first, but hey.... from knowing nothing to something, i guess the boredom part is worth it.

I know a lot of friends who do not want to invest the time for they find it a waste of time to go thru a 3 month course and can only speak like a kindergarden kid in japan, but I believe that if anyone think it is possible to pick up the language and speak like the actors in the dramas within 2 months.... they are dreaming I think. Just wondering how many of use who have studied english for 10+ years but still cannot master it, so what were people expecting for japanese??

But for those who really have an interest, please do take some course. I think you will find the time well invested at the end.
=)
tetsukei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with wakeup. Without grammar, a language cannot function. Although Japanese is a monotonal language, it isn't THAT simple to be picked up in 2 months.

Taking a course would be beneficial even if you think you'd like to self-study. In order to self-study, you must learn to read in Japanese first. Most books that teach in Romaji aren't very effective.

Wakeup, do you plan to go on to Intermediate I and II in NTU? As far as I know, Intermediate I was really enjoyable, though hectic.
wakeup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tetsukei:

Yup, I intend to take intermediate I and II(and advanced if I can survive that long).

Think depends more on whether I can get a place for it next semester.

I think I was lucky to get a good tutor for my introductory course. =P
Genma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very hard to get a place in Intermediate nowadays, especially when you are on overload. (you'd normally have to overload to take all the LJ modules, unless you're from CS Bleah) With that, add on the timetable clashes, its against all odds.

Anyway, do go for Int I, at least try and take JLPT after that. Smile
Yukii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2001 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is also a website in the net done by Monash Uni in Australia to help translate both romaji to english and also KanJi or Hiragana to English .. It also provide a site where you can actually enter the URL of the Japanese Website on the net and it can acutally translate all the info inside to english!!! .. A good site the try out .. ^_^ the url is:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html
tetsukei

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2001 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Who was your tutor for introductory? My tutor was Sasaki sensei, the strict but motherly lady. As for intermed I, my sensei was the lovely Morikawa Youko :)

I really hope she'll be back to teach intermed II next semester, because I plan to take it soon.

Yes, Genma's right. Take JLPT soon! It feels good to have a nice certificate all in Japanese Big Grin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

May I ask whether what is the difference between these few addressing 'san', 'chan', 'ku'. Are they like Mr, Mrs, Mdm, Miss? Are there others? How do we use them? Hope that someone can answer my question.
Genma

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

san - formal way of addressing others (Mr, Mrs, Miss, Mdm, whatever...)

chan - informal, for ppl u're familiar with (usually female)

kun - for addressing a junior male (e.g. teacher to male student)

Not sure about "ku" though Bleah

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

May I know whether how do you use these addressings 'san', 'chan', 'ku' etc... are they like Miss, Mr, Mrs, Mdm? When is it suitable to use each of them?
Genma

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2001 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

isn't it described above?
Miss/Mr/Mrs/Mdm can all be addressed to as "san" (e.g. Kohara-san) No gender difference.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There are VCDs that guides you through basic Japanese. I have one that uses both English and Japanese in it. It uses a simple step by step approach. You should have no problem following the course. These VCDs are available in most software VCDs shop. Take some time to go there browsing the selections.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Software VCDs shop? Can it be found in Singapore?
Eikichi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

'O' signifies respect put to ones name.
chibi is the name of the person/thing.
chan signifies cuteness or fondness of a person.
jimmytcm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I meant shops that you can buy softwares from.There are many in Singapore.
aylie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I read in a manga, that someone called a woman with 'kun' not 'san' or 'chan'. Why?
Genma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Since 'kun' only refers to males, it might have meant to be sarcastic towards the woman (she behaves more like a man?)
Seraquiel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

u can use chan for males also ~ but then kinda like very close fren ~

japanese like to give their possession names too for example their pencil maybe has pictures of rabbit they might call it usa chan ~

every thing they possess will have ____ chan , ______ chan ~

for safe purpose , use san n u will never go wrong Smile

dream

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello , I'm from Indonesia...
and I'd like to learn Japanese too, but as many people say, to learn it from courses is expensive... but I like Japanese Language cvery much. There were times when I follow from drama's line... hehehe ^ - ^ ... I learn it from there only.
Is there any site to study Japanese Language?
thaannnxx before...!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 2 of 102

Jump to: