jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Yamada Taro Monogatari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yanie_chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

roaceica wrote:
can i just ask for those who have seen the first eppie--was it as nice as hyd? or was it just good? thanks!

Its hard to compare both, coz both has a different but also the same feel in various aspects. I can guarantee you that the directing style and cinematography has the same quality as Hana Yori Dango. (The shot of the lizard on the ground, before it shows Taro standing in front of the supermarket, was very nice!^^)

Both HanaDan and YamaTaro are comedies, however HanaDan is a love comedy genre, more on the love story, whereas YamaTaro is a heart-warming comedy, more on the family/siblings and friendship bond, and it shows you how a poor family maintain to keep on living despite all the circumstances...yet, half of the times they make the poorness as a gag^^

On the comical side, YamaTaro is even more hyperbolic-comical along the same line as Nodame Cantabile-comic style with those comic special effects, and it was done very good!^^ In the manga, Takako, the girl who likes Taro, has a very high, nonsense, silly imaginations, and the production team actually realized ALL those imaginations in the dorama^^

I can say, that YamaTaro is as enjoyable as HanaDan 1 ^_^ (I loved HYD2, but the plot kinda dragged and didn't make sense in the middle x))

ojouprincess wrote:
hana kimi is taking all the hype right now, so yamada taro is kind of overlooked, which is sad because i think it has a potential to be the better drama (based on the first ep that is). ^_^

Oh trust me, its BETTER than HanaKimi. I give HanaKimi's first ep -> 7 out of 10. And YamaTaro's first ep -> 8.5 out of 10!^^
roaceica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanks so much yanie and ojouprincess! i will start downloading this then. 4tang commented that this was as good as hyd so i was surprised that it isn't as popular as hanakimi... i guess shun has a lot more fans than nino. Victory! Peace!
evil_zai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yanie_chan wrote:

Oh trust me, its BETTER than HanaKimi. I give HanaKimi's first ep -> 7 out of 10. And YamaTaro's first ep -> 8.5 out of 10!^^

i second!! yamatarou's first epi was great. i dare say, out of the first epis of this season's dramas that i watched so far, yamatarou's was the one i liked most.

then make one...a world where you can live. i'll make one for you. -->shuji
concertmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know it can be life-threatening to post a negative comment in this thread (and the HanaKimi thread), but Yamada taro is one of my favorite mangas (and I don't usually read shojo mangas), so I'm just going to make this one post and get out while I'm still alive. Please bear in mind that this is IMHO only.

The style of the manga is basically farcical (as are the other works of Morinaga Ai). Based on the 1st episode, the drama turned it into a semi realistic, melodramatic, weepy story that is so bland that it's not even funny. I didn't crack a smile throughout the ep., and don't get me started on the 2 male leads (well, at least yamada anyway) who are so different from what is portrayed in the manga. And we are to believe that both of them excelled in academics AND sports? I don't think yamada would last 3 days in his construction job. Someone mentioned about Nodame Cantabile style comic sfx; sorry to say but unless I'm blind these are nowhere to be found. Takako's hallucination does not constitute anime type effects; just go back and watch Nodame (most of the sfx happened in real life, not in imaginations). The only part I like about this drama is the supporting cast, especially Yamada's family members.

I'll give it another 2 episodes to see if it'll get better. HanaKimi, despite all its shortcomings, is actually a lot funnier and Maki is great (I'm not even a fan of hers before this). Of all the dramas this season that have started to air on TV, I like "Papa to Musume Nanokakan" and "Yama Onna Yabe Onna" the best.
marienella

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

my comments will be based on a perspective of a drama follower, i have not read the manga.
Click on button to reveal/hide spoiler:

btw..the ratings for episode 1 is 17.4..the highest so far!! Dancing
ainangst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

concertmaster wrote:
I know it can be life-threatening to post a negative comment in this thread (and the HanaKimi thread), but Yamada taro is one of my favorite mangas (and I don't usually read shojo mangas), so I'm just going to make this one post and get out while I'm still alive. Please bear in mind that this is IMHO only.

The style of the manga is basically farcical (as are the other works of Morinaga Ai). Based on the 1st episode, the drama turned it into a semi realistic, melodramatic, weepy story that is so bland that it's not even funny. I didn't crack a smile throughout the ep., and don't get me started on the 2 male leads (well, at least yamada anyway) who are so different from what is portrayed in the manga. And we are to believe that both of them excelled in academics AND sports? I don't think yamada would last 3 days in his construction job. Someone mentioned about Nodame Cantabile style comic sfx; sorry to say but unless I'm blind these are nowhere to be found. Takako's hallucination does not constitute anime type effects; just go back and watch Nodame (most of the sfx happened in real life, not in imaginations). The only part I like about this drama is the supporting cast, especially Yamada's family members.

I'll give it another 2 episodes to see if it'll get better. HanaKimi, despite all its shortcomings, is actually a lot funnier and Maki is great (I'm not even a fan of hers before this). Of all the dramas this season that have started to air on TV, I like "Papa to Musume Nanokakan" and "Yama Onna Yabe Onna" the best.

cool. i'm interested to find out opinions from the manga readers & regular drama viewers.. and you're a guy right? Bonk .

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon yet. I've only seen the raw from veoh.. its ok. not mind blowing. i'll be too biased to comment but it also annoys the heck outta me because I can see the flaws clearly. I've only read one chapter of the manga (i don't like it Sweat ), but yeah. Nino is an interesting choice to be Prince Taro. He doesn't look prince like nor does he look like a sportsman (I think he have to do cartwheels, gimnastics, pitch baseball for future episode to proove otherwise... still i think not many will believe he's really excellent at those Bleah). A very "interesting" casting choice.

Like Archenon at d-addicts, I think the Arashi fandom is overshadowing the drama. =T
I'm looking forward to more unbiased reviews/comments.

BTW, I'm REALLY HAPPY WITH THE RATINGS! Mr Green
it exceeded my expectation ^______________________^v

EDIT: Taro as construction worker = Nino as Saigo in Letters from Iwo Jima...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
yanie_chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

concertmaster wrote:

Haha... FINALLY, the first negative comments on the drama. Had been expecting this^^ Thanks!!

I realized Ninomiya is not gorgeous enough to be Yamada Taro. But he managed to build-up his OWN Yamada Taro character, which got the point of the character, across. Just MHO though^^
But yeah, I guess Nino's smile is not actually a million dollar-worth smile hehe They should've work it out more on that part with effects x)

It's a live-action DRAMA, so I don't mind if they adapt the manga, to a semi-realistic story.

But its only the first episode, I hope they fix the flaws in further episodes.

Wow! 17.4%!!! I expected 16-ish!! YamaTaro original manga was not really popular, desho? Sugoi!

We didn't get to see much of Mimura on first ep, but I wonder will Sakurai Sho's portrayal of Mimura Takuya, stick to the manga? Or deviates like Yamada Taro's?? Looking forward to see more of Mimura's character.
ainangst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yanie_chan wrote:

Haha... FINALLY, the first negative comments on the drama. Had been expecting this^^ Thanks!!

I realized Ninomiya is not gorgeous enough to be Yamada Taro. But he managed to build-up his OWN Yamada Taro character, which got the point of the character, across. Just MHO though^^
But yeah, I guess Nino's smile is not actually a million dollar-worth smile hehe They should've work it out more on that part with effects x)

It's a live-action DRAMA, so I don't mind if they adapt the manga, to a semi-realistic story.

But its only the first episode, I hope they fix the flaws in further episodes.

Wow! 17.4%!!! I expected 16-ish!! YamaTaro original manga was not really popular, desho? Sugoi!

We didn't get to see much of Mimura on first ep, but I wonder will Sakurai Sho's portrayal of Mimura Takuya, stick to the manga? Or deviates like Yamada Taro's?? Looking forward to see more of Mimura's character.

Yup,absolutely agree on Ninomiya creating his own version of Taro but still getting the essence of the manga version. Taro in the manga is absolutely gorgeous with dazzling smile. Nino is just a normal looking boy/man. (which just make the casting choice more interesting. Are they saying beauty is only skin deep?) He can't pull off the smile but made up with that innocent puppy eyes that's just shines through your heart making it melt into a puddle of gooey love... i'm exagerrating :p, but yes. It did made Tabe-chan go doki-doki, smiled endlessly & blushing red when she starred into those brown eyes. (Its in the NG scenes from the making).
Ok.. maybe only females can detect his subtle charm because under the messy hair (the hairstyle is kinda messy imo) the gentle, kindhearted oojisama did shone through.
There's no need for effects added on the not so dazzling smile. It will just enhance the fact that Nino has nicotine stained gums. Beaten Beaten Beaten
Just remember to concentrate on the brown puppy eyes.

However, Mimura Takuya is just absolutely ... RIGHT (biased!!!! Smitten)

Tabe-chan is really cute too.. as long as she stays far away from Sho as possible...

I'm not a fan of the manga so a more realistic approach is fine by me.

JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON!

I can't wait for the 2nd episode! The trailer look soooo enticing Naughty

I'm positive the ratings will increase. Mr Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
oceansportrait

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've watched the first episode of this, and I'm disappointed as well, considering how I'm a huge fan of Morinaga Ai (the mangaka who created "Yamada Tarou Monogatari"). First of all...the two leads simply aren't cut out for this story. Ninomiya CAN act (as he's proven in numerous dramas in the past) but Yamada's NOT him. The character's supposed to be the "perfect" human being (to outsiders ^^). He's supposed to have the looks, the personality, the brains...I know this might sound like I'm concentrating on his looks only, but Ninomiya's not good looking enough to be Yamada. I can't imagine his smile ever inducing any fainting from random girls ^^ I did however like the chemistry Ninomiya had with his "siblings".

I think it was a mistake though to cast two male leads. This drama's supposed to be YAMADA TAROU MONOGATARI....NOT YAMADA TAROU AND MIMURA TAKUYA MONOGATARI. I don't know about other works Sakurai Sho's starred in, but he's utterly unconvincing as Mimura here. His acting's too dramatic and he never makes me believe that he IS Mimura. He doesn't even have the acting chops Ninomiya has, so he's even more of a lost cause than him.

The scene where everyone's in the auditorium and Yamada and Mimura go up to play the piano/lead the orchestra was ridiculous. Yamada looked like a little boy drowning in his school uniform. And Mimura looked like he was playing a toy piano. [/i]
ojouprincess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oceansportrait wrote:
I know this might sound like I'm concentrating on his looks only, but Ninomiya's not good looking enough to be Yamada. I can't imagine his smile ever inducing any fainting from random girls ^^

I can't relate to this because I love nino and I think he's good looking enough. *faints*
SaPpHire_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oceansportrait wrote:
I can't imagine his smile ever inducing any fainting from random girls ^^

I would (but only when his black gum is not showing) Beaten
And he do have that puppy eyes (I'm not biased)

As for Sho, ermm.... he looked good. Acting is so-so but I don't care Bonk
hero too good!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yea i watched the first eps it was good w00t!
i wonder wat will happen later on...!!!!!!
one thing is that they r so old!shou:25years,ninno:24years!
they r like around like 7~8 years different for being a high schooler!
but i guess it doesnt matter for jhonnys...yea.
Applaud
zhirong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just finished Ep01

oceansportrait

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ojouprincess wrote:

I can't relate to this because I love nino and I think he's good looking enough. *faints*

Are you saying that because he's in Arashi though? Because I know if he was just another guy walking down the street with no celebrity status attached to him, I wouldn't give a second glance. He does have a cuteness to him, but he's not the drop-dead-gorgeous looking man Tarou's supposed to be.
ainangst

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oceansportrait wrote:

Are you saying that because he's in Arashi though? Because I know if he was just another guy walking down the street with no celebrity status attached to him, I wouldn't give a second glance. He does have a cuteness to him, but he's not the drop-dead-gorgeous looking man Tarou's supposed to be.

ah.. sorry to cut in the convo..

if he's just a normal guy walking down the street I wouldn't even give him a second glance. He slouches, a bit short & look cold.

But if he so happen to look me right in the eye & smile sweetly.. I won't swoon, but definitely will surrender my bento...or say yes to anything that he asked for. Such lovely eyes...

Its true Nino didn't fit Taro traits physically. Short & not drop dead gorgeous. I was worried when they announced he's going to be Taro and even thought it was a bad casting choice. Maybe the TBS team are Arashi fans & knew the fact that Nino is really a penny pinching scrooge, excellent in sports, charming, good with kids, & an intelligent young guy. They seem to ignore his appearence & go for his real personality. Even Arashi fans voiced their doubts but quickly brush it off because they believe in his acting ability.

Its a risky choice to pick Nino as Taro because they can't prevent from straying away from the original manga concept. I guess they are taking a whole different approach for the live action drama. They're sticking with the Ninomiya version of Taro. Maybe they just want to cash in Arashi popularity... who cares (TAKE MY MONEY! GIMME THE DVD!).

I'm glad I'm not a YamaTaro manga fan because I truly enjoy this series as it is.

After watching it several times I have to say, Nino didn't get the prince like quality right just YET. He didn't look rich enough. He must loose the nicotine gums smirk, stand straighter & stop squeeking. However, emotionally, he gets it just right.

Mimura on the other hand... Smitten a bit stiff..
..but you can't deny the Bochama aura that he exudes. He's the REAL prince alright.

HOWEVER..

I kept referring the leads as Nino & Sho instead of Taro & Takuya. Its kinda disturbing because I usually forget their real personality but focused on the characters itself from previous dramas they'd done. Bambii (KCE), Takemoto (H&C), Takuro(Yasashii), Ippei(Haikei) are different from Sakurai & Ninomiya. I have to keep reminding myself they are Takuya & Taro.
yanie_chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ainangst wrote:
if he's just a normal guy walking down the street I wouldn't even give him a second glance. He slouches, a bit short & look cold.

haha, yeah... I second this.

ainangst wrote:
Mimura on the other hand... Smitten a bit stiff..
..but you can't deny the Bochama aura that he exudes. He's the REAL prince alright.

Hmm... though Sho is my favorite in Arashi, I've never been impressed with his acting ability. His acting is just so-so, don't you think? But then again, I've only watched YoiKo, Kisarazu 1st movie and Hachikuro (also the Pikanchi movies). None of these, had him as characters/roles that really test/demand his acting skill to the max. Oh wait, his crazy laugh in Miracle World was pretty good, though^^

I'm impressed with him as a news anchor, and his leadership, but not yet...his acting. I wonder if Mimura Takuya is good enough to test his acting? He did say, that he's being careful not to make Mimura looked too cold...he wants to make the character looks cold in the beginning, but actually a warm person by heart (later).

ainangst wrote:
I kept referring the leads as Nino & Sho instead of Taro & Takuya. Its kinda disturbing because I usually forget their real personality but focused on the characters itself from previous dramas they'd done. Bambii (KCE), Takemoto (H&C), Takuro(Yasashii), Ippei(Haikei) are different from Sakurai & Ninomiya. I have to keep reminding myself they are Takuya & Taro.

Haha... shouganai desu nee... Both are ARASHI members, dakara...you tend to see them as ARASHI, not as Takuya-Taro x) It'll take some time b4 we can see them blending as the characters in the story^^
ojouprincess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oceansportrait wrote:

for me, he's definitely swoon worthy... and not just because he's from arashi... i think nino carries yamada's character well... i have no problems with him being cast as a drop-dead gorgeous guy... just my opinion.
Orion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

may i ask where can i get ep 1 soft sub or maybe hardsub????
thx you
Mikari

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Orion wrote:
may i ask where can i get ep 1 soft sub or maybe hardsub????
thx you

d-addicts or arashi.vox
Orion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thank you Mr Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: