jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Manhattan Love Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eien Bussan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Manhattan Love Story Reply with quote Back to top

Manhattan Love Story is the best drama this season! After yesterday's episode, I'm totally owned!! Oh man...it was so awesome...and full of surprises! I really don't want to reveal too much because it will ruin it for those who haven't seen it, but I literally had to stop the video just 10 minutes into the show in order to regain my calm after laughing so hard. The writer, Kudo Kankuro, never fails to amaze me.

All Tsukamoto Takashi fans MUST see this drama! His character is in a visual-kei band called "Shonen Rentogen" (X-Ray Boys), and their concept is "bishounens that have gone through scientific experiments." Nut Tsukamoto looked dang freaky in his goth-like makeup but it was hilarious! Matsuoka also got to show off his mad drummer skills when he had a little guest appearance during a Shonen Rentogen concert. LOL

It's a real shame that Shiroi Kyotou, this season's highest rated drama, airs at the same time as Manhattan. The 92% of Japan that hasn't been watching Manhattan don't know what they're missing out on! Man...why did they have to air these two dramas at the same time?! I wanna see both! I have no regrets about choosing Manhattan over Shiroi Kyotou, though! Is there anyone else that looks forward to next Thursday like I do??

Next week's episode focuses on "G" Shinobu (Tsukamoto) and "H" Tenchou (Mabo)...in the previews, they looked like they were about to kiss!! Ehhhh?? honto ni shichau no?! Google I can't wait! Big Grin
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

iina.. you get to watch.. i'm definitely going to get it once it's out.. thanks for the recommendation though.. Mr Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kndy-nt2099

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: [article] Love Manhattan No. 1 drama last season? Reply with quote Back to top

I have found it interesting that Matsuoka Masahiro's low rated drama was voted #1 drama by Za Terebijon magazine and also won many other awards. But then again, you can never doubt the voting power of the Johnny's Jimusho fans.

Anyway, here is a Daily Yomiuri article today by wm. penn showing off her surprise by the magazine's votes.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20040205woad.htm

kndy
arashinokoto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

what..?!?! i'm shocked.. didn't expect to get [the best] but great for mabo and tsukamoto takashi..!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
eien Bussan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Manhattan definitely didn't win because "Johnnys Fans" voted (Matsuoka isn't THAT popular, anyway). Za Television awards are chosen by a judge pannel consisting of staff and critics from television-related magazines; they are not based on votes from the magazine's readers (there's a separate category for this, in which Manhattan also did well in).

I personally thought Manhattan was brilliant, just like the rest of Kudo Kankuro's past work. It was the only drama from last season that I throughly enjoyed and watched from beginning to end without getting fed up or bored.

It seems like Penn isn't a fan of any of Kudo Kankuro's dramas so it's no surprise that he/she doesn't understand...I personally feel that Penn seriously lacks a sense of humor...lol
kndy-nt2099

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eien Bussan wrote:
It seems like Penn isn't a fan of any of Kudo Kankuro's dramas so it's no surprise that he/she doesn't understand...I personally feel that Penn seriously lacks a sense of humor...lol

I think Penn was critical because of the drama's rating performance (which was low) and it winning many of the awards. Truthfully, I don't really remember dramas that scored under 10% being commended as with this case receiving top honors ala Za Television Magazine awards.

Personally, when I saw the first episode, I was really struck by Kyon-Kyon's performance. She really shined in this drama!

I was surprised about "Manhattan" winining the awards because for several months, all I heard from my Japanese friends were raves about "Shiroi Kyoto" or "Yanki Boko ni Kaeru".

As for Matsuoka, I still have not enjoyed much of his leading-role dramas since "Psychometrer Eiji".

kndy

Last edited by kndy-nt2099 on Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Akakage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eien Bussan wrote:

I agree with you..Penn never favours humorous drama. He even made bad reviews on Tomoya's new drama with Fukakyon also with that "Bewitched" Japanese version.

Since you said Manhattan is good..I'm gonna check on that one thx for sharing good drama.
kndy-nt2099

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Akakage wrote:
I agree with you..Penn never favours humorous drama. He even made bad reviews on Tomoya's new drama with Fukakyon also with that "Bewitched" Japanese version.

I'm just surprised that she gave all dramas starring a SMAP member this season favorable reviews. She usually disses them someway or other.

But if anything, I forgot to mention...before I used to be a drama watcher who would watch anything that the Japanese TV guide would say was "hot" or what was doing good on the ratings.

I've discovered so many cool dramas that I enjoyed from what people mentioned on here that didn't too well in the ratings but I enjoyed immensely.

Although, don't find me raving about the live version of "Sailor Moon" Rolling eyes

kndy
Akakage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Koi ga shitai, Koi ga Shitai, Koi ga Shitai" that's a good underrated drama..I enjoyed it a lot.
eien Bussan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I've learned over the years that ratings really don't mean much. Of course there's the big hits like "Long Vacation" that DO deserve high ratings, but there are also a lot of "cult classics" such as the first "Trick" series and "Kisarazu Cat's Eye" that are STILL talked about to this day, but didn't do well when first aired.

Unfortunately, most of Kudo Kankuro's works average in the 10% range or below, but he has a large following. Kisarazu had rather low ratings but as a result of word of mouth, it sold an unbelievably amount of DVD/videos, is constantly in the top 5 of video rental stores, and the movie was an unexpected big success (it's currently tied with Last Samurai on the Japanese Yahoo Movies site). I really wonder why more people don't watch his dramas, but I guess his storytelling is just too unique, and doesn't have mass appeal...which is ironic because people always complain about the "same old stuff on tv" yet that's all they choose to watch.

kndy, I agree with you about KyonKyon, I never thought of her as a good actress until I saw her as Akabane-san. She has successfully transform herself from a teen-idol to a full-blown actress...now only if she'd get the proper credit....

I was also surprised that Penn likes Pride, which was a disappointment to me, and I actually LIKE Kimura Takuya. Crazy
mizsymurda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

awww i really watch it!! cant somebody sub it in english !??! Shake Head Sad
effronterie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just ordered the DVDs of Manhattan Love Story really recently, and it's in transit to me right now. If any group is interested in subbing this project, I would be happy to send you the raws Smile
ppx040481

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: thanks for the recommendation Reply with quote Back to top

hi eien Bussan,

thanks for your recommendation...cant wait to get the vcd myself and watch it...pls continue to recommend good doramas to dorama-lovers like me
Mr Green
runpup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The complete drama hardsubbed now available at d-addicts...

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_77934.htm

The Cutest Girl in the World!

Last edited by runpup on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

runpup wrote:
The complete drama with hardsubs now available at d-addicts...

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_77934.htm

Wow, after all these years? Sweat
hitomi #1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

arashinokoto wrote:
iina.. you get to watch.. i'm definitely going to get it once it's out.. thanks for the recommendation though.. Mr Green

Glad to see a thread for this, Applaud so under rated, he was right with his review, do yourself a favor and watch this, so enjoyable! w00t!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Discussions on Japanese Dramas All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: