jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Shinsengumi! (2004 NHK Taiga)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dochira

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijin mark wrote:
I'm guessing doch had a heavy load of curry for lunch Shake Head

I wish.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ever think about using the search engine or noticing that there's already a Shinsengumi thread in existence???? Grumble

Locking.
Pinoyboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Apology Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone
I would like to make a sincere apology to those I may have offended over the Shinsengumi matter. I didn't know anything about "threads" or whatever you call it. I just got internet service, my knowledge of computers isn't that intellegent as the average websurfer. The thing is though is that I LOVED Shinsengumi and I want it on DVD with Region 1 format. If anyone has wrote a similar post, then I'm sorry. I really didn't know. After the Shinsengumi-Faithful read my apology post, I hope you all will continue to support not just me but the manufacturors who produce the Shinsengumi DVD's. I say again, I'm sorry and I apologize deeply for offending anyone.

Shameful Cry Pinoyboy
thebazel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The internet is SERIOUSBUSINESS Nut
ladyusagi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wow, never noticed this thread. i've sorta forgotten shinsengumi for a while. i've watched it all and now it's at the bottom of my desk somewhere. it was a good taiga drama. it didn't bore me and it was pretty funny but i guess that sometimes it was a little slap-stickish in the beginning. when i saw it, i didn't know WHO shingo was so i didn't watch it for him obviously. i even thought that he looked like he was constipated in the beginning. lol.i didn't even know that odagiri joe would appear in it but it was a nice surprise. i was honestly just drawn in by the story.

now that i've read through this thread, i realize that there were actually different versions uploaded so i want to ask, which version was better?

for some smap fangirling
bmwracer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No offense taken.

We'd just like it if people would read the posting guidelines here before going off into a posting frenzy... Smile
jiroca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: question Reply with quote Back to top

I am looking to buy taiga drama "shinsengumi" dvd with english subtitle.
please advice, where i can get it. i found out it at ebay, but it too expensive.... thank you very much.
xploring

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote Back to top

jiroca wrote:
I am looking to buy taiga drama "shinsengumi" dvd with english subtitle.
please advice, where i can get it. i found out it at ebay, but it too expensive.... thank you very much.

Someone showed me this site
http://animedivxonline.com/digisub3.html
Prices are quite reasonable I think.
Wynter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, so I'm completely ignorant and need some help.

I'm watching this drama, I need to figure out what's happening.

So there's the Emperor, and the Shogun. The Shogun is... the army? Or like the military that has a lot of power, I'm assuming.

The Emperor was against opening Japan's doors to foreigners... but the Shogun wasn't, and supported the door opening concept.

The Shinsengumi, then, was created to enforce the Shogun's plans? They wanted the doors to be open and therefore went against the Emperor's wishes...

I'm only on episode 4 of the TV series, but I wanted to make sure I had things straight before continuing, since it IS a historical drama. lol

Wanna trade? My Drama List (UPDATED: July, 2013)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Anime Dad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wynter wrote:

So there's the Emperor, and the Shogun. The Shogun is... the army? Or like the military that has a lot of power, I'm assuming.

The Emperor was against opening Japan's doors to foreigners... but the Shogun wasn't, and supported the door opening concept.

The Shinsengumi, then, was created to enforce the Shogun's plans? They wanted the doors to be open and therefore went against the Emperor's wishes...

I'm only on episode 4 of the TV series, but I wanted to make sure I had things straight before continuing, since it IS a historical drama. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinsengumi

After reading your post and some of that, it appears that Atsu-hime is set in an identical period. So you'll know all about it when you get to Atsu-hime Smile
marspeach

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wynter wrote:

Long story short- The Tokugawa period (also called Edo, for the military capitol, now Tokyo) was when Japan was under the military rule of the Tokugawa family. The rulers were called shoguns. Japan still had an emperor in the imperial capital of Kyoto, but he didn't do anything. Pretty much like today.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

marspeach wrote:

Long story short- The Tokugawa period (also called Edo, for the military capitol, now Tokyo) was when Japan was under the military rule of the Tokugawa family. The rulers were called shoguns. Japan still had an emperor in the imperial capital of Kyoto, but he didn't do anything. Pretty much like today.

Ohhhhhhh okay. That makes sense. I was wondering why the Shogun had power even with an Emperor. I see I see.

Thank you!

Btw, I'm really enjoying Shinsengumi. I don't know if it's because I just started, or because I don't have the historical knowledge to back it up, but I'm not hating it as much as people said I would. Victory! Peace!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wynter wrote:

Btw, I'm really enjoying Shinsengumi. I don't know if it's because I just started, or because I don't have the historical knowledge to back it up, but I'm not hating it as much as people said I would. Victory! Peace!
    That's cool Sensei. I always looked at Shinsengumi as being kind of like a John Wayne movie. They use all the correct names and places, but they don't follow the historical facts real close. And as far as just entertainment, I liked it. The biggest gripe I had was showing them as these kind of happy warriors. The real Shinsengumi were NOT nice people.
    Edit: That's the good part of Taiga's is you have such a huge cast there's bound to be some really good actors in there. You already mentioned Yoko Nogiwa, but you've got Ken Ishiguro, Fumiyo Kohinata, Odagiri Joe lots of others. Probably my favorite in the whole drama is Sawa Suzuki as Yamanami's girlfriend. I think she shows up somewhere in the late 20's episodes. She's only in it for a few episodes but she was real good. Applaud
    AD wrote
    Quote:
    it appears that Atsu-hime is set in an identical period
    Yeah, these two cover roughly the same time frame. All the events depicted in both lead up to what they call the Meiji Restoration when the emperor took power back from the shoguns.

Last edited by gaijinmark on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
WD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well as the story progresses, you'll find out that the Shinsengumi people will become NOT nice later...

colorbar credits to nannandesuka@LJ
Wynter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Edit: That's the good part of Taiga's is you have such a huge cast there's bound to be some really good actors in there. You already mentioned Yoko Nogiwa, but you've got Ken Ishiguro, Fumiyo Kohinata, Odagiri Joe lots of others. Probably my favorite in the whole drama is Sawa Suzuki as Yamanami's girlfriend. I think she shows up somewhere in the late 20's episodes. She's only in it for a few episodes but she was real good.. [/list]

O definitely!

I've got a few glances of Odagiri Joe, whom I'm a huge fan of, as well as Tanaka Kunie and Ishiguro Ken. Eguchi Yosuke is hilarious, and it helps that his hair isn't getting in the way. lol

I can't wait to stumble on a few other familiar faces I recognize in the cast.

shin2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Edit: That's the good part of Taiga's is you have such a huge cast there's bound to be some really good actors in there. You already mentioned Yoko Nogiwa, but you've got Ken Ishiguro, Fumiyo Kohinata, Odagiri Joe lots of others.

Yasuko Sawaguchi
sadacori

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Fumiyo Kohinata

I think I'm going to have to find this drama... Beaten

Currently watching: Netflix stuff
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sadacori wrote:

I think I'm going to have to find this drama... Beaten
    He's also in last years taiga Fuurin Kazan http://jdorama.com/drama.1050.htm But IIRC he has a pretty minor role in both. I doubt if he's in 10 episodes of each one.
Geezer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wynter,

The Shinsengumi were at times, The Emperor's Bodyguards, A Death Squad, Vigalantes, The Shogun's bully boys... They were a bunch of poor, small time, country Samurai who came to the big city, looking to make some money, and hoping for the chance to be "real" Samurai, after 250 years of peace.

In one of the most turbulent periods of Japanese history, they were a ping pong ball bobbing and floating on the surface of the ocean during a gale.

From one day to the next they never really knew who's side they were on... because no one really knew what was going on.

The reason I didn't think much of the series was the spin the writers and producers decided to take with it. They wanted to make it sort of a happy go lucky Three Musketeers cum Tragic Hero saga.

Whereas the Shinsengumi were basically a Death Squad. It was a bit too large a step for me.

But the show did have a pistol of a cast.
Kijinnmaru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wynter wrote:

Just to add to what's been already mentioned, the Shogunate was actually also against opening Japan to foreigners; they just knew it was impossible to do that, unlike the emperor who never left his palace. The intent of allowing it was to modernize until they could force foreign powers out. The opposing factions used that as an excuse to illegitimize the Shogunate for their own power grab(while dealing with foreign powers themselves).

My feelings for the show are similar to Geezer's, but I also found it to be written as an obvious vehicle for the lead actor, Shingo, who is quite possibly one of the worst actors the entertainment world has ever crapped out. The blatantness of that just made it painful to watch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: