jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Ring/Ringu Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hijikata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Ring/Ringu Thread Reply with quote Back to top

I find Ju-on scarrier. how about you guys and gals what's your opinion?
amran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

YEAH.!!!! Ju-On is more scarier than ringu
Bsalez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep they both have scarry event...in Ring...When Sadako come out from da well...and Ju on when Dat thing crawling infront da victim Sweat
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

moving you to entertainment discussions.. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dummyuser15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

definitely Ju-on. it's creepy and nasty.
Michi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ju-on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ahochaude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmmm. I think that Juon had more creepy parts than Ring.

But if it were based on character, I'd say Sadako takes the cake.
Akakage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
Hmmmm. I think that Juon had more creepy parts than Ring.

But if it were based on character, I'd say Sadako takes the cake.

Ju-on is definitely creepier...

Toshio's face is scary..where the hell did the producer manage to find a scary kid like that?

As for Sadako.. Sweat I'm speechless...(Kowaiiiiiiiii )
Pemu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have not seen Juon but the kiddo's blue face sure is scary! Glowing nicely in the dark. Ringu is one helluva scary movie! The famous tv-scene nearly got me pissed my pants Sweat *Sadako traumatized*
ahochaude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pemu wrote:
Ringu is one helluva scary movie! The famous tv-scene nearly got me pissed my pants Sweat *Sadako traumatized*

hehe Beaten
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: "Ju On"? Reply with quote Back to top

Hhaha, ohhhhh, you HAD to ask. Well, as this IS a forum, lemme offer my 'pinion on Ju On vs. Ringu (with more emphasis on the former).

YellWARNING: following contains spoilers if you plan to see Ju On or Ringu.Yell

Man . . . of all Asian-based horror films thus far . . . all I can say is that Ju On, from my point-of-view at least, ended up presenting itself as vaudevillian.

For every review, opinion, post I read in anticipation of Ju On, I can honestly say that this film will forever be posted on my "letdown" list. Oh, man . . . a boring, uneventful, confusing horror film. The "scary" scenes become mundane quickly. No, you know what? I take that back -- you actually get IRRITATED by them; I swear. I wasn't spooked like I was the night I saw Ringu where (The Man is not ashamed to admit) I unplugged my TV set and (yes, the following WAS a chore) turned the set to face right against the wall behind it before I wen' go sleep; for Ju On, if those apparitions showed up, I woulda' slapped the pale off of 'em (this is not intended as a racist comment, if you're wondering; the ghosts actually ARE, like, color crayon colored white) for boring me and letting me down so darn much.

What was stupid was how the film apparently tried to use the "out of sequence" tactic à la Tarantino (who, as much as I love the guy's movies, kinda' deserves to have something stolen from him for a change, no?) to . . . express something. I don't know what, and I refuse TO spend any more time on this film to find out. Just made things confusing.

The first film in a long time where I just plain lost track of the characters!

The fright factor in Ju On is basically based on this ghost-kid, all in powder white, who keeps rubbing his knees as he's sitting down, and this other lady ghost who crawls down the stairs. They were both killed in some murder/suicide their father enacted (maybe he did it because he got so upset after having watched Ju On) and, so, you know, the whole "restless spirits" thing done for the 4,230,786th time. I can't emphasize enough the silliness that the powdered donut look accorded toward both ghosts; indeed, they look like they were in the same room that had the abundance of flour in John Woo's The Killer; too funny . . . yeah, that's what it looked like -- that the kid and the lady had existed in that opening scene from The Killer and poured flour on themselves -- as they watched Yun Fat get his face splattered with the blood of that one criminal he shoots at point-blank range; then ran over to act in Ju On. And they got these wide eyes that look too deliberate.

There is a segment that shows how the evil force in this film (I like to call it "The Ju On Juice"; and, honestly, this is something I just made up. Not making fun of a certain great famous juicer establishment) affected these school girls. They were kinda' cute, BUT EVEN THEY COULDN'T SAVE THIS . . . film.

After the film, a colleague, after hearing my mini-rant, agreed, but also had to ask if I had seen THIS movie before I saw The Eye or Ringu could I see myself being frightened. I'm glad he asked because it made me reflect just how cheezy this Ju On is; the scare-tactic wears off before the movie even starts. Seriously. Ringu followed the same tried and true formula that keep age-old and similar horror/thriller films, such as Jaws, so successful -- indeed, you really didn't get to see how victims were actually killed until the END of Ringu. I mean, sure it borrows (what film doesn't), but the style was great. This one . . . I was waiting for Haley Joel Osment to appear to pronounce: "I see wide-eyed, flour-covered, dead people."

There are these phones that keep ringing in the film. Just once, JUST ONCE I wanted the caller to say, "you'll die in 7 days" just as a homage, or even to add to the outrageous cop outs.

I viewed the film at a recent Hawai'i International Film Festival and lemme tell ya, folks laughed audibly throughout the film, admittedly, when warranted (which is, basically, a lot of the time). For example, when one of the female characters enters her home, she notices some invisible force and, she doesn't run out of the house; what does she do? SHE LEAVES HER BEDROOM DOOR OPEN AND JUMPS INTO BED, UNDER THE COVERS! Yeah, that made the entire theatre laugh; and I dunno if that effect was intended by the director. That WAS funny, though. Then that kid appears under her covers, staring at her. Yep, that scene not only served as slapstick comedy, but totally derailed the film for me thereafter.

And that lady crawling down the stairs, making cockroach noises . . . that was confusing. Sometimes she was all bloodied up. Sometimes she wasn't. Ugh. What is going on, sistah!?

If this film is any indication (cripes, not even the sexually-charged horror film Gozu -- which I also saw during the festival . . . which was, OK . . . VERY GROSS, Gozu was, but not uber spooky -- was any good) I REALLY think Japanese horror films are becoming TOO ambitious . . . a bit overzealous. Sad, sad. They really need to get back to the drawing board that made them great, even from Kurosawa's time (I mean, the Thai's show some signs of kicking bootay w/The Eye and Korea's getting into the act too, quite competently, with stuff like Memento Mori).

Again, at least Ringu stuck with the always effective building-up-throughout-the-film-then-finally-showing-the-monster-at-the-very-end device.
Kris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i choose ju on
AngelXing

Location: Does It really Matter? We all live on planet earth right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

RingU was definately not scary. But JU-ON was...especially the part where the boy turned up under her blanket and his mother was looking down on her...EEEEWWWW Sweat
ahochaude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AngelXing wrote:
RingU was definately not scary. But JU-ON was...especially the part where the boy turned up under her blanket and his mother was looking down on her...EEEEWWWW Sweat

Yeah, that WAS creepy. But don't you think that Sadako is a little scarier than that kid?! Sweat

Location: Does It really Matter? We all live on planet earth right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude :yes I do think Sadaoko is creepy...but in terms of urm...how do u say...shocking? I think the kid was scary. Imagine...sleeping...then feeling something with you under your blankie. you look and there!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

ahahah...i don't even know what i'm saying...but it's just my own opinion. I'm more afraid of little horror kids than adults. Don't ask me why Google
Yurinoki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ringu had some creepy scenes but overall I don't think the movie is scary. I never seen Ju-on though. ^^;; Maybe it's a good thing I haven't? I'm a very jumpy person *blushes*
Fenrir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sadako really owns in Ring 0 - Birthday. Especially in the end when she starts her spree Twisted

Ju-on vs Ringu... Sadako wins, definitly. A clear K.O. victory over the kid.

Though I prefer the original Ju-on over the theatrical version they made in 2003
ahochaude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fenrir wrote:
Sadako really owns in Ring 0 - Birthday. Especially in the end when she starts her spree Twisted

Def agreed dude!!!

Fenrir wrote:
Ju-on vs Ringu... Sadako wins, definitly. A clear K.O. victory over the kid.

You know it man! hehe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Well all right! Reply with quote Back to top

Fenrir wrote:
Sadako wins, definitly. A clear K.O. victory over the kid.

ahochaude wrote:
Def agreed dude!!!

Whew. Nice to see some Ringu supporters, finally. I was beginning to wonder.

When a flour- and/or blood-covered being comes crawling down your steps fast-like, get the bug spray, WHAT'S SO SPOOKY!?!?!

Thank you [The Man bows], Thank you [The Man bows, reaches down to pick up bouquet of flowers thrown toward his feet, wipes tear, exeunts]
Fenrir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bug sprayis for pansies... I'll get the Gnarled Staff of Whoop Ass +3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: