jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Food, Food, and More Food Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1165, 1166, 1167 ... 1259, 1260, 1261  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
bmwracer wrote:

Not sure why, but this third time there really impressed me... Maybe because of who I had dinner with: my bro and sis-in-law are ramen aficionados and we talked about the food while we were eating. Smile

Good company always makes for a better experience. Truly.

It does. Victory! Peace!

It's one of the best things about our immediate family get togethers: we like food and we like to talk about food... Almost to excess. Beaten

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I also noticed that Mottainai changed their table layout: less individual tables and one large community table... I guess more individuals than groups show up.

I noticed that as well last time I went there!

I thought the chairs were rather awkward to sit in... Though they did make you sit up straight. Beaten
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

I thought the chairs were rather awkward to sit in... Though they did make you sit up straight. Beaten

All in all, it sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time "breaking bread" together at Mottainai. Fabulous. Thanks for sharing.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eve wrote:
Looked delicious, Beem.

Recently ome of my neighbors who knows that we're food fans has been having us critque her goat cheese recipes and lastly a really tasty goat cheese cake with a raspberry/wine reduction sauce.

We are digging her attempts! w00t!

Ooh, I like cheesecake... The reduction sounds quite exotic. Victory! Peace!
Eve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Ooh, I like cheesecake... The reduction sounds quite exotic. Victory! Peace!

We've been really impressed.

HEr chevre cheese was fab too. Victory! Peace!

Check out my drama trade list: OMG http://www.freewebs.com/evendrama/
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eve wrote:
We've been really impressed.

HEr chevre cheese was fab too. Victory! Peace!

We needs pics, Evie. Drooling
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The McRib is Back!

NEW YORK -- The McRib, the elusive sandwich that has inspired a cult-like following, is back.

McDonald's Corp. plans to announce Monday that the boneless barbecue pork sandwich that is not always available in stores will be sold at all U.S. locations through Nov. 14.

It's usually up to local franchises to determine when and if they want to sell the McRib, except in Germany, the only place where it's available perennially. But McDonald's said the response was so great last November when it made the McRib available nationally for about three weeks – the first time it had done so since 1994 – that it decided to bring it back this year. The company declined to give specific sales numbers.

The sandwich, which is dressed with onions, pickle slices and barbecue sauce, was introduced nationally in 1982. With 500 calories and 26 grams of fat, it's slightly trimmer than the Big Mac, which has 540 calories and 29 grams of fat. And just like the Big Mac, the McRib has become a popular McDonald's offering.

There are Facebook groups like "Bring Back the McRib!!!" There are Twitter tags, where posts range from "Lucky me, the McRib is back" to "If you eat McRibs, you need to re-evaluate what it is you actually want in life." There's even the McRib Locator, a website where true believers can report McRib sightings, and even truer believers can take a road trip when one shows up within driving distance.

If the McRib is so popular, why not just offer it all the time? McDonald's likes to stoke the enthusiasm with an aura of transience.

"Bringing it back every so often adds to the excitement," said Marta Fearon, McDonald's U.S. marketing director, who added that she's not sure if the McRib will reappear in stores every fall.

And how can it be called a McRib if it doesn't have any bones? Said Fearon: "That gives it this quirky sense of humor.".
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Vintage Candy.

bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Chicken McBites, McDonald's New Version Of Popcorn Chicken, Will Go National This Spring

Well, they got the "Bites" part correct. Mr Green
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
Chicken McBites, McDonald's New Version Of Popcorn Chicken, Will Go National This Spring

Well, they got the "Bites" part correct. Mr Green

hehe
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
hehe

Karaage it ain't.
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Karaage it ain't.

Oh hellllllz no.

By the way, I saw my buddy who I hadn't seen in a while so we went to have dinner to catch up. He wanted ramen given the miserable weather so we went to Daikokuya and obviously there was a long ass line so we opted for plan B, Shinsengumi Little Tokyo because he didn't want to wait because he was hungry.

Again, the ramen was good but not up to par with Daikokuya or Mottainai in my opinion. Thing is we didn't have to wait so we settled.

My friend had never tried it so I was amenable to going there to allow him to taste it. He enjoyed it but generally agreed it was not as good as some other shops. But my friend bags on my a$$ and calls me a food snob. Beaten

Again the notion that the customizable toppings that you order come to the table BEFORE the ramen arrives irks me, because some of these toppings are cold or get cold while you wait for the actual ramen to arrive. Moreover, as such, when you dump them in the ramen it cools down the broth which is already not pipping hot.

Again good but not great...but I guess the kicker is all these extra toppings end up costing too much. We ordered two appetizers, spinach with black sesame sauce and fried cartilage, which costed about 10 bucks...so that means the rest of the bill was attributed to the ramen and the toppings. After doing the math the total bill was about 41 bucks...minus the appetizers that means two bowls of ramen with toppings costed 30 bucks! That is fuggin' insane if you ask me.

I ordered my Hakata Ramen with extra toppings which were an onsen tamago, pork belly chashu, and fried garlic chips (except for the egg these toppings are cold!)

Last edited by Tu_triky on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
But my friend bags on my a$$ and calls me a food snob. Beaten

It's the cross that us Foodies must bear with the uninitiated. Mr Green

Quote:
Again the notion that the customizable toppings that you order come to the table BEFORE the ramen arrives irks me, because some of these toppings are cold or get cold while you wait for the actual ramen to arrive. Moreover, as such, when you dump them in the ramen it cools down the broth which is already not pipping hot.

That's lame, like having shabu-shabu with tepid water. bleh
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

It's the cross that us Foodies must bear with the uninitiated.

So eloquently put, sir. Bow

Quote:

That's lame, like having shabu-shabu with tepid water. bleh

hehe hehe hehe

Dayem, dude. Funny.

Lame indeed.

Speaking of shabu shabu...any L.A. heads owe it to themselves to eat it at Kagaya, far and away the best shabu shabu-ya in L.A.

http://www.menuclub.com/californiarestaurantguide/losangelesrestaurants/kagayasuhirestaurant-6718.php

Last edited by Tu_triky on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
Speaking of shabu shabu...any L.A. heads owe it themselves to eat it at Kagaya, far and away the best shabu shabu-ya in L.A.

http://www.menuclub.com/californiarestaurantguide/losangelesrestaurants/kagayasuhirestaurant-6718.php

Whoa.

Check your credit card limit before dining. Sweat
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Whoa.

Check your credit card limit before dining. Sweat

It's fuggin' expensive I will not lie...but whatever price point you select...you do get more than just the meat & veggies for that price.

The price includes 3 seasonal appetizers (one a bowl of soup), tsukemono, the main course of meat & veggies, a zosui (rice porridge) or udon dish made with the leftover shabu shabu broth, AND a dessert course.

All things considered it's reasonable given the amount of food and the superlative quality. I've never walked out of there anything but stuffed & satisfied.

However, yes, it's not a place you would go to very often b/c of the $$$.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
It's fuggin' expensive I will not lie...but whatever price point you select...you do get more than just the meat & veggies for that price.

The price includes 3 seasonal appetizers (one a bowl of soup), tsukemono, the main course of meat & veggies, a zosui (rice porridge) or udon dish made with the leftover shabu shabu broth, AND a dessert course.

All things considered it's reasonable given the amount of food and the superlative quality. I've never walked out of there anything but stuffed & satisfied.

However, yes, it's not a place you would go to very often b/c of the $$$.

Hmm, sounds like you do get your money's worth... Victory! Peace!

Now I've got to devise a plan to get my brother's family to go....... Mr Green
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Hmm, sounds like you do get your money's worth... Victory! Peace!

Now I've got to devise a plan to get my brother's family to go....... Mr Green

Man, I will speak frankly and say I think you'll love it. You'll have to make a reservation because it's a tiny restaurant but it's well worth it in my humble opinion.

I've had the pleasure of eating there with 4 different friends and they all loved it.

There are a lot of places that I mention on this thread but there are only a handful that I go "gaga" over...this is one of them. Moreover, I honestly think you don't need to order the most expensive shabu-shabu course they have on offer to have an extraordinary meal. Even the "low end" priced shabu shabu is made with PRIME USDA beef which is much better than the vast majority of shabu-shabu-ya's offer.
Eve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

We needs pics, Evie. Drooling

Took some so theyll be part of the next batch. Victory! Peace!

Check out my drama trade list: OMG http://www.freewebs.com/evendrama/
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eve wrote:

Took some so theyll be part of the next batch. Victory! Peace!

Make it work!
bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ What he said. Victory! Peace!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1165, 1166, 1167 ... 1259, 1260, 1261  Next
Page 1166 of 1261

Jump to: