jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2017   Summer 2017   Fall 2017   Winter 2018  
Japanese Language Questions? Ask Here.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 100, 101, 102  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sengo



Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 450
Location: United States
Country: United States

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Bedi wrote:



心よりお悔やみ申し上げます [kokoro yori okuyami moushiagemasu] (Meaning: Me deepest condolences).

If you just want to say, "My condolences," then perhaps ご愁傷様です (goshuushou sama desu)


Bedi,

Thank you so much for the translations! I was really stumped on what to say.

Really appreciate it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Juris_7



Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Posts: 1


PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: When to use "wa" or "wo" Reply with quote Back to top

I just started reading some books and trying to learn to speak Japanese, however, i'm a bit confused..

I know that "wa" after a word indicates the subject/topic of the sentence, but i also noticed that sometimes they use "wo"

does anybody know when i should use "wa" or "wo"?

thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125501
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You should be asking this question in the existing thread: http://jdorama.com/viewtopic.304.htm

Please read the Posting Guidelines before starting any new threads.

Merging.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gaijinmark



Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 11555
Location: The real world, no alternative facts
Country: Finland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: When to use "wa" or "wo" Reply with quote Back to top

Juris_7 wrote:
I just started reading some books and trying to learn to speak Japanese, however, i'm a bit confused..

I know that "wa" after a word indicates the subject/topic of the sentence, but i also noticed that sometimes they use "wo"

does anybody know when i should use "wa" or "wo"?

thanks!


ahochaude explained it back on page 12 of this thread:

Quote:
"GA" is pretty much the same type of particle as "HA" (wa).
You'd attach these 2 particles with the subject of conversation.
Ex. "Ore ga .............." "Ore ha............." "Kimi ga.................." "Kimi ha............" "Ore no kutsu GA chou boroboro da yo/Ore no kutsu HA chou boroboro da yo" (My shoes are so tattered.)
"O" (wo) is a function marker you'd attach before the verb. (There are some exceptions though which I'll explain a little later.)
Ex. "Tegami O kakimashita" (I wrote a letter) "Eiga O mimashita" (I saw a movie)
Basically "O" (wo) is an action particle.
Now the exception to this rule is "NI" or "HE" (same thing.)
You'd apply these 2 function markers to "Iku" (go) and "Kuru" (come). Literally these particles mean "to".
Ex. "Mise NI ikimashita" (I went to the shop) "Kare ga Hawaii ni kimashita" (He came to Hawaii)
This rule applies to the verbs "take" and "bring" as well. This is because the 2 verbs mentioned above have "Iku" and "Kuru" as a part of the word.
Take- Motteiku Bring-Mottekuru
The "Motte" comes from the verb "Motsu" (to have (in possession))
Mostu + Iku = to have in possession and go (Motteiku=Take)
Motsu + Kuru = to have in possessin and come (Mottekuru=Bring)
So you'd apply "NI" or "HE" when you use the words Take and Bring.
Hope this helps. (I'm not really good in explainations.)


Lot of good info in this thread, if you have time, you might want to read thru it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ahochaude



Joined: 01 Oct 2003
Posts: 10291
Location: Matsuhama-cho, Ashiya-shi, Hyogo-ken, Japan
Country: United States

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: When to use "wa" or "wo" Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
ahochaude explained it back on page 12 of this thread:

SNIP



Holy crap! Has it been that long already?!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NocturnalOcean



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 8
Location: Norway
Country: Norway

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: When to use "wa" or "wo" Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:


Lot of good info in this thread, if you have time, you might want to read thru it.


Not to be rude, but if one wants to improve one's Japanese further than just knowing a few sentence, this information isn't good at all. Simply because it isn't correct.

In Japanese, it is very important to make a difference between Subject and Topic.
Topic in Japanese use Wa. Subjects use Ga.
Even though there are sentences where ga/wa are interchangable, doesn't mean they mean the same.

Also wo is not a function marker, it is an object marker. It marks the direct object in a sentence. Transitive sentence(sentences with an object)such as "I stopped the car" takes wo (kuruma wo tometa). Intransitive sentences(without an object) takes ga . Example: (The car stopped) / Kuruma ga tomatta.

Further ni and he are not the same. They can be interchangable in almost all cases where ni marks direction, but the meaning slightly differs.

Osaka ni ikimashita = I went to Osaka
Osaka he ikimashita = I went in the direction of Osaka (which is pretty much same as I went to Osaka)
These sentences he/ni can be interchangable without much nuances, however this is only when ni marks direction.


My best tip for people interested in learning Japanese, is not to swallow all information you get on forums like this, but get a textbook so you can at least grasp the basic grammar of Japanese, then it will be much easier to pick up information elsewhere, and judge whether it is correct or wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gaijinmark



Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 11555
Location: The real world, no alternative facts
Country: Finland

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let's see, , , you used my quote, then criticized aho's post. I'm thoroughly confused. Head Scratch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Itazura ichiban



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Posts: 916
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm confused, too. bleh

Isn't "ga" used with "aru" or with questions?
_________________
- Douglas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NocturnalOcean



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 8
Location: Norway
Country: Norway

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
Let's see, , , you used my quote, then criticized aho's post. I'm thoroughly confused. Head Scratch


Sorry, that was misqouting by me. I meant to refer to the whole post. Not just your comment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NocturnalOcean



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 8
Location: Norway
Country: Norway

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Itazura ichiban wrote:
I'm confused, too. bleh

Isn't "ga" used with "aru" or with questions?


The particle ga appears in many cases.
It can be used with aru. Wo cannot be used. Ni however is often used.
It is also normally used with adjectives like suki. Though wo can also be used in modern Japanese.
Ga also normally comes in front of potential verbs, though wo can be used. (Dekiru is an exception, it always takes ga).

Not sure what you mean by questions.
But ga is always used after questions words(the topic marker wa cannot be used)
Example: Dare ga yatta no? "dare wa yatta no" is wrong.
Wa as well cannot be used in subordinate clauses, only ga can be used.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Itazura ichiban



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Posts: 916
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NocturnalOcean wrote:

Not sure what you mean by questions.
But ga is always used after questions words(the topic marker wa cannot be used)


That's the basic answer I was seeking. But it opened a can of worms. Looks more complex than I thought. Doh!
_________________
- Douglas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bolt_krank



Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 3


PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: What is GA ? Reply with quote Back to top

Depending on where it's put, it can be a different word.

It can be used as "but", or "even though" emphasising contrast.
When used with verbs - it means "is doing".

ga aru refers to aru = 有る . This means to exists or be in a certain state.

kuruma ga aru = 車がある :: car is existing equiv. there is a car


kuruma ga aru ga = 車があるが :: car is existing but ... equiv. there is a car, however ...

So in this sentence the 2 "ga"s are completely different in meaning. It's best to think of them as completely different words that just sound the same.


This isn't everything - but I thought I'd add some input.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cvpzzzz



Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Location: Jakarta
Country: Indonesia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

konbanwa..
i really interested in japanese language too..
i've been learn it for 4 month now..
it's so interesting to learn japanese..
everyone that want to learn japanese should be learn the hiragana and katakana font first...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brad12



Joined: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Location: United States
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How do you say "I love you" in Japanese?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ken Sanada



Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 33
Location: Japan
Country: Japan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

brad12 wrote:
How do you say "I love you" in Japanese?


You can say "kimi wo Ai shiteru or Ai shiteru" in Japanese.
_________________
Ken Sanada
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Itazura ichiban



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Posts: 916
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

THE BIG ONE.
Earthquake is AFAIK, "jishin", right?
Do Japanese refer to "the big one" as dai-jishin or o-jishin?
_________________
- Douglas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gaijinmark



Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 11555
Location: The real world, no alternative facts
Country: Finland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I asked my friend in Kobe, and she said, "Both are OK."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Itazura ichiban



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Posts: 916
Location: SF Bay Area
Country: United States

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you, I wasn't sure if one of them had an inappropriately positive connotation. Victory! Peace!
_________________
- Douglas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gaijinmark



Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Posts: 11555
Location: The real world, no alternative facts
Country: Finland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

She gave a further explanation:

"大地震 = 大 + 地震
地震 is one of 漢語 kango ( words from China ) and it is a rule to pronounce 大 dai when it comes before a kango.
According to this rule it is correct to pronounced 大地震 daijishin.
But today 地震 is regarded as Japanese 和語 wago and 大 is pronounced oo if it comes before wago.
Actually NHK uses oojishin as pronunciation of 大地震.
My computer works on both pronunciations おおじしん and だいじしん to change into 大地震.

大震災 is pronounced daishinsai. Don't say ooshinsai."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tu_triky



Joined: 15 Jun 2004
Posts: 46182
Location: Los Skandolous, California
Country: United States

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

gaijinmark wrote:
She gave a further explanation:

"大地震 = 大 + 地震
地震 is one of 漢語 kango ( words from China ) and it is a rule to pronounce 大 dai when it comes before a kango.
According to this rule it is correct to pronounced 大地震 daijishin.
But today 地震 is regarded as Japanese 和語 wago and 大 is pronounced oo if it comes before wago.
Actually NHK uses oojishin as pronunciation of 大地震.
My computer works on both pronunciations おおじしん and だいじしん to change into 大地震.

大震災 is pronounced daishinsai. Don't say ooshinsai."


What about daibakayaro instead of oobakayaro?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 101 of 102

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum