jdorama.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  Log inLog in 
Top 100
Top 100
Spring 2017   Summer 2017   Fall 2017   Winter 2018  
Basketball (NBA, College, etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 367, 368, 369  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super No. 1



Joined: 25 Aug 2001
Posts: 193
Location: San Pedro, CA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Slackey wrote:


About Kobe going to the Spurs, I think it would be a good team with Duncan, Parker, and Bryant...but I'm not sure Kobe's ego can handle, not only NOT being the star, but possibly playing second to BOTH Duncan and Parker.


Exactly, Kobe wants to go to a team where he is the only star. I've never really liked Kobe because I think he's an incredibly selfish player. I hope the goes to some really sucky team like the Clippers or the Warriors. Then, he can be the big star on some horrible team. hehe
_________________
Nergene A.
super-no1.com - (Owner)
J!-ENT - (Photographer)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125495
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Slackey wrote:
I won $20 from my bro, $20 from my dad and $20 from a friend. They laughed at me for picking the Pistons over the Lakers! Girls don't know about basketball they says. Ha! Whose laughing now.

The question is, when did you make that bet? At the beginning of the series or after game one? two? three?

Quote:
Anyway, the Lakers lost because they aren't a team. It's either give Kobe the ball or give Shaq the ball. It worked in the past because no one person was physically able to gaurd Shaq so he was usually double teamed leaving Kobe open. But the Pistons finally had what it took as Ben Wallace contained Shaq to an average of 24 pts (which is great considering Shaq avg. 36 pts going into the finals) and played unselfish ball with all the starters averaging ~20 pts a piece. Now the Pistons have to start working on resigning Wallace (shouldn't be problem though).

Sheeez, you knows your hoops! Applaud Your assessment is correct: nobody but nobody stepped up to help with the scoring and Kobe was struggling all series long. Detroit's D was the cause of most of it, since they essentially slacked off the other three players who couldn't score a lick and doubled Shaq and Kobe... And the Lakers D was nonexistent, since Chauncey Billups lit them up the entire series and they ran the ball down the Lakes' throat at every opportunity. Sad. No, pathetic.

Quote:
About Kobe going to the Spurs, I think it would be a good team with Duncan, Parker, and Bryant...but I'm not sure Kobe's ego can handle, not only NOT being the star, but possibly playing second to BOTH Duncan and Parker.

I think Kobe could coexist with Duncan since he's unselfish and Parker is a true point guard than can also score. But what's important to Kobe? Money? Fame? Championships?

Quote:
I'm sad that the Lakers lost though a little bit. I was hoping that Malone can finally get that championship he always wanted. Instead his team lost AND he was riding the pine most of the finals. Not a good way to end your career (seeing as I think it's likely he will retire). I haven't felt this bad for a player since Dan Marino!

Hmm, I feel bad for Malone too, even though I hated his guts in Utah...

Dan Marino?? Ugh. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geezer



Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Posts: 3125
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Born and raised a Knicks fan, and a Warriors fan ever since Mully came west, I've hated the Lakers for decades. So no sympathy from this corner.

But the Laker fans on this page seem to be taking the loss like adults... so kudos to youz.

I could care less about the Pistons, but I'm glad Coach Brown finally got his ring.

My guess, if Bryant isn't in S.Q. next year, he'll still be playing for the Lakers.

As for Dan Marino... What can I say? My Niners beat his butt so bad in '84 he never sniffed a Championship again. And that's always brought a smile to my face.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Slackey



Joined: 24 Jan 2002
Posts: 137
Location: San Francisco,CA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

The question is, when did you make that bet? At the beginning of the series or after game one? two? three?


That would be right after game 2 when it was 1-1....they felt that was the turning point and Detriot just "got lucky" the first game. I love making bets with people who are so confident....it's easier to reel 'em in. hehe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Slackey



Joined: 24 Jan 2002
Posts: 137
Location: San Francisco,CA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ooops,accidentally hit it twice, might as well do something constructive.

Geezer wrote:
As for Dan Marino... What can I say? My Niners beat his butt so bad in '84 he never sniffed a Championship again. And that's always brought a smile to my face.


A fellow 49er fan! Still kinda sad seeing a hall of fame player leaving without a ring on his finger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
eltinator



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 6787
Location: Fremont, CA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Slackey wrote:
Ooops,accidentally hit it twice, might as well do something constructive.



A fellow 49er fan! Still kinda sad seeing a hall of fame player leaving without a ring on his finger.


hehehe, I used to be a 49ers fan but then they made steve young retire and tried to make jerry rice retire and that completely pissed me off. yea they're not as good as they once were but hall of famers like Jerry Rice and Steve Young don't deserve to be told when to retire, they have the right to decide on their own so it's probably no surprise that I'm with the Raiders hehe hehe hehe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
amethyst216



Joined: 09 Oct 2003
Posts: 128
Location: cali
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Takez0 wrote:
I won 100 bucks betting they would lose Applaud

i also won $100. . .lol. . .got it this morning. . .cant really buy much with it though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125495
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Super No. 1 wrote:
Exactly, Kobe wants to go to a team where he is the only star. I've never really liked Kobe because I think he's an incredibly selfish player. I hope the goes to some really sucky team like the Clippers or the Warriors. Then, he can be the big star on some horrible team. hehe

Yep, at times he gets really selfish. I wonder if all of that hoopla naming him the next Michael Jordan got to his head... Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125495
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:
As for Dan Marino... What can I say? My Niners beat his butt so bad in '84 he never sniffed a Championship again. And that's always brought a smile to my face.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA... Me too. I've always been a Joe Montana fan since his days with the Fighting Catholics, er, Irish... A great QB. Maybe the best ever. Big Grin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125495
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eltinator wrote:
it's probably no surprise that I'm with the Raiders hehe hehe hehe

The Raiders???!!! Yuck. Talk about a prison team in the NFL!! Oh wait, that's the fans... hehe hehe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geezer



Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Posts: 3125
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA... Me too. I've always been a Joe Montana fan since his days with the Fighting Catholics, er, Irish... A great QB. Maybe the best ever. Big Grin


Maybe? No maybe about it (in my totally unbiased opinion;-).) I used to go to the Jets games at Shea, and I never thought I'd see anyone better than Joe Namath. Then I moved to S.F. and the scales fell from my eyes.

I'm rooting for Dorsey now... mostly because his parents live down the street from me.

Elton,

You left the Niners because they forced Steve and Jerry out, but you go with the Raiders??? A team that walked out on the most loyal fan base in football? And then walked out again (on the flakiest fan base) when L.A. wouldn't/couldn't give them everything they wanted? And a team that's still threatening to walk out on Oakland again?

You can have those bums.

Back to Steve and Jerry. You bet they had to force them out. Hall of Famers pretty much always have to be forced out. That's what makes them Hall of Famers. They never quit. It's why Namath ended his career on the bench in L.A. Why Unitas ended his career on the bench in San Diego. Why O.J. (murder not withstanding) ended his career on the bench in S.F.

The only two guys I can think of who walked away with anything left in the tank were Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. I can think of a lot who had to be dragged off the field screaming and kicking.

Back to the Lakers just to make this post fit into the thread.

I hope O'Neil and Bryant both leave! Maybe if they do the Warriors can steal that coveted 8th spot in the playoffs. (Probably not, but I can dream.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nacho



Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 24
Location: So. Cal, USA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i'm from LA and I can't stand the Lakers! I was so glad they lost. The local sport radio stations have those conspriracy theories. I won $20 (this is before the playoffs!)

Kobe is the poster boy of the NBA--selfish individual players. They think about themself, before the team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125495
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:
I hope O'Neil and Bryant both leave! Maybe if they do the Warriors can steal that coveted 8th spot in the playoffs. (Probably not, but I can dream.)

Shaq is stuck here in L.A. for at least another year, if not two. I'd rather see him leave than Kobe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125495
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nacho wrote:
Kobe is the poster boy of the NBA--selfish individual players. They think about themself, before the team.

Kobe may be selfish on the court at times, but his dedication to the game is beyond reproach.

If you want to talk selfish, look at Shaq: near-zero dedication to the game... He's overweight, can't shoot FTs if his life depended on it, and always pisses and moans about getting enough touches... I will NEVER put him in the same class of centers as Chamberlain, Russell, and Jabbar. NEVER.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eltinator



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 6787
Location: Fremont, CA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:

You left the Niners because they forced Steve and Jerry out, but you go with the Raiders??? A team that walked out on the most loyal fan base in football? And then walked out again (on the flakiest fan base) when L.A. wouldn't/couldn't give them everything they wanted? And a team that's still threatening to walk out on Oakland again?


Well if they never left LA then they would never be here for me to watch eh Bleah hehe But I actually like they're messed up way of playing. It's pretty funny how everyone hates them. I guess I play devils advocate when I say "Go Raiders" but that's my team, I live and die with them.

Geezer wrote:

Back to Steve and Jerry. You bet they had to force them out. Hall of Famers pretty much always have to be forced out. That's what makes them Hall of Famers. They never quit. It's why Namath ended his career on the bench in L.A. Why Unitas ended his career on the bench in San Diego. Why O.J. (murder not withstanding) ended his career on the bench in S.F.


Yea I suppose you're right but what I'm getting at is these 2 guys have contributed so much to the game that they shouldn't be told when to retire. It's sort of like Barry Bonds in the all star game. He doesn't get told how many at bats he gets, he can decide how many at bats he wants. Whether they're washed up or at the end of the bench it still doesn't discredit what they have done they're entire career, it shouldn't be a desicion left to the team, it should be the player. And who can argue that Jerry Rice can't play anymore? He isn't as good as he once was but he's a lot better than a bunch of receivers in the league still.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
niko2x



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 4009
Location: East Coast, US
Country: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
If you want to talk selfish, look at Shaq: near-zero dedication to the game... He's overweight, can't shoot FTs if his life depended on it, and always pisses and moans about getting enough touches... I will NEVER put him in the same class of centers as Chamberlain, Russell, and Jabbar. NEVER.
it's funny how my dad pronounces his name cantonese style: o'neal="oh-liu". you pronounce it that way and it means to urinate. LOL!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
ahochaude



Joined: 01 Oct 2003
Posts: 10291
Location: Matsuhama-cho, Ashiya-shi, Hyogo-ken, Japan
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmwracer wrote:
Yeah, we knew that since yesterday.


Aww, did I hit a nerve?! Bleah
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geezer



Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Posts: 3125
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This isn't a football page, or a football thread, so I won't natter on after this, but---

"...these 2 guys have contributed so much to the game that they shouldn't be told when to retire."

Wrong.

From Pee-Wee, to High School, to College, to the Pros, the team, the Coach, is always the one to make the decision on who plays and who doesn't.

The player always (ALWAYS!) wants to play. Great players always think they can still play.

It's the Coach's and the Team's responsibility to sit a player, or cut a player, if they think that player could be seriously hurt if they were put back in the game.

I don't think you can compare Baseball to Football here. In baseball a player who is past it can still play. He only embarasses himself, and maybe he hurts his team's chances for a Championship.

In football, the player could end up dead, or crippled for the rest of his life.

Steve Young was on the road to becoming the next Slappsy Maxie Rosenbloom. And he knew it. That's why, for all his public protestations, he didn't try to sign on with another team.

Jerry? I love Jerry. But that's a different discussion. That was all about age, money, and the idea of putting the team ahead of the individual player.

Walsh has alwasy said, it's better to cut a guy a year too early, rather than a year too late. And I think he's right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
eltinator



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 6787
Location: Fremont, CA
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geezer wrote:
This isn't a football page, or a football thread, so I won't natter on after this, but---

"...these 2 guys have contributed so much to the game that they shouldn't be told when to retire."

Wrong.

From Pee-Wee, to High School, to College, to the Pros, the team, the Coach, is always the one to make the decision on who plays and who doesn't.

The player always (ALWAYS!) wants to play. Great players always think they can still play.

It's the Coach's and the Team's responsibility to sit a player, or cut a player, if they think that player could be seriously hurt if they were put back in the game.

I don't think you can compare Baseball to Football here. In baseball a player who is past it can still play. He only embarasses himself, and maybe he hurts his team's chances for a Championship.

In football, the player could end up dead, or crippled for the rest of his life.

Steve Young was on the road to becoming the next Slappsy Maxie Rosenbloom. And he knew it. That's why, for all his public protestations, he didn't try to sign on with another team.

Jerry? I love Jerry. But that's a different discussion. That was all about age, money, and the idea of putting the team ahead of the individual player.

Walsh has alwasy said, it's better to cut a guy a year too early, rather than a year too late. And I think he's right.


I know Steve was on the downside of his career and hec I don't think he would have lasted 8 more games let alone 16 but I'm not a big supporter on the front office paying a guy a million bucks to call it quits. I guess there are 2 ways to look at it. The team wants to do the best thing for their player or the team doesn't care about their player. Personally I saw the situation as the 49ers wanting to save money and forcing Young to quit while still trying to save face and having him retire as a 49er. I was a big 49er so I saw it as a stab in the back for young. That's just how I saw it but it is sports and nothing is nice in sports; it's a business anyways right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
bmwracer



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Posts: 125495
Location: Juri-chan's speed dial
Country: United States

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ahochaude wrote:
Aww, did I hit a nerve?! Bleah

I guess. At first, I thought the post was from The Man... hehe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    jdorama.com Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 367, 368, 369  Next
Page 2 of 369

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum