jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
J-Dramas that you didn't like at first, but...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takoyama

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would say "Kekkon Dekinai Otoko". I didn't find this too interesting at first so I stopped watching. I later watched it and grew fond of it especially Kuwano's scenes with his next door neighbor's dog Ken. Good stuff!
xploring

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Takoyama wrote:
I would say "Kekkon Dekinai Otoko". I didn't find this too interesting at first so I stopped watching. I later watched it and grew fond of it especially Kuwano's scenes with his next door neighbor's dog Ken. Good stuff!

Yeah, I found it to be pretty ordinary at the beginning, couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Only kept watching because I didn't have anything else in mind at the time. It turned out to be surprisingly amusing and engaging. Though I still don't understand why so many people would recommend it time and again.

Another one may be Ai Nante Irane Yo, Natsu. I didn't like it all that much at first, probably only the cliffhanger ending each episode kept me watching. By episode 4, I thought it was going to be one of those depressingly cliche terminal illness dramas. Out of curiosity, I watched the ending and then went back and watched the other episodes one by one to see how the story unfolds. Like it quite a lot after I finished.
spaceboydream

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

nodame cantabile

i'd have to go with nodame too. having not being used to manga/anime/wtv-to-drama transitions, all the special effects and weird scenarios made me go wtf, especially the chibi-chiaki and his idol-sensei interactions.

i was gonna drop the series after the 1st (or 2nd) episode. but all the excitement and good reviews for this drama must've mean something. so i continued watching and it turns out the reviews were right. even the SPs were amazing and not just re-caps of what happened in the series before.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

spaceboydream wrote:
nodame cantabile

i'd have to go with nodame too. having not being used to manga/anime/wtv-to-drama transitions, all the special effects and weird scenarios made me go wtf, especially the chibi-chiaki and his idol-sensei interactions.

i was gonna drop the series after the 1st (or 2nd) episode. but all the excitement and good reviews for this drama must've mean something. so i continued watching and it turns out the reviews were right. even the SPs were amazing and not just re-caps of what happened in the series before.

Not to continually toot the Nodame horn, but that drama and SP clearly shows what a good, er, great production staff can do: the drama was solid from top to bottom. Applaud
phlargo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Not to continually toot the Nodame horn, but that drama and SP clearly shows what a good, er, great production staff can do: the drama was solid from top to bottom. Applaud

Even though I'm a huge Nodame fan, I'm going to have to agree here: The first episode was only good if you watched the whole thing. The second and third episodes were really only "good".

The fourth episode, however, was sublime. It insured that I'd be glued to everything that followed. Still may be my top Jdrama episode to date.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

phlargo wrote:
Even though I'm a huge Nodame fan, I'm going to have to agree here: The first episode was only good if you watched the whole thing. The second and third episodes were really only "good".

The fourth episode, however, was sublime. It insured that I'd be glued to everything that followed. Still may be my top Jdrama episode to date.

Well, dramas should be judged en toto, not by individual episodes... True, some episodes stand out more than others, but it's the sum of all the parts that makes it great.
Tenshigure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Well, dramas should be judged en toto, not by individual episodes... True, some episodes stand out more than others, but it's the sum of all the parts that makes it great.

While true, it's always great to see shows use their time wisely and not have a bad episode in the entirety. While I'd agree at this point that Nodame probably had that cohesiveness down, you can point weak episodes (primarily ending or lead-up episodes to the ending) as a linchpin of what the difference between a Great Show that turns sour (SP comes to mind) versus a Slow-starting show that becomes amazing in the end (Odoru Daisousasen).

I guess in short: writers should use filler episodes to get the gaps that the minor stories need for closure, not recap what the audience already knows!
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tenshigure wrote:
I guess in short: writers should use filler episodes to get the gaps that the minor stories need for closure, not recap what the audience already knows!

Yes.

Especially for an SP. Grumble

That's unconscionable.
Tenshigure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Yes.

Especially for an SP. Grumble

That's unconscionable.

ESPECIALLY when it's taking up time for potential SPs for other works that DESERVE it (My Boss, My Hero comes to mind, the ending was begging for it!).
adylma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I see that many of you vote for Nodame. But I actually liked the beginning as well. I didn't think it had a slow start. In fact, I think this drama was great from the first minute!
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

adylma wrote:
I see that many of you vote for Nodame. But I actually liked the beginning as well. I didn't think it had a slow start. In fact, I think this drama was great from the first minute!

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with it, especially after the first "Heeeeeeee......" Beaten Victory! Peace!
Wynter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

adylma wrote:

Yea, I agree. I was instantly hooked, as well. Smile

Wanna trade? My Drama List (UPDATED: July, 2013)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know what prompted me to watch it since SMAP guy was in it, but I was pleasantly surprised with Koi ni Ochitara... Victory! Peace!

I thought his character would be like the roles his SMAP cohort, Kimutaku, always plays (a rogue with a heart of gold), but the character was quite affable and humble...

And the entire cast was really good... Recommended viewing. Smile
Eyeyore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kimi ga oshietekureta koto
�N�������Ă��ꂽ����
- dunno why i like it, no favourite artistes in the drama but i like it......

Love Story
(starring Miho Nakayama, Toyokawa Etsushi)
- it hasn't got my favourite artistes, story was draggy BUT the script has many memorable lines like, " If sensei is Nobita, I will be your Doraemon" (if someone says this to me, i would melt into a puddle)

Pure
(starring Tsutsumi Shinichi and Wakui Emi )
- dunno why I like the story. Back then, they don't even look compatible actually. They looked much compatible in Koi no Ochitara.

Koshonin
Not a great fan of hers. I find Ep 1 boring. Started to watch it backwards and found out, hmmmmm, not bad....quite exciting.

Dream Again
The baseball theme was a put off for men but the relationship betweeen Sorimachi and his daughter was quite refreshing.....much better than Hotman.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eyeyore wrote:
Koshonin
Not a great fan of hers. I find Ep 1 boring. Started to watch it backwards and found out, hmmmmm, not bad....quite exciting.

Watch it backwards?? Head Scratch

When you do that, do you hear the message "Paul is dead?" Beaten
Kijinnmaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

adylma wrote:

As did I, but I can definitely see where others are coming from. Nodame is anything but "conventional".
Mint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Takoyama wrote:

I just finished watching this and I agree to a certain extent. I thought the first few episodes felt a bit forced especially when it comes to emphasizing Kuwano-san's idiosyncrasies. But as the story progressed, I became more and more engrossed especially by the 8th episode. It's quite an endearing show, overall...I'd give it an 8/10.
lora_samonte1o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yukan Club w00t!

i have seen and read its title for at least 3x but didn't really try to watch it at first. i thought that its boring and the casts aren't that good. but when i gave it a try. it was awesome! and i fell in love with akanishi jin! Dancing he was really good and soooo cute. i love him. i totally recommend it to all of you. i hope that Akanishi Jin will make another dorama that is as good as yukan club Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: