jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Health Advice/Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
Eating Curry Could Prevent Heart Disease, Study Finds

People who love a spicy curry could be eating their way to a healthy heart, researchers have discovered.

Scientists from the Chinese University of Hong Kong found that the compounds that give cayennes, jalapenos, habaneros and other chilli peppers their fiery heat help lower blood pressure and cholesterol.

The study also discovered that the piquant family of spices, called capsaicinoids, also lowers the risk of blood clots.

Researchers investigated the role of spices and the reduced risk of heart disease on laboratory hamsters, who were fed high-cholesterol diets before being split into two groups.

Only one group were given foods supplemented with capsaicinoids and scientists analysed the effects they had on the hamsters' heart health.

They discovered that the spicy compounds lowered the levels of cholesterol in hamsters by decreasing the accumulation of cholesterol by increasing the breakdown of the �ebad fats�f.

The capsaicinoids blocked the cyclooxygenase-2 gene that makes arteries contract (which restricts the blood flow through the heart).

Researchers also noted that capsaicinoids may also reduce the size of fatty deposits already in the blood vessels, which narrow arteries in a way that could lead to heart attacks or strokes.

�gWe concluded that capsaicinoids were beneficial in improving a range of factors related to heart and blood vessel health,�h explains lead author, professor Zhen-Yu Chen, reports Science Daily.

Not surprising. I've read extensively about cayenne pepper, which I've used myself numerous times...the capsaicin in it is the active constituent which provides its healthful properties.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
Not surprising. I've read extensively about cayenne pepper, which I've used myself numerous times...the capsaicin in it is the active constituent which provides its healthful properties.

Then a Scotch Bonnet must be a cure for everything. Beaten
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Definitely cure any sinus conditions!
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
Definitely cure any sinus conditions!

I think I'd choose wasabi instead.
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

I think I'd choose wasabi instead.

That's only because you might live through it. Not so with the pepper.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
That's only because you might live through it. Not so with the pepper.

Exactly. Sweat
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Exactly. Sweat

I'm with you. I've never tried a Scotch Bonnet. That's probably a good thing.
Eve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

An old time family remedy, Beem? Wink

Check out my drama trade list: OMG http://www.freewebs.com/evendrama/
bmwracer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eve wrote:
An old time family remedy, Beem? Wink

Only if you want your pipes cleaned. Beaten
Eve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Only if you want your pipes cleaned. Beaten

We actually have a neighbor who plays the bagpipes rather well.

Maybe he drinks Scotch Bonnets. hehe

bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eve wrote:
Maybe he drinks Scotch Bonnets. hehe

Or plays them.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To quote Alvin and the Chipmunks, "Me, I want a hula hoop": http://www.livestrong.com/article/338856-muscles-hula-hooping-work/
Eve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
To quote Alvin and the Chipmunks, "Me, I want a hula hoop": http://www.livestrong.com/article/338856-muscles-hula-hooping-work/

I have a copy of that on my Xmas playlist!!

I want a plane thats loops the loop! hehe

OT: Have a sore throat. Hoping nothing else comes of it. Sweat

Time for some more Airborne. Beaten

bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eve wrote:
OT: Have a sore throat. Hoping nothing else comes of it. Sweat

Time for some more Airborne. Beaten

Gargle with warm salt water, Evie... Victory! Peace!
Eve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

Gargle with warm salt water, Evie... Victory! Peace!

I'll do that. Thanks, Beem.

And take some prescription cough syrup. Can't make it through the winter without getting sick. bleh

gaijinmark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Love this Japanese Doctor!
Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Fruit very good. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Grain good too. Bottom up!

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of one, sorry. My philosophy: No pain...good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetable be bad?

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

Well... I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

AND......

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
bmwracer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

More like being a Brit is what kills you. Beaten
shin2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.
5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits.

Hmm, I'm leaving for Great Britain this Friday. So I should: A) review my CPR training cuz there's a good chance I'll need it; B) remain mute the whole time I'm there; C) frequent only Japanese, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, and German restaurants--no fish and chips or Beef Wellington. Cry
Tu_triky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

shin2 wrote:

Hmm, I'm leaving for Great Britain this Friday. So I should: A) review my CPR training cuz there's a good chance I'll need it; B) remain mute the whole time I'm there; C) frequent only Japanese, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, and German restaurants--no fish and chips or Beef Wellington. Cry

I recommend a visit to the Borough Market near London Bridge Station. It's London's outdoor wholesale food market that is open to tourists and Londoners alike on certain days.

I highly recommend the chorizo roll sandwich sold by Brindisa. It's a chorizo sausage with roasted piquillo peppers on a ciabatta roll dressed with olive oil. One of the most memorable sandwiches I've ever eaten anywhere.

bmwracer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tu_triky wrote:
It's a chorizo sausage with roasted piquillo peppers on a ciabatta roll dressed with olive oil. One of the most memorable sandwiches I've ever eaten anywhere.

In England??? Nut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 52 of 54

Jump to: