jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Fall 2016   Winter 2017   Spring 2017   Summer 2017  
Japanese Culture
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joyce



Joined: 19 Jun 2001
Posts: 160
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Japan cultures... Reply with quote Back to top

hiyee Big Grin
i would like to learn more about japanese cultures.can anyone tell mi or recommand any website that i can go to find out...?
eg, y would japanese eat red bean rice when there is some special occasions? y japanese from Osaka wanna throw salts at those ppl that they think are unlucky?(see this from the Risou no kekkon ) Mr Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juliana_phang



Joined: 14 Dec 2001
Posts: 2416
Location: Le-Ciel, 1F,No.9 IS-Building, 1-13-6, Ebisu, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan 150-0013

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

throw salt?
opz
haha..all this while i thought they throw rice... Sweat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joyce



Joined: 19 Jun 2001
Posts: 160
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mr Green rice? i m not veri sure too....but i remember 1 pt that Mari's(Tokiwa Takako) father ask Mari's mum to throw salts at Otaki's (Takenouchi Yutaka) mum...as to ward off the bad luck... Mr Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pemu



Joined: 23 Apr 2003
Posts: 1656
Location: Europe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll look for sites which have articles about Japanese culture. Dun remember where I put the links. May take some time.

Has anyone ever tried a Japanese breakfast? Especially a raw egg mixed into rice, ugh! It looked awful, tasted "different".
Had twice while I was in Tokyo. Dunno why I had twice.
Gotta love miso soup and pickles too hehe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joyce



Joined: 19 Jun 2001
Posts: 160
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pemu wrote:
I'll look for sites which have articles about Japanese culture. Dun remember where I put the links. May take some time.

Has anyone ever tried a Japanese breakfast? Especially a raw egg mixed into rice, ugh! It looked awful, tasted "different".
Had twice while I was in Tokyo. Dunno why I had twice.
Gotta love miso soup and pickles too hehe
taste different? so is it nice?...won't it have an awful smell... Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pemu



Joined: 23 Apr 2003
Posts: 1656
Location: Europe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Joyce wrote:
Pemu wrote:
I'll look for sites which have articles about Japanese culture. Dun remember where I put the links. May take some time.

Has anyone ever tried a Japanese breakfast? Especially a raw egg mixed into rice, ugh! It looked awful, tasted "different".
Had twice while I was in Tokyo. Dunno why I had twice.
Gotta love miso soup and pickles too hehe
taste different? so is it nice?...won't it have an awful smell... Sad

You referin the smell to "natto" beans? Eaten breakfast? Yes, they smell awful. Can't remember the taste. At least I remember I had hard time swallowin the rice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joyce



Joined: 19 Jun 2001
Posts: 160
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pemu wrote:
[You referin the smell to "natto" beans? Eaten breakfast? Yes, they smell awful. Can't remember the taste. At least I remember I had hard time swallowin the rice.
eh...i m confuse here...din u sae it was raw egg at first? y natto.... Rolling eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pemu



Joined: 23 Apr 2003
Posts: 1656
Location: Europe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Raw egg mixed into rice doesn't have that awful smell. You have asked in your previous message.
Rice with natto beans. Yes, the smell is awful!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joyce



Joined: 19 Jun 2001
Posts: 160
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pemu wrote:
Raw egg mixed into rice doesn't have that awful smell. You have asked in your previous message.
Rice with natto beans. Yes, the smell is awful!
oic...for mi even that raw egg mixed into rice doesn't have the awful smell, i won't even touch it...juz dun like to eat raw eggs.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vienna_sg



Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 225
Location: S'pore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Does the natto bean taste that bad?? I never tried before....hehe. How does it taste and smell??

By the way, those from S'pore, did you watch Japan Hour? They featured the food so tastly that it always make my mouth watering
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kook05



Joined: 05 May 2003
Posts: 718
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

vienna_sg wrote:
Does the natto bean taste that bad?? I never tried before....hehe. How does it taste and smell??

By the way, those from S'pore, did you watch Japan Hour? They featured the food so tastly that it always make my mouth watering


yeh man!!! all the food featured sure looked dam oishii!!!!! *drool* *drool*

would lurve to try natto... simply cos' TK lurve it!!! heh heh.... Mr Green Mr Green Beaten
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Joyce



Joined: 19 Jun 2001
Posts: 160
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kook05 wrote:
vienna_sg wrote:
Does the natto bean taste that bad?? I never tried before....hehe. How does it taste and smell??

By the way, those from S'pore, did you watch Japan Hour? They featured the food so tastly that it always make my mouth watering


yeh man!!! all the food featured sure looked dam oishii!!!!! *drool* *drool*

would lurve to try natto... simply cos' TK lurve it!!! heh heh.... Mr Green Mr Green Beaten
i love japanese food too...but no1 wanna accompany to any japanese rest to eat...*sob*
everytime i suggest to eat jap food...my frenz will strongly disagree 1....but sometime they have no choice... Mr Green

wah...kooko...u really ai wu ji wu....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kook05



Joined: 05 May 2003
Posts: 718
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Joyce wrote:
i love japanese food too...but no1 wanna accompany to any japanese rest to eat...*sob*
everytime i suggest to eat jap food...my frenz will strongly disagree 1....but sometime they have no choice... Mr Green

wah...kooko...u really ai wu ji wu....


haha... actually me got the same prob...

natto... curious mah... seriously wonder how it taste like...
saw it at Isetan supermkt... perhaps will buy one and try someday... Mr Green Mr Green

ai wu ji wu?? i know i've heard that before... but jus can't remember the meaning.... Beaten Beaten
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Joyce



Joined: 19 Jun 2001
Posts: 160
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

heee...i oso wanna try if i have the chance...beside that i oso love japanese desserts too... Good

ai wu ji wu means...love the things that someone(usually refer to ur darling?)love too... Mr Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vienna_sg



Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 225
Location: S'pore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

At Liang Court supermarket, they actually got a quite authentic Japanese restaurant. I notice a lot of Japanese went to there.

In the supermarket, they sell authentic japanese ice-cream too eg green tea with red bean or sweet potato with <- i forget what fillings it is. Cost only $2.80 a cone. Oishii.... Drooling
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
:::hALuCin8:::



Joined: 04 Jun 2003
Posts: 377
Location: "Sin City" (Las Vegas, NV, USA)
Country: Philippines

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pemu wrote:
Has anyone ever tried a Japanese breakfast? Especially a raw egg mixed into rice, ugh! It looked awful, tasted "different".


You mean "good" different? Raw eggs mixed into rice??? Google Yeck! Nasty! I wouldn't eat that...after I nearly threw up when I drank a healthy milk shake w/ raw eggs! ill
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
himitsu



Joined: 24 Apr 2003
Posts: 242
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: nattos beans Reply with quote Back to top

heh...i happen to like them hehe
think if u go to jap restaurants they will have nattos beans with sth else and then u will stir them using chopsticks (like wat u alwasy see actors do in the dramas) whoaaa.....then after stirring u can eat it oishii~~~~~
Liang COurt now no more, now is MEidi-ya...i still rem they used to sell all sorts of ice cream imported from japan and they are vvv nice..but now dont seem to see them ard at the new supermkt Shake Head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
himitsu



Joined: 24 Apr 2003
Posts: 242
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: o-bento Reply with quote Back to top

Ever wonder what the japanese have in their bento? here's a website that shows what are some of the homemade bento they have http://www.sugawara.com/

dont drool Rolling eyes

here's a list of websites on the festivals in japan
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2062.html

http://leahi.kcc.hawaii.edu/~jclub/festival/main.htm

tea ceremony: http://www.teahyakka.com/

i just selected a few to post ...so pls enjoy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joyce



Joined: 19 Jun 2001
Posts: 160
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

vienna_sg wrote:
At Liang Court supermarket, they actually got a quite authentic Japanese restaurant. I notice a lot of Japanese went to there.

In the supermarket, they sell authentic japanese ice-cream too eg green tea with red bean or sweet potato with <- i forget what fillings it is. Cost only $2.80 a cone. Oishii.... Drooling
really?!... Naughty but liang court..like veri far leh.... Mr Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joyce



Joined: 19 Jun 2001
Posts: 160
Location: Singapore
Country: Singapore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: o-bento Reply with quote Back to top

himitsu wrote:
Ever wonder what the japanese have in their bento? here's a website that shows what are some of the homemade bento they have http://www.sugawara.com/

dont drool Rolling eyes

here's a list of websites on the festivals in japan
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2062.html

http://leahi.kcc.hawaii.edu/~jclub/festival/main.htm

tea ceremony: http://www.teahyakka.com/

i just selected a few to post ...so pls enjoy
thankz..... Wink
wow...the bento really look oiishi!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> Learn Japanese All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum