jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Does anyone here watch SUMO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ Mainoumi is the sumo version of "It's not about the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog."

Leaderboard after day 8:

Y1e Hakuho 7 - 1

Y2e Harumafuji 7 - 1

O1e Kisenosato 7 - 1

K1w Takayasu 7 - 1

M2w Takarafuji 6 - 2

M5w Yoshikaze 6 - 2

M7e Ichinojo 6 - 2

M10w Sadanoumi 6 - 2
shin2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijiamark wrote:
the sumo version of "It's not about the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog."

Terao versus Chiyonofuji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oySVOMAOq9g

Two rikishi--one who had a good career, one who had an exceptionally great career--proving that adage.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ Well, that didn't last long. Kisenosato keeping his tradition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory lost to Maegashira 4 Shohozan (who was 2-7 going into the match) so now the leaderboard looks like this:

Y1e Hakuho 8 - 2

Y2e Harumafuji 8 - 2

O1e Kisenosato 8 - 2

K1w Takayasu 8 - 2

M2w Takarafuji 8 - 2

They said Takayasu and Takarafuji fight each other tomorrow, and the Yokozunas and Kisenosato have to fight each other so who knows how this will turn out. Crazy
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don't really understand that mata, watched it a couple times and it looks like the gyoji called it right away but they were so into it they didn't stop, just kept going for a second or two.But we could have a winner with as many as four losses this basho:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww-NFtS2iC8
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Leaderboard going into the final day:

Y2e Harumafuji 12 - 2

O1e Kisenosato 11 - 3

M10e Takanoiwa 11 - 3

Y1e Hakuho 10 - 4

K1w Takayasu 10 - 4

M5w Yoshikaze 10 - 4

As the saying goes, Harumafuji controls his own destiny. He does have Hakuho the last day so he's not out of the woods by any means. Kisenosato has Goiedo and Goiedo is at 7-7 and I'm sure doesn't want a losing record so I don't think he'll be a pushover for Kisenosato.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:

As the saying goes, Harumafuji controls his own destiny.

And he did:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1esYp37f14
shin2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:

And he did:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1esYp37f14

I didn't realize this was Harumafuji's eighth yusho; given the fact that he's now in his early 30's, has been beset with injuries throughout his career, and his inconsistency as a yokozuna, one wonders if he will get to 10 championships. I hope he can achieve that milestone; he's probably my favorite rikishi of the post-Hawaiian era.

I think he benefitted from Hakuho being clearly subpar due to a toe injury. As for Kisenosato, I saw a few of his matches and, even when he won, he didn't look yokozuna-worthy.
shin2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sumo legend Chiyonofuji passes away:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/tributes-pour-in-for-chiyonofuji-following-his-death

He was only 61.

Before the Mongolian invasion, common consensus was that Chiyonofuji, Futabayama, and Taiho (in whatever order you chose) were the three greatest rikishi of all time.

With Hakuho now the record holder for most yusho, he would be the logical pick to join the other three on sumo's Mt. Rushmore.

With his aggressive fighting style, muscular build, and ineffable aura, Chiyonofuji might have been the most celebrated sumo wrestler ever.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ Chiyonofuji was before I got interested in sumo, but there's this little chat room run by a woman in Kobe that I sometimes check out. Monday she wrote, "the greatest little man passed away" and added the Wiki link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiyonofuji_Mitsugu

They had a piece on him on NHK newsline yesterday and showed some clips of some of his matches. By sumo standards he really was small, makes Harumafuji almost look like a behemoth.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Things just got easier for everybody else:

Hakuho to miss Autumn basho due to injuries

Yokozuna Hakuho will sit out the Autumn Grand Sumo Tournament starting Sunday as he is still nursing injuries.

This is the fourth time for Hakuho to miss all or part of a tourney and the first since last year's Autumn meet, when he withdrew from the third day. It will be the first time he misses an entire tournament since the 2006 Kyushu tourney, when he was an ozeki.

The 31-year-old Mongolian grand champion had been struggling to prepare for the upcoming 15-day event at Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo due to injuries to his left knee and right big toe.

Hakuho remains three wins shy of becoming the third sumo wrestler in history with 1,000 victories.

I was not aware that Hakuho hadn't missed an entire tournament in 10 years. That's a lot of slamming and banging to endure. In addition to everything else, we might call him the Lou Gehrig/Cal Ripken Jr. of sumo. Applaud

Edit: Kisenosato lost on day one. I think if Japan wants a Japanese yokozuna they better start looking somewhere else.

Edit (part 2): After day 2, yokozuna Kakyryu is 0-2. Shake Head

Day 3: Okonoumi defeats Harumafuji, Okonoumi after 3 days has beaten both yokozuna and an ozeki. Kisenosato continues to crash and burn, now at 1-2.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After the first week, here's the leaderboard:

O2e Goeido 8 - 0

Y1e Harumafuji 7 - 1

M1e Okinoumi 7 - 1

M14e Endo 7 - 1

O1e Kisenosato 6 - 2

O2w Kotoshogiku 6 - 2

S1e Takayasu 6 - 2

M8w Kotoyuki 6 - 2

Okinoumi may be in the best position to win this thing. He's fought all the Yokozuna and Ozeki, those guys will fight each other this week and I just don't see Goeido coming thru that undefeated.

A rank and filer winning a basho! As they would say in The Princess Bride, "That's inconceivable!!" Shocked

Edit: Shows what I know. After day 10, Okinoumi now at 7-3 having lost to Kaisei and Takayasu, while Goeido chugging along still undefeated 10-0. Bonk
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Leaderboard after day 12:

O2e Goeido 12 - 0

Y1e Harumafuji 10 - 2

S1e Takayasu 10 - 2

M14e Endo 10 - 2

I did some checking and over the last two years Goeido only had one basho where he had double digit victories, usually coming in at 8-7, 7-8, 9-6, just keeping his head above water. I don't know what they put in his chanko since the last basho, but they better keep it up!

Meanwhile, Okinoumi, who finished the first week 7-1 fighting the Yokozuna's and Ozeki's has crashed and burned losing his last four in a row. Beaten
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This will probably turn out to be the biggest match of the basho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al0nXDj37T8
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Goeido wins the basho, sumo wrestlers have Moms too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Ypet5GIdw
shin2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Goeido wins the basho, sumo wrestlers have Moms too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Ypet5GIdw

Goeido goes from kadoban status to achieving zensho yusho. How does that happen? Did he drink some magical elixir? Did his competitors all have off-tournaments at the same time?

I watched Goeido's later matches; he wrestled really well. But to go from the outhouse to the penthouse is dumbfounding. It's like what happened to the protagonist of the story (and later the movie) Charly.

Edit: Flowers for Algernon was the title of the original story. I knew that, but the brain isn't working so good these days.
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After day 6, Kakuryu alone at the top. First real upset, Endo over Hakuho:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5exOieiA2h0

Endo was runner-up last basho going 13-2, maybe he's starting to live up to all the hype.

Edit: Day 7, Kakuryu restores order and reminds Endo that he still has a lot to learn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5v3NfA10wU
gaijinmark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After day 9, here's the leaderboard:

Y1w Kakuryu 9 - 0

Y1e Harumafuji 8 - 1

Y2e Hakuho 8 - 1

M15e Ishiura 8 - 1

O1w Kisenosato 7 - 2

O2w Terunofuji 7 - 2

M3w Shodai 7 - 2

M10e Chiyoshoma 7 - 2

M10w Arawashi 7 - 2

Goeido is at 6-3. He's got all the tough matches coming up this week. He could very well end this basho with a losing record.
shin2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
After day 9, here's the leaderboard:

Y1w Kakuryu 9 - 0

Y1e Harumafuji 8 - 1

Y2e Hakuho 8 - 1

M15e Ishiura 8 - 1

O1w Kisenosato 7 - 2

O2w Terunofuji 7 - 2

M3w Shodai 7 - 2

M10e Chiyoshoma 7 - 2

M10w Arawashi 7 - 2

Goeido is at 6-3. He's got all the tough matches coming up this week. He could very well end this basho with a losing record.

This is shaping up to be a very interesting yusho. All three yokozuna are in the hunt; I don't think that's happened in awhile. The most interesting rikishi this tournament has been Ishiura. He's making his debut in the makuuchi division, and nothing he had done previously in the juryo division had foretold his success thus far. You can look at him as a bigger version of Mainoumi or a smaller version of Chiyonofuji. It will be interesting to see how he fares this week against better competition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Japanese Entertainment Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 14 of 21

Jump to: