jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Machiben

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jade_frost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Machiben Reply with quote Back to top

Is anyone watching Makiko Esumi's newest drama?

http://www.nhk.or.jp/dodra/index.html

This looks interesting but without subs I suppose it will be as difficult to understand as Beginner.
ilovedrama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What is it about?
Shindou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ilovedrama wrote:
What is it about?

it's a lawyer series, looks rather interesting and its got some pretty established actors/actresses in it - i'm not a huge fan of lawyer shows but based on the description, it sounds promising. looks like it'll only be a rather short 6 episode series.

see http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Machiben

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not a fan of lawyer dramas myself. I think I'll pass this one unless I hear lots of praises. Thanks anyway.
jade_frost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep it's a six-parter, and Makiko Esumi's return to the tv screen after a two year break.

She plays Ryoko Amachi, a former prosecuter turned small-time, neighbourhood lawyer (machi bengoshi hence the title Machiben) taking on cases involving truth, justice and average people. With so few episodes, Machiben will probably be a tightly written drama, and some are saying that it's the best out of the three law dramas that are airing this season. The others being Shichinin no Onna Bengoshi and Bengoshi no Kuzu.
minerva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Minna, I'm really looking forward to this dorama. Since I really like "court room/law" stories, I download the 1st episode. Unfortunately I cannot understand the case, so can somebody please put some short review/synopsis of this dorama?
jade_frost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Courtesy of Yomiuri. *Do not read if you do not wish to know the story.

Episode 1 synopsis:

The story opens with Amachi standing before the judge in a grim courtroom. She is being charged with murder, but her defense attorney declares her innocence. To begin to explain how she got into this predicament, the scene flashes back to the winter of the previous year and a strange but deadly case of arson.

The cast includes a face that is seldom seen on the small screen nowadays--the 1970s singing star Kenji Sawada. He plays an attorney who once ran his own prestigious law firm but now hangs around the "machiben" office in a run-down building that used to be a pharmacy. The place still serves the suffering, such as their client Miyuki, whose teenage daughter was killed in the arson attack.

The arsonist is the son of a rich doctor. Unable to pass any medical school entrance exams, he alleviates his stress by spray-painting graffiti. He claims he did not see the girl who was killed by the fumes from his ignited spray-paint can. His rich family retains Kambara, a young lawyer from a big international firm, played by Koji Yamamoto.

Since the arsonist is a minor and this is Japan, Kambara easily gets him off the hook. No jail, no juvenile detention, and since he is a minor the case can't be retried and the victim's mother cannot see him or learn the details of the case. The frustrated Miyuki asks Amachi to file a civil suit so she can learn the truth. On the day of the first hearing, Miyuki tries to bring a framed photo of her daughter to court, but the legal system does not allow this. When the arsonist takes the stand, Miyuki attacks him with a ballpoint pen and ends up in a cell herself.

Amachi realizes Miyuki filed the suit just so she could confront him and seek revenge. Still, Amachi puts in a good word for her with the prosecutor, who just happens to be her former fiance, and with a little detective work on Amachi's part they are back in court again and able to force the arsonist to confess. He purposely set the fire after the girl caught him painting graffiti and threatened to call the police.

Meanwhile, Kambara, a third-generation lawyer and grandson of a Supreme Court justice, who is also enamored of truth and justice, quits the big firm. Amachi offers him a post at the machiben office. He declines but, obviously, he eventually changes his mind because it is Kambara shown defending Amachi in court in the opening scene.
Geezer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jade,

Thank you for the synopsis. It filled in a lot of blanks.

I downloaded and watched the first episode (I'm a big Esumi fan) but my Japanese just isn't good enough for this kind of show. I get the big picture, but miss the subtleties. ie., until I read your synopsis, I had no idea why Makiko was in the dock at the beginning of the show.

Sadly, I think I'm gonna have to give it a pass until someone subs it.

Annoying because it does look like a show that I'd really enjoy.
jade_frost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:
Jade,

Thank you for the synopsis. It filled in a lot of blanks.

I downloaded and watched the first episode (I'm a big Esumi fan) but my Japanese just isn't good enough for this kind of show. I get the big picture, but miss the subtleties. ie., until I read your synopsis, I had no idea why Makiko was in the dock at the beginning of the show.

Annoying because it does look like a show that I'd really enjoy.

No problem! I wish we could have weekly English episode synopsis to accompany it because I'm a big Makiko Esumi fan too! It's difficult to get by just understanding the gist of the story but it seems no one is gonna sub it soon so I'll probably just try to make do with the raws.
jade_frost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just dug this up from Japan Times:

Episode 2 synopsis:

Makiko Esumi and Koji Yamamoto star in Machiben as Ryoko and Keigo, two lawyers who work together, but often find themselves at odds.

In Episode Two, which airs April 15, the pair is representing a high-school teacher named Suzuki who has been arrested on suspicion of kidnapping.

He has no alibi, but Ryoko gets the feeling that Suzuki is hiding important information.

Later, she discovers that on the day the child in question went missing, Suzuki was in a store where one of his students had been caught shoplifting.

That day the teacher had tried to arbitrate on behalf of his student so that the shopkeeper wouldn't press charges. Later, he promised his student that he would never tell anybody about the incident.
jade_frost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh someone's subbing this in Chinese. Fabulous! w00t! Now I'll be able to understand it much better.
jade_frost

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yumiko Inoue has won the 25th Kuniko Mukoda Prize for Machiben. This award honours television drama screenwriters.
shari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:

I saw a subbed version at Japan Video in Japantown.
monta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jade_frost wrote:
Yumiko Inoue has won the 25th Kuniko Mukoda Prize for Machiben. This award honours television drama screenwriters.

i guess this is worth watching ne???

i saw it subbed in chinese malay and english, in a DVD version, in a BM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: