jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralphm1999

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: supporting characters Reply with quote Back to top

harriet wrote:
I forgot to say one thing about supporting characters, after reading the mini-treatise posted by Ralph.

I always thought it was obvious that because the dorama format is usually 10, 11, or 12 episodes, a lot of the supporting cast is thrown in to flesh out all those hours of storyline. To be crass and cynical about it, a lot of it is "filler."

Sometimes it's done well, and sometimes those ancillary storylines are a bit frayed around the edges.

That's the point I was making. In a 12 episode drama you cannot prolong the solo scenes between the two lead actors for such a long duration. So the supporting cast are absolutely necessary to flesh out 12 episodes.
Bang Head
ralphm1999

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose the point is moot. No director, writer, producer would ever make a 12 episode drama with just 2 people, no supporting cast, no extras.
Only on Broadway do you have the occsional play with one actor but that is limited to 3 hours. The audience would be paralyzed after 12 hours.
bleh
Wynter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cori wrote:
I just started Kekkon Dekinai Otoko the other day so I'm only on the 2nd or 3rd episode. It's a bit slow, but I like it so far. I really had to laugh in the first episode when....

Click on button to reveal/hide spoiler:

LOL! That's my fav scene. Wink

ralphm1999 wrote:
I suppose the point is moot. No director, writer, producer would ever make a 12 episode drama with just 2 people, no supporting cast, no extras.
Only on Broadway do you have the occsional play with one actor but that is limited to 3 hours. The audience would be paralyzed after 12 hours.
bleh

But that's not what the discussion is about. It's not whether the drama would hold with ONLY two characters, because obviously it wouldn't and we've yet to see a drama with just two characters. The discussion is about the IMPORTANCE of certain characters over others. I agree completely with shin2. Although every character (major and minor) holds an element of importance, there is always the central character that reigns above the rest, and everyone else becomes secondary. The reason why this drama is so grand is because each character is given importance. Not one person is useless or "just there". At the same time, the minor characters are despensible (as in the plot could still work), whereas Abe's character and Natsukawa's character are both indespensible. Without them, there is no story.

Of course, we all have our biases and we're all fans of a particular actress and actor, but as shin2 said, if you think objectively, opinions change. I love Ryoko-chan, but if another actress played her role, would I be as adamant that her character is ever important? Certainly not.

@Ralph: Your great granddaughter in Hariet's ava is abosolutely delicious! >>gushes<<

Wanna trade? My Drama List (UPDATED: July, 2013)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This discussion reminds of high school English Lit. class. People would get into heated discussions about whatever we were reading and what the author "really meant" And the teacher would ask me, "What do you think, Mark?" and I'd answer, "It was o.k., I liked it" The teacher would do this: Shake Head and I'd get a C-
bmwracer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
This discussion reminds of high school English Lit. class. People would get into heated discussions about whatever we were reading and what the author "really meant" And the teacher would ask me, "What do you think, Mark?" and I'd answer, "It was o.k., I liked it" The teacher would do this: Shake Head and I'd get a C-

LOL. lol

We must've been classmates: I got the same C-. Beaten hehe
ralphm1999

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wynter wrote:

@Ralph: Your great granddaughter in Hariet's ava is abosolutely delicious! >>gushes<<

Arigatou Gozaimasu
Did you notice the resemblance?
yippee yippee
Wynter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:

Wow, she was very forgiving.

bmwracer wrote:

LOL. lol

We must've been classmates: I got the same C-. Beaten hehe

LOL! I'm surprised, considering you like to voice your likes and dislikes. Bleah

@Ralph: I honestly did notice! She's a spitting image for her great grandfather. Mr Green

Wanna trade? My Drama List (UPDATED: July, 2013)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wynter wrote:
Wow, she was very forgiving.

They would make allowances because I'm "special" Nut
bmwracer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wynter wrote:
LOL! I'm surprised, considering you like to voice your likes and dislikes. Bleah

Thing is, I hated reading that stuff, and my comprehension was near-zero. Beaten
theanonymousafro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thought I posted here before but seems I didn't. Must say a great show! Abe rocked yet again with a great character.
Also as a guy who doesn't care much for romance I was surprised to see I thought about who he would end up with! I actually wondered about if he dated one of the "other" main girls! They must have really got me into the story.
sadacori

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I finished the drama a few hours ago. Here's my lame review which I'll probably edit later on:

This drama is about Kuwano, a self-centered, eccentric architect who has borderline OCD and lack of people skills. His frequent encounters with his next door neighbor, a female doctor, and co-workers help pave way to make him more sensitive to the people around him and become more "human."

I really enjoyed that this drama was more laid-back than other comedies. It wasn't flashy, it wasn't trying too hard, it was simply just a drama depicting someone's life and the scatters of humor that came with it. There little moments that almost seemed "Groundhog Day"-like (the bar scenes with a rival architect, his konbini and video store trips; his growing affection for Ken, the neighbor's dog), yet it made me laugh.

Click on button to reveal/hide spoiler:
Perfect ending to a wonderfully simple drama.

Currently watching: Netflix stuff
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cori wrote:
I finished the drama a few hours ago. Here's my lame review
    It's not lame, it's concise. Applaud There's a difference.
Keps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad you enjoyed this wonderful drama so much, Cori. Victory! Peace!
You wrote a great assessment of it, imo.

Guys, do you think there could be a good follow-up to this series? (As far as I know, there's not going to be one). I'm curious as to what you all think. Big Grin
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Keps wrote:

Guys, do you think there could be a good follow-up to this series? (As far as I know, there's not going to be one). I'm curious as to what you all think. Big Grin
    Honestly, I don't see how. The only question left to resolve is "Will they or won't they?" and I think it's better that it's left up in the air like it is now. This drama is kind of like "Long Vacation" a sequel would only be a let down, IMHO.
theanonymousafro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
    Honestly, I don't see how. The only question left to resolve is "Will they or won't they?" and I think it's better that it's left up in the air like it is now. This drama is kind of like "Long Vacation" a sequel would only be a let down, IMHO.

I agree don't see how they could without some character alterations. Which would ruin the charm.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My niece is currently watching this drama... And struggling through it quite a bit. Sweat
Enna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
My niece is currently watching this drama... And struggling through it quite a bit. Sweat

Too slow paced for her? Confused Just tell her to focus on Abe Hiroshi's dreamy eyes and the episodes will fly by. In love Or Ken-chan's dreamy puppydog eyes. hehe
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Enna wrote:
Or Ken-chan's dreamy puppydog eyes. hehe

She's like her uncle: she thinks real dogs have snouts and are larger than cats. Beaten
Enna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

She's like her uncle: she thinks real dogs have snouts and are larger than cats. Beaten

Aaah how could you not love Ken-chan? Puppy Dog Eyes He was so funny looking he was cute. Bleah
theanonymousafro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Really? How far through have you gone so far?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: