jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Movies! Movies! Movies! (Non-Japanese)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 249, 250, 251  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Amazing Spider-Man: Movie, Starring Andrew Garfield, Name Announced

Spider-Man's future gives a nod to its past.

Sony Pictures announced the title of the new Spider-Man movie today, revealing that the series reboot will be called "The Amazing Spider-Man." That's the name of the original comic book (well, after Spider-Man debuted in Amazing Fantasy #15), and it's appropriate, because the film will take viewers back to Peter Parker's early days as the wall crawler.

Andrew Garfield will play the geeky Parker and conflicted, guilt-ridden Spider-Man (whom he had to bulk up to portray), while Emma Stone will play Gwen Stacey, his high school girlfriend (before he dated the iconic Mary Jane). The film is being directed by Marc Webb. Shooting has already begun.

The full release is below, followed by a new image released by the studio (geek note: you may notice on Spider-Man's wrists that he is wearing mechanical web shooters, as he wears in the comics; in the last round of movies, he was portrayed as naturally shooting web from his own wrists):

xploring

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Went to see 127 Hours tonight. Really impressive film making. I thought that a movie about a guy stuck with a rock could be a bit boring at times, but it kept me glued throughout. Flashbacks, imaginations, and recordings were used in short bursts, left me thinking and wishing to learn more. Great soundtrack too. Incredible how he managed to survive and escape.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ Yeah, what he had to do to get out from there took a ton of guts... Makes me wonder if I could do something like that. Sweat
shin2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In the last couple of weeks, I've been watching a number of recently made Japanese films; unfortunately all have been disappointing. So to change my luck, I impulsively popped in a western that I hadn't seen in awhile--The Professionals, a 1966 film. A perfect nonpareil cast--Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Jack Palance, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode, Ralph Bellamy; great eye candy in Claudia Cardinale; a rousing score by Maurice Jarre; and an impeccable screenplay and direction by Richard Brooks. I love westerns, been a fan of that genre since I was a little kid, and The Professionals is among the best westerns ever made imo.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ Ever see the movie One, Two, Three with James Cagney and Horst Bucholz?

Gotta be one of my favorite Billy Wilder movies of all time. Victory! Peace!
shin2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
^ Ever see the movie One, Two, Three with James Cagney and Horst Bucholz?

Gotta be one of my favorite Billy Wilder movies of all time. Victory! Peace!

Is it a western? Head Scratch

Billy Wilder was a great filmmaker. Some Like It Hot has to be one of the best comedies ever made.

Re: Horst Bucholz--casting him as a Mexican in The Magnificent Seven was quite a stretch, to say the least (though not as much of a stretch as casting Mifune Toshiro as a Mexican in El Hombre Importante). Still, as a western and as a remake, Mag 7 was pretty damn good.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

shin2 wrote:
Is it a western? Head Scratch

Nope, it's a Cold War comedy...

Cagney is a head guy at a Coca-Cola bottling plant in Berlin (before the wall went up)... It was his last film performance (I don't count Ragtime) and it's terrific....

Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One,_Two,_Three
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

shin2 wrote:
I love westerns, been a fan of that genre since I was a little kid.

You've probably seen this one, my favorite western and the only movie directed by Brando, One Eyed Jacks:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055257/

Anybody heard when this one is getting released in the States: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092634/. John Cusack and Ken Watanabe, might be pretty good.
Wynter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Saw King's Speech last night. Great film! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews but I felt it was grand through and through. I think Colin Firth is my fav to win the oscar.

Still liked Black Swan better.

Gonna rent Social Network on my iPad tonight...

Wanna trade? My Drama List (UPDATED: July, 2013)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hitomi #1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Read the book 4 times, really is a modern day classic. Victory! Peace! Film version wasn't nearly as good, which was to be expected, but a real solid watch, 2nd half was especially good, Applaud filmed during the Winter in the exotic places of Denmark, Sweden and Greenland. Sweat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:

You've probably seen this one, my favorite western and the only movie directed by Brando, One Eyed Jacks:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055257/

I actually haven't seen this film. Not to sound sacrilegious but I'm not a big Brando fan. But I might try and watch this one. Looking at the cast, I see there's some really good supporting players: Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Katy Jurado, Elisha Cook.

Did a little research on the film. Stanley Kubrick was supposed to direct it, and Sam Peckingpah wrote the screenplay, but both ended up being fired by Brando.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ The biggest problem most people have with One Eyed Jacks is that it runs almost 2 and 1/2 hours which by today's standards is extremely long when everything comes in under two hours.

Sensei, been meaning to checkout The King's Speech, sounds like it's pretty good.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't know if I should post this under "Japanese Movies", or "Non-Japanese Movies". If we had a thread "Disaster in the making" I post it there. Anyway, here goes:

Sanada Hiroyuki, Shibasaki Kou join Keanu Reeves in "47 Ronin"

March 1, 2011

A press release from Universal Pictures has announced more details regarding director Carl Erik Rinsch�fs �g47 Ronin,�h which begins filming on March 14. In addition to lead actor Keanu Reeves, the cast will include four Japanese stars: Sanada Hiroyuki, Shibasaki Kou, Asano Tadanobu, and Kikuchi Rinko.

According to the press release, Reeves plays Kai, an outcast who joins the 47 Ronin, led by a samurai named Oishi (Sanada). Shibasaki plays Mika, the daughter of the clan�fs master and Kai�fs romantic interest. Asano has a villain role as Lord Kira, while Kikuchi plays the mysterious woman Mizuki who carries out his orders.

�g47 Ronin�h will be Shibasaki�fs first Hollywood movie. Practicing her English, she declared she was �gso excited!�h for the role.

The film is being shot in 3D for a November 11, 2012 release. Japanese news sources are reporting that the budget for the movie is $200 million.

Sources:
Collider
Eiga.com
Sankei Sports
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ Oh my..... This'll set back Japanese-American relations by a century or so. Sweat
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
^ Oh my..... This'll set back Japanese-American relations by a century or so. Sweat

It'll set back your eyeballs and ears even further back...
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
It'll set back your eyeballs and ears even further back...

And in 3D. Shake Head
Wynter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Sensei, been meaning to checkout The King's Speech, sounds like it's pretty good.

It's loads better than I thought it would be. I'm waiting to watch it again.

Social Network was a disappointment. I just couldn't get a taste for it...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

And in 3D. Shake Head

3D is essential for demonstrations of bushido. As told by Masamune many years ago...
Wynter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
(geek note: you may notice on Spider-Man's wrists that he is wearing mechanical web shooters, as he wears in the comics; in the last round of movies, he was portrayed as naturally shooting web from his own wrists):

Where's the small round disc in the palm of his hand? His famous hand pose is a result of him needing to press the small disc to release the web from the mechanism on his wrist!

ashamed

bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wynter wrote:
Where's the small round disc in the palm of his hand? His famous hand pose is a result of him needing to press the small disc to release the web from the mechanism on his wrist!

I'd think that would be under his glove, Wyn-chan, like in the comics. Mr Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 249, 250, 251  Next
Page 235 of 251

Jump to: