jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2019   Summer 2019   Fall 2019   Winter 2020  
Japanglish
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KameSan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Japanglish Reply with quote Back to top

This is really a bit of a rant on my part, if it offends you, then ignore it. But I have a feeling there might be some people out there who feel the same way.

What I'm ranting about is "Japanglish", now I've come up with that word myself, but it sounds like the right word to use, so it might already be in use elsewhere. In case you havent worked it out, what I'm talking about is the use of English and Japanese in the same sentence.

I mean, what's the point in typing something basically entirely in English but throwing in Japanese around the place. Use ONE or the OTHER, not both in the same sentence. I read the occasional anime fan fiction here and there, and the thing that spoils most of them is the use of Japanglish.

I've seen moderate amounts of Japanglish in my time, but since coming to this forum I've seen bucket loads of it. It always strikes me as coming from someone who has just started learning Japanese or someone that is learning from watching anime/jdrama. Then there is the person who is probably in their second or so year of Japanese, who types out an entire sentence in Japanese, so only people who have studied Japanese can understand them. To me it just feels... really... tryhard (sorry if that's a little harsh.) Here's a list of the ones I see the most, in order of most often seen:

"ne" - People who just LOVE finishing half of there sentences with "ne". ie; "That was a great drama, ne?". Gar! For christ sake, if you just HAVE TO add something like that, try using "right?" or "don't you think?".

"minna"/"minnasan" etc. - You know... I've even seen this thrown in around the place in KANJI... In the middle of an ENGLISH paragraph... I mean, seriously...

"gomen" - Most people are never happy with this, so it usually becomes "gomen ne".

"kawaii" - I've never seen that word written as much in romaji as I have in these forums, "She's really kawaii ne!". I'm sorry, NO she isnt 'kawaii', but she's CUTE, yeah. (apologies to anyone who is unaware of the meaning of the word "cute", because I get the feeling there are a few).

"arigatou"/"arigato" - For some reason this one pisses me off the least, although it still does...

I could go on forever, but these are the ones that come to mind straight away. I'll just sit back and let the flames roll in now Beaten

MINNA! ARIGATOU FOR READING!!!!111one Victory! Peace!
ahochaude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I myself have never really liked the "blending" of languages in a sentence. I somewhat agree with you that it's either one way or another.
However, please understand that there are people here in this forum who are still learning the language. They will use (fillers, etc) whatever they know in Japanese and that can also be considered part of the learning process. This rant of yours is probably agreeable to those who already know the language and get irritated with the exessive use of romaji, however it is very discouraging to those who are learning the language and want to use what they know. So those who are well versed with the language on the forum have learned to be understanding of this ever occuring situation. As should you.
We should not be discouraging learning to any degree. That is unacceptable.
My suggestion, let them be. Let them get accustomed to using what they know so that when they actually use it in real life, they'll know in what situation and contexts to use it in.

Are you fluent in Japanese?

Oh yeah....

Moving to the Learn Japanese forum.

Why? Since it's the most relevant place to put this post into.

Last edited by ahochaude on Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
aizawa^hase

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

is there any rule on how we should write what we want to write here?
KameSan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

aizawa^hase wrote:
is there any rule on how we should write what we want to write here?

Nope, there isn't. And I'm not saying there should be, or that people should stop using Japanglish. Sorry, that's what I meant by a 'rant'. Prehaps I should have made it clearer, but I was just raving about something that has been pissing me off for a wile, not trying to force anything on anyone.
aizawa^hase

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i understand your feeling but for some reasons, people are more comfortable in using those words eg: kawaii, ne, etc compared to those english words because it is more natural to describe what they are feeling.
ahochaude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KameSan wrote:

Nope, there isn't. And I'm not saying there should be, or that people should stop using Japanglish. Sorry, that's what I meant by a 'rant'. Prehaps I should have made it clearer, but I was just raving about something that has been pissing me off for a wile, not trying to force anything on anyone.

I think the initial post of yours would've been better on a blog.

It maybe offensive to the majority of users on this site.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Japanglish Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
I think the initial post of yours would've been better on a blog. It maybe offensive to the majority of users on this site.

Yes, I realise that. But I don't have a blog, and I'm not going to make one just for me to rant about Japanglish. Anyway, as much as people may not like what I had to say, this is a forum, and I'm not spamming, so that means I get to express my opinion Mr Green

Last edited by KameSan on Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ahochaude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You do have a point there however....

I was not sure whether or not if you had a blog.

And I was also wondering if you get a kick out of upsetting others. Because as of now, it seems as if that's the case, considering your past threads.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
And I was also wondering if you get a kick out of upsetting others. As of now, it seems as that's the case.

Oh no, that's not the case at all. It's been on my mind for a wile, so I thaught I would express myself by posting about it on this forum. I was also curious if anyone felt the same way.

On that note, I could also say your comment; "As of now, it seems as that's the case." is aimed ut upsetting me Sweat

Anyway, don't take it to heart everyone, if you feel the need to use English and Japanese in the same sentance, be my guest.
ahochaude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KameSan wrote:

Oh no, that's not the case at all. It's been on my mind for a wile, so I thaught I would express myself by posting about it on this forum. I was also curious if anyone felt the same way.

Apparently, you haven't read my post earlier in this thread.

KameSan wrote:
On that note, I could also say your comment; "As of now, it seems as that's the case." is aimed ut upsetting me Sweat
It's not aimed at upsetting you.
As of now, I've noticed that you made a lot of duplicate threads without even making the attempt to do a search, given the exception of this thread.
That was just the vibe I got off of you providing your past posts. I'm sure it's not only myself.
Anyway, you got my PM, right? So please comply from here on.

KameSan wrote:
Anyway, don't take it to heart everyone, if you feel the need to use English and Japanese in the same sentance, be my guest.
I'm sure they will continue to regardless of this apology. Wink

*edit* Actually, on second thought, I'm going to move this into the "Got Something You Wanna Say Thread".

A rant will be a better fit in that thread than this forum.

Last edited by ahochaude on Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
KameSan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
Apparently, you haven't read my post earlier in this thread.

Oh, I had, I was just clarifying in response to your second post.

ahochaude wrote:
It's not aimed at upsetting you.
As of now, I've noticed that you made a lot of duplicate threads without even making the attempt to do a search, given the exception of this thread.
That was just the vibe I got off of you providing your past posts. I'm sure it's not only myself.
Anyway, you got my PM, right? So please comply from here on.

As I discussed with you in the PM, I have only created one duplicate post.

ahochaude wrote:
I'm sure they will continue to regardless of this apology.

That apology was just me clarifying that I am not trying to force my opinions on anyone. Rather, just expressing myself.

EDIT - It just occoured to me. I'm starting to feel as though I am under attack by you ahochaude. If you have a problem with the way I express myself, please do so via PM. This post is becoming off-topic.
ahochaude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KameSan wrote:

That apology was just me clarifying that I am not trying to force my opinions on anyone. Rather, just expressing myself.

Good.

I think we are done here then?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
Good.

I think we are done here then?

Our little spar is over, sure. But I would still like to hear other's opinions on what I had to say.
ahochaude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KameSan wrote:
Our little spar is over, sure.
But of course.
And I've never even considered it as a "spar" in the first place.
A difference in opinion, however.

KameSan wrote:
But I would still like to hear other's opinions on what I had to say.
You are more than welcomed to. I'm sure they will respond.
This thread is highly viewed, so I do not think that you have anything to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you really think it wasn�ft a �espar�f? It kind of felt that way the way we were both kind of responding defensively to each other, and the way you posted an issue about my use of the forum in public rather than PMing me about it.

Oh well, I enjoyed it nevertheless.
ahochaude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just saw this....

KameSan wrote:
EDIT - It just occoured to me. I'm starting to feel as though I am under attack by you ahochaude. If you have a problem with the way I express myself, please do so via PM. This post is becoming off-topic.
No. You're not under attack by myself.
I've expressed my problem with your creating new threads without placing them in their respective places already via PM.
This thread is another matter. Or "was" rather. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Japanglish Reply with quote Back to top

KameSan wrote:
I mean, what's the point in typing something basically entirely in English but throwing in Japanese around the place.

Boy did you come to the wrong place! Smile

I find it weird that you think mixing a little Japanese in with English is somehow out of place, especially on a website where people who appreciate Japanese culture and language congregate.

Let people express themselves the way they want, not the way you want. Life it too short to get all ranty about such little things.
KameSan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Japanglish Reply with quote Back to top

loris wrote:
Let people express themselves the way they want, not the way you want. Life it too short to get all ranty about such little things.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from expressing anything the way they want. Rather, I'm trying to express myself on an issue that has been on my mind for a long time now.
ahochaude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Currently working on reviving the topic....

Temporary locking..........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ermm, my actual ranting part isn't there Crazy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: