jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Super Sentai
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsmith10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Super Sentai Reply with quote Back to top

I couldn't find a Super Sentai topic in the search engine. Since Kamen Rider has its own topic and to avoid getting too off-topic with Ayumi's page, why not make a page on Super Sentai as a whole? So, who watches Sentai, and what are some of everyone's favorite seasons?
hitomi #1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad you started it, Applaud was thinking of doing it but too lazy. I've only watched about 4 current ones, say in the last 7 years, but have watched plenty of the older ones from the 60's and 70's, I'll do some posting of those coming up. Been wanting to watch Kamen Rider 555 for a while, whole series is set to watch, you may have given me the inspiration to watch it, perhaps within the hour. Sweat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^There are no Sentai's in the 60's. The first Sentai, or first series of the Super Sentai franchise was Goranger which began in 1975.

http://www.supersentai.com/database/index.html

What series have you watched so far? I've seen mostly everything from Timeranger to Goseiger (except Gaoranger and Abaranger), as well as a couple 90's Sentais, Jetman and Zyuranger.
hitomi #1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Before they became Sentai series, they were referred to as Tokusatsu, close to being like Sentais but not quite. Good examples of them are Ultraman, Iron King, Super Robot Red Baron, seen those, plus many others. From 1970-75 there were 47 of those series aired, just so difficult to find most of them, Shameful Cry surprisingly the ones I mentioned found at BB and they weren't too expensive. Seen Deka of course, Victory! Peace! plus Justirisers, about half of Engine Sentai Go-onger, one other one can't remember the name, gotta go look it up. Just started Kamen Rider 555 last night, up to episode 7, can zip thru them when they're only 24+ minutes a show. hehe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ I like Go-Onger. It's a bit childish but I think it's fun to watch. I like the characters, the soundtrack, and the personalities of their mecha's. I'm not really a fan of Kamen Rider. Haven't watched much of it except for a couple episodes of W which Ayumi guest starred in, and a couple episodes of Decade which had a crossover with Shinkenger, but that's about it.
hitomi #1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is the first Kamen Rider series I've watched, really watching it because of Yuria Haga, who was just so fantastic in the Shibuya 15 series.

Shibuya 15 was close to a kind of Sentai/Toku/Mecha series, had all those elements and always had articles in the Sentai mags during it's run, not sure if it qualifies as one but it did star in her first major role....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ It's close enough. It's based off a manga that was published by the same company that owns almost the entire Toku genre (TOEI) and it aired on the same tv station as both Kamen Rider and Sentai. I've seen part of a video review on Shibuya 15 and it does look interesting. With Gakki in it, I'll have to check it out sometime.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mrsmith10 wrote:
^There are no Sentai's in the 60's. The first Sentai, or first series of the Super Sentai franchise was Goranger which began in 1975.

http://www.supersentai.com/database/index.html

What series have you watched so far? I've seen mostly everything from Timeranger to Goseiger (except Gaoranger and Abaranger), as well as a couple 90's Sentais, Jetman and Zyuranger.

We are pretty similar ^^ I have watched everything from Timeranger to Shinkenger myself. I skipped on gaorangers because it didn't seem to appeal me even though I watched 30 episodes or so. Abaranger has great cast and all but somehow I never watched it even though I have both aba and gao fully subbed in my computer. Goseiger just seems lame to me because I don't quite like the red ranger there.

I also watched Jetman and Kakuranger (unsubbed, because I really love the white ranger there). I'm thinking of watching abarangers, I hope someone will sub gogo five and zyuranger since I really like them.

I don't really like Kamen Rider as well despite having watched about 20 episodes of it, it's not bad but guess I'm just a forever Super Sentai fanboy lol.
mrsmith10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've always been interested in Kakuranger, but for me the unsubbed seasons always end up taking a back seat to the ones with subs. Speaking of subs, I'm kinda afraid to watch Abaranger because I fear the Abaranger series will have terrible subs. I've seen the Abaranger vs Hurricanger team-up, and the subs for that team-up were atrocious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah they are HK subs, someone subbed them to Chinese, then someone subbed them from Chinese to english. The moves are wrong, names are partially wrong, it doesn't seem to have a "Japanese" feel into it. Gao has decent sub so maybe I'll watch it next. I really don't watch unsubbed sentais also, but I've been thinking to watch something soon to feed my addiction.
Also a note that this week's gokaiger (ep5) has been cancelled.. what a pity althought not a surprise and understandable. If it was cancelled due to some sport event I would be mad, but guess Japan has important things as priority. I was really looking forward for this week's Gokaiger though.
hitomi #1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looking for a few obscure ones, found one I think may be okay, downloaded 20 of the 51 episodes so far, from 1991-92 Chōjin Sentai Jetman.

This series takes place in 199X on the Earth Ship, the command center of an international defence agency called Sky Force, the guardians of peace on Earth. In the ship, scientists have developed "Birdonic Waves", a newly developed technology which gives the subject superhuman abilities. Experiments called "J-Project" were successful. Aya Odagiri, the director of the project, chooses five elite Sky Force officials from Earth to use this technology. Ryū Tendō, one of the Sky Force officers, is successfully exposed to the Birdonic Waves, making him the first Jetman, the Red Hawk.
However, the Earth Ship is suddenly attacked by Vyram, an evil outer-dimensional organization bent on inter-dimensional domination. They successfully destroy the ship, apparently killing Ryū's lover and fellow candidate member Rie. In the chaos, the remaining Birdonic Waves for the other four officials become scattered on Earth, hitting four civilians. Odagiri and Tendō successfully escape and begin searching on Earth for the four remaining Jetman, training them to aid them in stopping Vyram's plans of conquering their dimension

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jetman's pretty good. I've watched about half of it so far and am enjoying it. Jetman is one of the darker, more violent Sentais.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jetman includes alot drama in it, it's not like other sentais I have been watching so far. It is really good, I liked it alot. Many people said sub from cscentral is not correct and really low quality but I don't know what they are talking about since from what I see, their sub is really decent and good.
Also I found out that another fansubber group are subbing gogo five ^^
mrsmith10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree the subs for Jetman are actually pretty good. The grammar is good and from the Japanese I know, the subs always seem to match the dialog perfectly. As for the HK subs, I agree generally they are terrible. It happens a lot with Sentai's and jdramas when Hong Kong or Malaysian subbers try to translate directly from Chinese to English. Often they'll give the Chinese equivalent of the names instead of their actual Japanese names. That being said, the HK subs for the Hurricanger series weren't nearly as bad as what I've seen from Abaranger. They're not great, but the subs for Hurricanger are serviceable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I liked hurricanger, the subs weren't that bad. But I remember watching hurricanger vs abaranger and the subs were really awful, I haven't checked abaranger that much but I think its from the same subber. Still it bothers me that there are few sentais subbed that I haven't watched.

What do you think about Goseiger anyway? It seems decent and all, but somehow I think the red ranger doesn't give me a leader image (I think they wanted to try something new here). Same like gekiranger's red but I liked him there so it's good to me.
mrsmith10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've made it through 10 episodes of Goseiger and to be truthful, I really don't like it. The characters and the villains are really bland and boring. From what I've seen, there's only one episode that really had an interesting storyline (episode 10), but even then it felt like they could have done more with it.

For Gekiranger, I love the villains. Rio and Mele are some of the most well developed villains I've seen on Sentai, though the Jetman villains come close. I also love the theme song.

The other main characters however, are a mixed bag. Jan can be cool sometimes, but generally I found him to be annoying. Bae I absolutely hated and wanted to grab a giant fly swatter. I really liked Gou. He's my favorite on the Geki cast. I also kinda like Ran, but I also felt she came off as waisted potential. She didn't really get any focus and after she was named the team leader they did nothing with it. Retsu I thought was ok, and Ken I really never got a good feel for his character. But some of the side characters I did like. Master Shafu was ok, but I still like Doggie Krugar better. I did like Miki and her daughter, especially Miki.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I really love Rio and Melee too, one of the best villains all the time.
So Goseigers are no-good huh.. usually in all sentai, there are someone among the five or six (or cast usual) I don't like. Not like I hate them, but I just like others alot more. For example for boukenger it's black, for go-onger it's green and maybe blue, for shinkengers it's blue and so on. For Dekarangers though I liked them all, another great cast is Hurricangers.

When I first saw Goseigers, I was like "omg.." the cast didn't seem to suit the image of super sentai I have. Gokaigers are something different, I think they are doing fine so far and gokaiger have been enjoyable so far. Generally I have liked the theme song for all sentais, some are better than others, but all have been good.
hitomi #1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Up to episode 20 of Kamen Rider 555, have to admit I'm really enjoying it. The advantage series like these have over regular dramas is that they're so much longer, no need to rush thru things and you have time to do different plot lines and also to get to know the characters so much better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tartan wrote:
Yeah I really love Rio and Melee too, one of the best villains all the time.
So Goseigers are no-good huh.. usually in all sentai, there are someone among the five or six (or cast usual) I don't like. Not like I hate them, but I just like others alot more. For example for boukenger it's black, for go-onger it's green and maybe blue, for shinkengers it's blue and so on. For Dekarangers though I liked them all, another great cast is Hurricangers.

When I first saw Goseigers, I was like "omg.." the cast didn't seem to suit the image of super sentai I have. Gokaigers are something different, I think they are doing fine so far and gokaiger have been enjoyable so far. Generally I have liked the theme song for all sentais, some are better than others, but all have been good.

I love Hurricanger, and I agree about the cast. It's one of my favorite Sentai's so far. As for the theme songs, I tend to like most of the 2000's Sentai theme songs. My favorites are the Dekaranger theme, the Shinkenger theme, and the Gekiranger theme. However, I hate the Gaoranger theme song, although I do like Gao's outro theme. Anything before the 2000's, I don't like as much. I do like the theme songs from Jetman, Zyuranger, and Megaranger, but other than those three I really don't like any other pre-Timeranger theme song.
hitomi #1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Girls in Trouble! while not a theme song was a cool one, used for a while as the ending though. There is a theme song CD:
Saishin Super Sentai Series Theme Song Collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: